1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word 'females'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Justinian20

I remember I would jokingly insult women by calling them "Woman," I see female as a more respectful term in that case though. But I do still call women, women and girls, I just think female and male are actually words I use a lot.

2. the haunted

The way it's used in some rap songs makes my skin crawl. I think that's what you're taking about, right? Sounds very impersonal.

3. crazydiamond

It depends more on how the person says it. I often hear it come out as derogatory. Like "Stupid needy females". Besides, no one calls men "males" on the dating scene. They both sound weird, honestly.

4. AlamoCity

Better than "bitches" and "hoes." :lol:

5. BasketCase

Are people searching for things to be offended by now?

As a male, if someone refers to me as a male, it is not a problem. I tend to fall in with what the PC stuff is though so once a decision is made can someone send me a memo so I know what to do?

6. EnchanterForest

I agree,

7. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really feel any particular way about using female instead of woman, but I'll admit that when I hear someone use the word it makes me a little more on alert that they might be a douche-wagon, just because it's one of those words that not all people who use it are misogynists, but it's something a certain breed of misogynist tends to do.

It's in the same category as people who use the word "bro" or say "yolo", etc. I don't automatically dislike everyone who uses it, but it's a red flag that this might be a person I want to avoid.

8. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    However, our culture's consensus is that girls are merely young women, or will become women. "Women" thus can include girls, considering them a subtype of woman. And besides, some trans people consider themselves female of sex but not female in gender. In other words, some trans people consider themselves female, but not women, so "female" and "woman" aren't true synonyms.

I disagree with our culture's consensus that girls all grow up into women, considering that some trans people truly feel they were girls, and became men or non-binary as they grew up.

However, I still strongly recommend saying "women" instead of "females". It is more respectful, and less cold and clinical sounding. Also, whichever way you say it, some trans people are left out and have their identities erased. I don't know if there's currently a way around this. Reminding people about trans people and their many different experiences with (and without) gender can make up for this somewhat.

9. Hizaki

(This is without having read the other comments)

I don't like how we use "females" and "males" so much. I mean, I get why we do, but it's tough when I'm forced to talk about our "male-dominated society" in English class (for example), and I see that they've used "male", and its hard not to say anything. I wouldn't have noticed it three years ago, mind you, but I was LGBT unknowledgable.

Oh and its quite clear to me how a penis does not a ruler make. Transgender women who haven't transitioned (or have, still) are nowhere to be found, unsurprisingly, so really "male-dominated" should be "man-dominated", but that doesn't sound right according to... [who?]

For the record, I don't even like that this site uses "Male" and "Female". Damn it, EC, you even labelled it "Gender"!

#29 Hizaki, Mar 18, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  10. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I hate it. It feels sort of dehumanizing.