1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'Caitlyn Jenner is bad for the LGBT community'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Mar 18, 2016.

1. I'm_Danni_x

If you have heard this statement before, do you agree or disagree with it?

2. JiminyJordy

JiminyJordy Guest

Disagree.

The public scorn she is receiving is bad for the LGBT community. Her story is not.

3. Cedar

I think she has the potential to do a lot of good for the LGBT community... Compared to whatever it is she's doing now.

4. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel she has the potential to be good...But she is lives in her own fantasy world. She is privileged with money and has no idea what it is like for regular trans women. Her personal views about marriage are also not in line with LGBT.

So she has a lot of potential to do good because of how visible she is, but instead she is doing a lot of bad.

5. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Caitlyn Jenner can live her damn life but I have no respect for her as a person.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2016 at 12:48 AM ----------

or rather as a public figure.

6. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think she's bad for the community since she was able to raise awareness that trans people actually do exist. But some of the things that she says are problematic, like her views of gay marriage and politics.

7. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Caitlyn Jenner is a racist republican. Obviously, this person shouldn't be the poster girl for trans women. Plus, she's really old, and there should be a younger, more attractive representative

8. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think she is good for the "T" part of LGBT. Not sure she is doing anything for the "LGB" part being a republican who iirc is against gay marriage? I think her publicity as a trans woman helps bring it into the public discussion which, whether bad opinions or not, will help trans rights in the long run. However, I do think she's a terrible person and she has the platform to do so much more, but she does not. I think she only cares for herself.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I think she did something brave, doing what she did... but even so, I would much rather that ordinary working class and middle class trans people get air time than her - the image she projects is one where transition just means you've got to grit your teeth and make a little transfer from your fat bank account and then you'll look a lot like what you want. This does not reflect the true struggles of the transgender community.

---------- Post added 19th Mar 2016 at 11:36 AM ----------

I don't agree with this at all. Age or attractiveness shouldn't matter. What should matter in a trans representative is honesty, not the superficial.

10. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Personally, I think that she is good for the LGBT community. She shows that not all of us have the same political beliefs. She also shows that transgender people have all sorts of different histories.

Everybody expects her to suddenly be democratic because she is a member of this community. I think that is where some of the backlash against her is coming from.

11. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think she's become toxic for the community. All people that were previously ignorant and uneducated about trans people now base all their knowledge on her and it's completely innacurate. You don't go into hibernation for a couple months and come out looking like the opposite sex, that's not how transition works. She knows so little about the average trans person and she lives in her own little bubble where everything works in her favour. I also don't think that it's helping that she's related to the Kardashians, they already have a name that's been hammered into the ground and now the notion of 'transgender' is attatched to them people are going to be looking their way more.

Yeah I'm not a fan of her at all. This link pretty much sums up how I feel.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard of it but I disagree. I think she's best though for the T because even after she transitioned she still didn't support gay marriage I mean she does now but no I don't think she's bad for the lgbt community.

13. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

She seems to be the weird one of the LGBT community. She's trans, helped raise awareness for trans people, married to a woman,

and is against gay marriage.

Logic.

14. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I like that link, it sums up how I feel beautifully.

It irks me that so many people think we hold Jenner to be our queen. I've actually seen comments on articles about her where people said all T people think her their queen. And no T person to comment after that was happy. That she is making people aware that transgender is a very real thing is great, but the world she lives is not the same as what mist trans people live in. People are getting a skewed version of what a trans women life is like. And I know every one experiences being transgender different, and everyone is entitled to vote for whomever they want, but she just seems so out of touch with the troubles others face.

If we want people to understand better what it means to be trans then we should be trying to out more trans people's stories on TV. YouTube is a beautiful place to find people but unless you're looking for them you won't find them.

15. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Caitlyn is on the road to giving us a worse rep than we already have.

16. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I was about to say something similar. It's better for people to be aware that not all trans people fit into one box. My only worry would be that in the future, the only ones represented are those friendly towards "the establishment".

17. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, I don't think she represents us. She doesn't understand how it feels to have any less privilege than a celebrity of her status, she's out of touch and makes mistake after mistake that makes me think she isn't our trans role model. Yes, she's brought us representation, but I think she works better as a symbol than a person.

Also, since she supports Ted Cruz, I guess she can have fun going to the men's bathroom from now on.

18. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I agree. Not all trans people in the public light are immediately going to be some kind of liberal hero. What Caitlyn Jenner shows is that trans people are people, just like any other demographic. Some are rich, some are poor, some are famous, some are liberal, some are conservative...she's not queen of trans people and therefore does not have a duty to "represent" them. Of course, non-trans people need to realize that too.

19. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think the trans community deserves a better representation then Caitlyn Jenner. She did do a pretty good job about bringing awareness about transgenders in general and how they are living in our "society"(I'm using this word loosely) and how this is a real thing. I don't mind that she does have a different opinion in politics though I don't think it helps the progression that trans community needs. I think with her bring wealthy, she doesn't really understand what it's like to struggle in the middle/lower class as a transgender nor she recognizes it (This is only in my opinion). I feel that she's in a pretty good position to have other trans people to tell their story but instead makes it more about herself. Laverne Cox does a better job.

20. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    She is completely deluded in thinking that she can change the mind of Ted Cruz from wanting to do anything other than destroy the LGBT community, and she's connected to the disgusting pile of idiocy known as the Kardashians. I'm glad trans issues are being brought to awareness instead of just fearmongering, but Caitlyn Jenner is a terrible spokesperson for transpeople.