1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How I figured out my orientation (My Story)

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by beowoolf, Mar 22, 2016.

1. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi friends :slight_smile: Just thought I'd share this here in hopes it will help someone. I've been out for a few weeks now, and let's just say, while it's not rainbows and unicorns, life seems to have opened dozens of doors of opportunity.

Bit of background: I'm in my 20s, female, Canadian university student.

(I'll try to make this as brief but informative as possible! Sorry for the length.)

1. I remember, since I was a very young child, asking my (Roman Catholic) mother if when I grow up I'd have to marry a boy instead of a girl, and her telling me yes, you have to marry a boy, and just feeling sad and disappointed. I quickly shelved the feeling, and for the most part of childhood didn't know what being queer meant and didn't really care.

2. Around ages 9-12, when the other girls started talking about boys and crushes and how cute they were, I basically had no idea what was going on or what the hype was. And when people tried asking me who I liked, I simply made stuff up to fit in and "made" myself like certain boys to feel "normal."

3. I went to a vigorously-academic high school and was thus very focussed on my studies as a teenager. So while all the kids on TV were busy getting dates to the prom, my high school experience was quite unusual in that there was no dating culture. I didn't feel pressured to date, nor was I particularly interested.

My teenage years were good, though. I had good relations with my family, and I developed a wealth of hobbies, such as playing multiple musical instruments and learning board sports. I also started writing novels around this time. What I lost in dating experience I gained in academic/professional experience and pursuits. I learned very early on what I wanted to go to university for and become (an author).

I also finally learned and understood what homosexuality was in high school thanks to progressive teachers who made sure us students were well-rounded. I learned the concept. Understood it. Accepted it. But again, had little to no interest as I didn't think it pertained to me.

4. Enter university. I graduated from a high school of approximately 500 people to enter a university of approximately 40,000 people. Suddenly, my world seemed so much bigger. I decided I better get started on the whole dating thing. My parents met in university without dating anyone else but each other. Surely I could do the same.

5. I developed some petty crushes on various guys I met. But being shy and introverted I never showed my interest and eventually they'd hook up with another girl. I'd get sad about it, but got over things completely pretty quickly (in the matter of days, at most weeks).

6. I had little to no luck dating. I turned to apps like ****** and met guys there, but the chemistry was never right—we'd become friends at most. Around this time I started really getting into screenwriting and television and as everyone knows, LGBTQ representation in recent years has progressed immensely. I watched everything from Willow and Tara in BTVS to Piper and Alex in OITNB and remember experiencing an intensity of connection with these same-sex couples I had never experienced before watching straight couples. I'd see their storylines and think: that's what I want to feel; I get this.

7. So I started questioning. Really questioning. I looked back at my adolescence and it just made sense. The first "crushes" I had as a young girl towards older girls in older grades were exactly that—crushes! I just didn't know it was what it was when I felt stuff towards other girls. I also tended to migrate towards gay people for friendships, weirdly enough, like we were all drawn to each other... Gaydar, perhaps? Anyway, these, and other factors, made me seriously consider the fact that I might be gay after all.

I had no problem being gay. My parents, though of a religious background, are generally liberal and progressive. I live in one of the most leftist cities in Canada where intolerance is considered a heinous crime by the general populace. I'm very lucky, actually.

What I had a problem with was uncertainty. I knew I was romantically attracted to women, but to be honest I was still physically attracted to men. I likened it to an instinctual "programming" that I wanted to have sex with men and reproduce...but not enter into a loving relationship with one. That I believed I could only have with a woman.

I went through so many labels trying to figure out what the hell I was. My closest friends thought I might be asexual. I thought I might be a homoromantic heterosexual or pansexual or something like that...and the more complicated it got the more frustrated I got because at the end of the day, I just wanted to get into a relationship with someone and share my life with them. That was all I really wanted (and still want).

8. Then I went to the UK for a semester of studying abroad. It was the first time I lived alone away from my parents, and in another country to boot (I live at home to go to uni to save money). It was a time of discovery, exploration, and many firsts, but again, no luck in the dating game. Then I fell hard for a girl.

It's a long story, but the general gist of it is: I asked her out (the first time I ever asked anyone out), she said no, and the rejection hurt me way more than I expected. I was miserable for a long while. It was because I had never felt such strength of emotion for another person—it was then that I realized: this is it. This is the stuff that songs are made of! The reason poets write sonnets and painters paint portraits! This is the THING that everyone has been talking about all the damn while..and I finally found it. I finally figured it out!!!!!

9. So even though I got rejected, at the end of the day, I learned something very vital about myself and I'm glad what happened happened.

Because what I did was open myself up to the possibility and accept whatever may come, and just feel. Stop thinking and just feel for once. Nature took its course, and I finally let myself feel what nature had intended me to feel all my life. It took more than two decades, but it was worth it.

I came out to my parents shortly after. They're probably still mulling it over because it's still a new concept to them, and in our family we just don't talk about dating and sex, but they're accepting at the least and I'm giving them time. I realize that I am super lucky to live in a safe place and have supportive friends that don't give two damns about my orientation. I'm also lucky I have plenty of queer friends whom I can lean on and learn from. As for dating I'm still a little frustrated because I've never so much as held hands or kissed someone before, but at the same time I only just come out so it's actually natural I'm behind schedule!

My biggest advice, I guess, is to surround yourself with people you love who love you. This may be hard for those of us who live in places that are less accepting, but as Ellen Page says in Gaycation, there are gay people everywhere. You can't escape the gay!! I trust that you'll find a community where you are that will accept you for who you are.

And you are so much more than LGBTQ+. For me, being gay is only a small fraction of who I am. I am also a person of colour, a writer, a musician, a dog person, a Mac user, a Pisces...

You are worth so much and you are so loved, and I promise: things do get better! The world is rapidly changing. It IS your oyster! And at the end of it all, I hope you find love :slight_smile:

2. Hachi

What a lovely post to read through :slight_smile: I'm still im that figuring out stage, and I'm 20, so I appreciated this story and its relevance to me. I certainly feel scared and as if things will never get better sometimes, so i liked this.

P.S. I love Gaycation w/ Ellen Page! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Omg I love this. Thank you for writing your story so perfectly. (*hug*) I really enjoyed reading it, I literally forgot where I was. I'm so glad you've come to such a happy place with your story.

I see some paralells with myself. I've been in the 7 phase of watching lots of OITNB and such and just resonating with lesbian couples so much, and then the 8 phase recently. And I HAVE written songs about it. As you said, I have never felt so much emotion about another person - looking back I never felt this crazy sensual pull, this strange heart-ache, this desire for them to just be happy, this furious jealousy (so much raging irrational jealousy), this heart break before. I remeber my guy crushes getting girlfriends and I didn't care for more than a day, and I never felt all this intense emotion for them. Comparing my feelings for guys and girls and realising my waning interest in guys at all since stage 7 sort of ruined my view of myself being bi. I feel pretty gay now, so I changed my label on here to lesbian as a bit of an experiment. But as you said in point 7, I feel like I can be physically attracted to a man. Queer is a good term but a word I don't like much.

Anway, thanks for the story. One of the best things I've read in a while, despite being a bullet-pointed forum post. And I'm also a person of colour, a musician, and somewhat a writer. The ending was so motivational too... Good post.:eusa_clap

4. BelleLey

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Thanks for sharing ! I found myself having somethings in common with you. I'm 26 never been kissed (except when i was 9 but i hardly rememeber), never dated anyone.

5. beowoolf

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Glad you enjoyed the story! Yeah it's a feeling that, despite being indoctrinated with romantic movies and songs from an early age, we really can't understand until we get there.

For me it was both an intensity and a completeness of feeling. Like something within me had been "unlocked." Before, I'd only be physically attracted to a person, or emotionally, or intellectually, or aesthetically, but this time it was everything mushed into one. Simple. You know you've fallen for someone when it happens :slight_smile:

Yeah, I too was raging jealous and heartbreaky for a while, and it takes a while to get over, but eventually I did and realized I could feel the same sort of attraction towards other people. It might be difficult to believe at the time, but feelings like this don't just happen once in your life. We're human beings; we were made to feel.

6. wanderinggirl

Thanks for sharing your story! The more stories the better. Especially the part about getting over crushes really quickly. And the part about having physical interest in men. I feel like that negates the "authenticity" of my sexual orientation or something, which is also a romantic orientation. I don't know.

Also interesting that you had a moment where you felt "unlocked". I do feel like I had an "unlocking" moment that really changed how I felt about like, everything: I thought I had to fake ALL the things because I didn't experience emotions the same way that other people did, but then it turns out I can have crushes and even rejection feels good because at least you know you can experience that feeling and I don't have to fake anything anymore!! :slight_smile:

tl;dr: I relate to much of your story and I love your attitude! :slight_smile:

7. WhoAmIAlly

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This was fun to read :slight_smile: Honestly, I like reading stories of when people figure out what sexuality they are. I went through it and it is interesting to read how others went through similar situations as me. Thanks for posting this!

8. JasmineTea

Relating to this a lot in a lot of ways. First of all, the gravitating towards other queer people- yeah, my friends and I have noticed it too. We've wondered if it was a common thing. :')

I've stopped using labels for myself, for the most part, because I can't seem to figure things out exactly. I'm attracted to girls both sexually and romantically, but also... kind of attracted to non binary people and guys? Maybe, in some way? I just can't seem to pick out how I feel for them.

Ah, well... I'll figure it out eventually, I hope. Thanks for sharing your story! c:

9. Foxfeather

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    #8. Honey, thank you. First time I ever asked anyone out ever and she said no! Did what you did, got sad, but I've figured stuff out since. After the depressive fit, I snapped out of it. What made her so great, anyways? I can always find more people like her (and, oddly, I've seen 2 of her doppel gangers around this town--as if it's a sign that she's replaceable and I'm not), and after having my confidence crushed, i just built it back up again, and now I can say with confidence that I love myself more than I love her when it was the opposite before.

I'll find another girl, not the same one, not a doppel ganger, but better, prettier, and better suited to me.

10. seeking

I go through these cycles of questioning myself.. and then being fine with it. Been like that for past 10 years. I'm in my 20's now.

I can date a guy without any sexual contact and be totally fine. I don't get attach to them strongly.

Straight females I notice they need that sexual contact and they need more.

I don't know how to explain it...I just don't care about guys that much. In the end the guys all say the same.. they never feel like I'm trying to emotionally connect with them and be vulnerable.

When I see homosexual females on tv I become very intrigue by them and drawn by them. I need to know everything. I just have this affinity for homosexual female relationships. I'm still trying to figure it out....I think there is still a lot more I need to learn about self.

May I am truly homsexual... maybe I am actually bisexual and that just cause more confusion or maybe I'm just a confused heterosexual female.

But, just interest me I am just more drawn to women and I have a huge curiosity more like an affinity when I see a lesbian couple.

Think continued self- discovery and time will let me know who I truly am.