1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it true that all females get bitchy at "that time of the month?"

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Driftr

Sorry if I offended any girls here, but I was wondering if there any truth to the stereotype that females get bitchy at that time of the month.

Is it true for you? And if it is, is it something that you can control to a certain extent? Or do you find yourself having very little or no control over bitchiness or mood-swings at that time?

Again, I apologize if this seems offensive, but as a guy, I'm just curious about how it feels from a female's perspective about this.

2. AlamoCity

I'm not a girl but my sister becomes irritable, her mood changes by the minute, and is generally in a less-than-agreeable mood.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd say it depends on the person (female or just someone with those hormones). Hormones can cause mood swings, and it affects some people more severely than others. Also it may have to do with age. If you're talking about an adsolescent then it may be worse because hormones are raging and they haven't learned to cope with them yet.

I was never affected much in terms of being snappy or overemotional, though I have a generally subdued emotional capacity anyway - the majority of which is internalized. So I can't speak for generalities, only what little I've observed.

4. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, not all. It's just a stereotype. My sister sometimes gets extra happy.

The thing that might make people more irritable is pain. Very often menstruation comes with pain. Imagine it. You are in pain and bleeding. It's not the nicest thing. People get irritated and angry in traffic jams, because the weather is bad and so on. Of course some feel bad if they are in pain and bleeding and because it won't stop very soon. As adults we are supposed to control ourselves though and not make everyone else feel bad too.

5. blueshadedsoul

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nah, I think it depends on the person.
    I've noticed a few times that I get particularly depressed and with the tendency to cry a lot during the week previous to getting my period. It doesn't always happen though, I not sure if it's related. Actually during my period I don't notice any behaviour changes, I just get a lot of cramps, and feeling physically uncomfortable causes me to feel bad in general. About mood swings or becoming easily irritable, I don't think I experience that more intensely than at any other time of the month.

6. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I get all depressive. I get really quiet, I frown all the time, and all I want to eat is fruit. If I can eat at all because sometimes I just throw up the slightest bit of anything that touches my stomach. Though sometimes its pretty chill and I feel fine. I'm always really sleepy though. I could sleep from like 5 in the afternoon till 8 in the morning sometimes.

7. Driftr

Aww. I feel so bad for you ladies. I hope the pain (menstruation) isn't all too bad. By the way, I've never actually asked any females this, but if anyone wants to answer, it'd be really nice. Is the menstruation pain like at the same level and at the same time every month? Or can it vary in level and time of month?

8. I get very anxious and moody.

9. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Pain is generally in the same range for me but it can vary some. And for some girls it varies a lot month to month. One of my friends had such bad inconsistency that she went on birth control to regulate it. She had her period for 18 days straight, with cramping all the way through it.

Luckily most of us don't get it quite that bad! These days I usually try to catch it before the cramping starts by taking an ibuprofen. Once the pain gets bad, ibuprofen doesn't do a thing. But yeah, I try to catch it cause if I let it proceed without taking anything, I'm in bed the entire day, and I have stuff that I have to get done haha.

As far as getting bitchy goes? It really does depend on the girl. For me, I'll get these days where I just feel totally anxious, depressed, and kind of angry. I'll feel frustration with the point I'm at in my life. I'll start to wonder, hey, why am I feeling this way? And then I realize I probably only have a few days left before my time of the month. And I do. It's pretty consistent this way.

10. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Some girls definitely use menstruation as an excuse for being bitchy though.

11. Vav

Vav Guest

Sometimes I might get a bit irritable, but I'm not sure if it's period related. I'm usually pretty irritable because of a chronic illness. I've learnt to control the bitchiness by being quiet, listening to music and avoiding people. During PMS I do get some mild cramps. I kind of like that because it gives me a warning and they don't hurt too much.

Fun fact about PMS: PMS symptoms are caused by a lack of hormones. It's inaccurate to call a woman hormonal when she's in PMS.

#11 Vav, Mar 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2016
  12. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom and sisters get irritated when they're on their period.

13. katey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't get moody as such, sometimes I can be snappy if I have really bad cramps. Lots of girls use their period as an excuse to be bitchy, which I don't agree with at all. Also Driftr, in response to your second question i guess it differs for each woman but for me the cramps are always super bad on the first day, and then they're not as bad and conpletely gone by the third day, so yeah it is pretty much the same every month :slight_smile:

14. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Haha, thanks for the sympathy, dude.

I read somewhere that the pain can be as a heart attack, so yeah it can get pretty bad. It can be pretty much nothing too though. It depends on the person not only genetically but healthwise at that time... also being a bit active can get the blood flowing with less pain... but only if your not already crippled by it.

I think the time of month varies a little, but if you don't have any health problems it should be pretty regular. Due to health problems, injuries or taking the contraceptive pill the timing can be messed up hugely. The pill actually stops your periods I think so some people with awful periods take that a lot.

For me at least the level of pain varies huuugely. It can be anything from I barely notice it happening, to a really annoying ache, to proper unignorable pain, to a pain that not only feels like a kife to my abdomen but spreads throughout my body and squeezes my stomach so that I will constantly throw up the nothing thats in there because I feel so ill I can't eat, to ocassional bits of shooting heart-attack pain. Its really pot luck what level of pain I get each month, and it lasts just under a week so so the type of pain can change during that time as well. Its unpredicatable.

The main thing I hate about it is that I loose all drive and energy. I never really get anything done unless I pop a load of pills.

15. Aerin

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Agreed, it's never okay to use menstruation as a "pass" for acting like a jerk.

16. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not female but as a guy who has periods......

I get bitchy a week before and by that I mean everything seems to get on my nerves and my temper is shorter.
    But during that week of blood and war I'm actually in a really great mood; unless cramping then I just want people to leave me alone so that I can walk it off till it passes. I also tend to grow super fatigued and want to sleep most the day away, and I get snappish when woken up, no matter what time of the month it is.

---------- Post added 12th Mar 2016 at 02:40 PM ----------

No, the pain levels can differs.
    I have periods where it doesn't hurt at all. But maybe next month or two months from then I can have pain that has me doubling over in pain.
    When I was younger I use to skip school because the pain would be bad enough that I felt I couldn't move. The doctors often offer birth control for that level of pain, but the thought of taken birth control actually makes me feel more dysphoric than anything else.

(Know I said it before but please remember that not all who have a period are female. I think it important that trans men and non-binary identities can talk about periods as well. Its a natural thing we go through and we shouldn't be ashamed of it)

17. Determination

As an afab individual I can say that when i started menstruating, I had excruciating bouts of pain and, yes, mood changes. But as i got older, I got used to the monthly process and my body followed suit, to the point where I now don't get as irritable as I do hungry XD

I would say it depends on the person and their age.

18. Lipstick Leuger

We don't call it Shark Week for nothin'.......

19. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a gay guy but I know some females and I can tell you all women gets in mood swings Espicially when around there period I think it's some kind of hormone or something haha

20. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think the idea that all women are some kind of raging bitches when they are PMSing is a stereotype and an exaggeration. Some women may be like that, though I can't say I've ever encountered any, but I don't think it's the norm.

The main thing I notice is I'm a lot more likely to be sad out of proportion to whatever it is that I'm reacting to. Crying during sappy commercials would be a classic example of this for me. Even though I'm aware of it, I can't really do anything about it. It's kind of annoying.

I probably am a bit more irritable. Periods generally mean pain, that usually varies from mild to moderate discomfort for me, but at times has been severe enough that it was hard to focus on anything else.

It also comes with bloating and bowel changes and all sorts of fun stuff like breast pain and generally everything that hurts on a normal basis (when you hit middle age you'll understand what I mean) hurting more and when you roll that all together, it's not exactly fun times. So, yeah, I'm generally not in the best of moods. However, I'm not running around snapping people's heads off or anything.