1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Give an appropriate answer to a common prejudiced statement.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by PrsngHppnss8D, Mar 17, 2016.

1. PrsngHppnss8D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I had this idea: What kind of prejudiced/unfair opinion you hear/heard about the LGBTQ community and how would you appropriately reply? (You can give us an example based on your real experiences, social media, newspaper, friends discussion, etc).

For example:

Prejudiced statement: "LGBTQ people just want privileges"
    Appropriate answer: "We are trying to have the SAME rights straight people already have."

Rules:

01. To avoid any kind of mess, we strongly recommend to simply ignore any religious examples of prejudice and arguments, in order to respect everyone's beliefs.

02. Please read the EC's Code of Conduct.

03. Do not use offensive or curse words.

Recommendations:

01. Focus on good ideas, once that's the main reason of this thread. This may help LGBTQ people who lacks of arguments to feel more confident against the prejudice in a real life discussion.

02. Stay cool :slight_smile:

#1 PrsngHppnss8D, Mar 17, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2016
  2. Dingdang

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Prejudiced Statement: "LGBTQ people choose to be who they are because they are influenced by media and desire attention."
    Appropriate Answer: "Could I say the following about you? 'Straight, cisgender people choose to be straight and cisgender because they are influenced by media and desire to fit in.' No, I can't, and neither can you, as we do not choose our sexuality and gender."

If someone ever asks you why you chose to be gay, ask that person, "Why and when did you choose to be straight?"

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Prejudiced statement: People shouldn't take "behavior-altering" drugs. They aren't "good for you."
    Appropriate statement: These drugs attack chemicals in the brain and are a great help to many with mental illness. This is an unfair and untrue statement that only an ignoramus would make. Obviously you don't have depression, anxiety, etc. and make an assumption based on no experience.

4. Prejudiced statement: bisexuals can't be monogamous. How can they be satisfied with one gender? A man doesn't have a p@ssy, so the woman is going to get it somewhere else (yes, someone actually told me that!)

Appropriate answer: Bisexuals can be monogamous, because the person they're with fulfills all of their needs. It's not about someone's gender or genitalia.

5. PrsngHppnss8D

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    "Son/doughter of mine won't be gay"
    - He/she could suicide before you even know his/her struggles.

6. Mr Spock

"So many people are becoming transgender now that it's popular."

"Not everyone had a label to express their feelings before transgenders were more openly in the media. Maybe if society was more accepting a lot of the transgender community would have come out years ago.

7. Vav

Vav Guest

"Lesbians have it easier because they're sexy to straight guys."

"Lesbians are objectified by straight men. That gives the false appearance of acceptance a lot of the time."

8. lemons123

My father who passed away many years ago of cancer used to think that meat is necessary to be eaten as this is how the cavemen have survived - or this was his response to vegans.

To which my response today will be: We're no longer cavemen :slight_smile:.

9. blindstorm

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "You're just saying you're transgender for attention."

Why would I willingly pick something like being transgender to get attention? There are many other ways to make myself noticed that don't involve bullying, a high risk of being murdered, or just the uncomfortable questions/looks/alienation that comes with being trans.