1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The word 'females'

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ForNarnia, Mar 15, 2016.

1. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Saw something the other day that made me think. Someone was feeling irritated because someone referred to women as females.

What's your opinion on people who use the word 'females' instead of 'women', or 'males' instead of 'men'?

Personally, it does slightly irritate me, because it sounds too clinical, but it doesn't really bother me that much. Like, I'd prefer if people just used 'women', but I don't really care either way.

I didn't even realise this was a thing until the other day :slight_smile:

2. Distant Echo

We are females? Not every female is a woman. Some females are girls. Female is more inclusive.

3. Irisviel

Wouldn't it be simply depending on the context? If I were to discuss something related to biology, female/male is a word I'd certainly use. Like, I could say to someone when explaining transgender issues that I have a male body, or whatever. Or I could say that currently with my closeted status I am viewed as male. Then again, adjective sounds far better.

I think the main problem with those words used as nouns is that they are most commonly associated with animals. Kind of similar to refer to a woman as a "bitch" - word that means a female dog, hence automatically offensive when used for people. "A female" is far less harsh but similar in nature.

Adjectives are fine I believe, and definitely using nouns in a good mannered joke wouldn't make me frown either. Also, context might allow for a safe use anyway... it's all just common sense.

#3 Irisviel, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  4. FalconBlueSky00

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It was just the tone it was used in. I've heard men grumble about "women". It's not the word its self but how it was used. Yeah deifinatly irritating.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't really think anything of it. I know some people get upset over it because it sounds biological, but I think that's kind of silly. It's just a word like "woman" or "girl".

6. Irisviel

"This actress is a gorgeous female" kinda sounds like you spoke of a specimen, not a person, though.

And yet... apart from such uses that depersonalise, it is just a word. Like so many things in language, context is key.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In a language like French, female/male are NEVER used on people. They are used to refer to animals in scientific contexts. This is something I find amusing in English, because they are not exclusively used in such contexts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Nah, I don't think it's offensive, unless it is specifically used to be. For example, I refer to myself as a trans male. In English, it sounds fine while in French, it would sound very weird x)

#7 RainbowGreen, Mar 15, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  8. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    "Female" and "male" refer to biological sex while "man" and "woman" refer to gender, which do not necessary correspond to biological sex--that's correct, right? I'll admit I'm a bit new to some LGBT semantics.

Personally I have no problem being referred to as "male". I agree that it does seem a bit more "scientific" (hence it being used to refer to biological sex, i.e. chromosomal make-up), but it doesn't bother me.

9. Ryu

Ryu

I use them interchangeably to make sure I don't use the same the same word over and over again and it begins to lose all meaning.

10. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's not supposed to be offensive. I don't know why people make a big deal about it.

11. AlamoCity

I sometimes use "male" and "female" in a biological sense since you can't presume gender (i.e. man/woman). It sounds clinical, but it also gets the job done. For example, if I want to ask a question about those who possess a penis and how they prefer to pee (i.e. sit or stand) I might ask: in what position do males prefer to pee?

But I will also use male/female as synonymous with man/woman.

12. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's whatever to me. It just seemed a bit strange when I realized that in English it's common to use the terms male & female when referring to people, because it's honestly not usual to do that in my native language. But it doesn't bother me.

13. WyldStyle

I honestly don't like the terms males and females. It makes me feel like I'm being defined by genitals, and it feels somewhat demeaning.

14. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It doesn't bother me, but I agree, female is more biologically specific whereas "woman" or "girl" is more of a gender identification, in my opinion.
    I've always identified as a female and a woman though, so others who have not might see things differently.

15. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As ballistic as I generally get over language, this is one I really don't give two rips about.

If you've ever found me annoying on language issues, then let the message of this fact sink in.

16. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I prefer female/male as it sounds more clinical. But that's just my opinion.

17. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it depends on what context it's used in.... the words male or female can be used in a very negative manner and that may be the root of the feelings.

18. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This sums up my feelings on it. Calling someone a female is objectifying, dehumanizing, condescending, and misogynistic. Describing someone as female, however, is a respectful descriptor.

Using "female" as a noun has very unfortunate connotations if the referent is a person, but used as an adjective it doesn't have these connotations. The obvious alternatives to "female" as a noun are "woman" and "girl", depending on the age of the referent.

19. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the context. It's a little scientific for casual conversation.

20. Jellal

It either sounds clinical or like a joke, to call people "males" and "females." Not annoying, though.