1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppression

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Blackbirdz, Mar 25, 2016.

1. 741852963

Re: NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppres

The NUS are beyond a joke but it is truly scary how much resources they have and thus how big a platform/reach they have. Most students are suckered in to paying the NUS a fee for discount cards/the right to join their own universities societies.

It is hard to know where even to begin.

-They are mindless SJWs campaigning for "safe spaces", trigger warnings and trying to outdo each other with how oppressed they are.

-They claim to act on behalf of every minority they can get their hands on to further their b*ll. Take Baha Mustafa claiming to act on behalf of "queer people", when a. clearly only trying to further her own radical feminist agenda and b. isolating and attacking members of that very community (i.e. white gay and bi men and trans men).

-They are resistant to plans to tackle extremism and lend support to highly controversial radical organisations like CAGE. It has been shown that several of the ISOCs (Islamic Societies) at top universities like LSE and Goldsmiths are regularly inviting extremists (and even terrorists) to talk and spread their bile to students (many of which is not only offensive to LGBT people, but could ultimately be dangerous). The NUS not only does absolutely nothing to tackle this, it promotes this as a positive expression of "free speech". This sort of behaviour which the NUS stays silent on: University Feminist And Gay Societies Stand In

2. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Re: NUS tells LGBT societies to abolish gay men’s reps because they don’t face oppres

What. #logic

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is something I'll never understand. If extremist Muslims preaching their hardline hateful ideologies is "free speech", then why isn't an "ex-Muslim" group preaching against Islam the same thing? Either it's all free speech or none of it is. You don't get to pick and choose what free speech is based on how appealing the ideology is to you.

I'm not familiar with British universities and how these "societies" work, but this NUS group does sound extremely problematic, and I believe (if I recall correctly) that they have made headlines before for their rejection and suppression of things white, cis, and secular.

#23 Libertino, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  4. guitar

Try being a gay man in Nigeria, Russia, or Saudi Arabia (for starters!) and tell me gay men don't face oppression....

5. Martin

Board Member Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I wouldn't worry too much about what the various NUS campaigns are up to. In my experience, many of them are just echo chambers occupied primarily by people who chronically overestimate their own self-importance. I ran a student society for nearly 5 years, and I actively made sure that the NUS' interference was kept to an absolute minimum, because everything they touch has this interesting habit of turning toxic and utterly dysfunctional. I witnessed a local university society trying to implement various NUS policy motions that passed at conference, and they nearly tore themselves apart trying to overcome all the ludicrous and contradictory guidance that each delegate received. Unfortunately, the sensible characters within the NUS campaigns often get shouted down by the reactionary types who live inside a narrow vacuum. This particular motion is problematic on a variety of levels, and is a bit too narrowly focused on how it tries to measure oppression on a systemic level. As a result, a well-natured discussion on how lesbians, bisexuals and trans* experience societies and representation suddenly becomes a wedged issued. I'm certainly not against pursuing diversity within institutional representation - I actively sought it myself when being part of a society - but there's a sensible and pragmatic way of going about it. You just don't get that from the NUS campaigns, because the people guiding the policy discussions rarely connect with people outside of their own value-system. They look at the world through a toilet roll, and they use grand motions and overly simplified solutions to try and overcome seriously complicated issues.

Anyway, I'm slightly bored of ranting about the NUS now, so I'll end on my personal favourite story from the NUS campaigns book of crazy policies. The NUS Women's Campaign requested that clapping be replaced with jazz hands, due to concerns that the noise made from clapping would trigger anxiety. They did nothing to actually help those with anxiety disorders actually have the confidence to sign up for the event or even assist with their travelling, accommodation etc, but when it came to clapping that's when they sprung into action. :confused:

6. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

o_o

7. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is ridiculous. People who use phrases like "those cis white male oppressors" seriously are just as bad as misogynists, homophobes and those racist against any non-white people.

8. TXTurbo90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

This is the dumbest thing that I could think of doing to try to help the LGBT community. I will mirror that almost everything that I have witnessed coming from the NUS is utter garbage. I think my turds have more intelligence than the vast majority of the leadership.

They are an extremist group of the LGBT community. Every group has one...

I will say the only people that I have been discriminated on is white cis-male gay guy's, but that doesn't mean that everyone that fits into that category should be banned. That's the thinking that ends up with large groups of people getting hurt because of the actions of a small group of dimwits that fit that description. You would think that even with the lack of intelligence with that group, they would know better than to discriminate on an already discriminated against minority group. Soooo....Much....Idiocy....

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Yes, that was it! That is what I was thinking of--the clapping issue. At first when I saw this brought up on another site, I thought it was satirizing extremist "SJW" types, but no, it was true. This at least confirms that the NUS is batshit insane and not representative of people in general who support pro-LGBT or pro-social justice causes.

10. KaySee

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

...What?

This makes no sense.

11. Lee15

This is among the dumbest things I have ever heard. I'm going to university later this year and I hope to god the LGBT society where I'm going has more sense than to participate in this bs.

Let's say for the sake of argument that cis white gay men do face slightly less oppression than other marginalised groups - guess what? Oppression is not a competition. Where is the sense in dividing us up and rating us according to who has it hardest in society? Like what is that actually supposed to achieve for anyone?

You can't make sweeping generalisations about the type and scale of oppression one community faces, everyone has different circumstances and is equally deserving of support and representation - and if you want to make those generalisations then cis white gay men still face oppression outside the LGBT community, and now they're facing it from within their own community on top of that.

I am honestly so done with my country and my generation right now. Why are you like this? :bang:

12. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people

Trigger warning: they suck

13. Ryu

Ryu

Hahahhahahahhahah! This has to be the funniest thing I've read in a while!

They do realise what they've done, right?

14. Sagume Kishin

Why does anyone take NUS seriously?
    If they're consistently this idiotic, I don't think anyone I know would take them seriously.

#34 Sagume Kishin, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016
  15. silverdeer

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

I don't get it. Are they saying white gay men are not treated as badly as others and should be kicked out of certain groups?

I just can't figure out what the article means.

#35 silverdeer, Mar 27, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2016