1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anybody play Civ 5?

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by BradThePug, Mar 19, 2016.

1. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    General note: Don't put usernames or other identifying information in this thread. Otherwise, you run the risk of being banned.

What Civilization do you play as and why do you play as that civ? Also, what kind of win do you usually go for?

I usually play as Japan or the Iroquois. I tend to go more for the war win.

2. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do! Haven't been into it lately but I do love it. I usually like Japan as well for their military bonus, but I've also dabbled in China, Rome, and Germany among others. One time I got really lucky as Russia on a randomly generated world and killed it on their resource bonus.

Oddly enough I've never played as England, my go-to faction in games like this, or the USA. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

My latest game was with modded factions and map to resemble the world of the Elder Scrolls. So it was all the Dunmer, Imperials, Daedra, etc. although somehow the Persians sneaked in there lol.

#2 Argentwing, Mar 19, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2016
  3. Ashley2103

I used to play a lot. I usually play Polynesia because I can go over oceans early. I always play against Caesar and go for a domination win. Last time I played, I slowly surrounded his capital with cities, pillaged his land a lot to make sure he can't recover, and set up a border patrol lol.

4. Nikky DoUrden

I think i play Civ games pretty bad because I dont have long-term tactic except maybe that I want to spread religion so I try to build religion buildings fast, or if I play for wonders I try to build wonders fast ..
    but ..
    AI stronger than Prince always give me a hard time, I cant seem to get a higher score than them !!
    They build military units way more than I have, advance technologies faster, and expand faster .. i'll never be conqurer in RL :frowning2:

Also I dont have a preference for any specific civ, I like many of them especially the ones with special traits like building wonders faster, or roads cost no money ^^

#4 Nikky DoUrden, Mar 20, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  5. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I usually just set everything on random and then go for whatever victory type seems the most achievable.

6. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes. Love it. My strategy is either go with Babylon or China and go for a science victory or turtle as Russia and go for domination.

7. blindstorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've recently been trying to get into it. I've played as India, Rome, Greece, and the Iroquois. I'm trying to get a feel for the game...it's been so long since I've played a strategy game, and I have to admit some of the finer things are eluding me

8. Manitoban

I never could get into Civ V, I was a huge fan of Civ IV until I found paradox games (Victoria 2, Hearts of Iron 3, Crusader Kings 2, and the best one: Europa Universalis IV)

But essentially the crux of the problem was warefare, I was very disappointed with what they did with warfare. I wasn't a fan of the chess piece style they created in place of standing armies. Not to say doom stacks were a good thing but I think they could've been more creative in finding ways to limit army sizes, introducing ideas such as supply lines, attrition and organization. (Lots of people in one spot will be more ineffective)

But at the end of the day I would like to make the choice as a technologically backwards but super populated nation to endless send millions to their deaths for the nation or to be a super tech orientated nation with a small but competent army playing the more chess piece war, that should be the player's choice.

Rant over...

Personally on Civ IV my favourite was the Netherlands and I went for a more economic route and trying to be peaceful.