1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of people "reclaiming" words?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Driftr, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Driftr

I honestly am black and I like listening to some hip-hop and I hear the word "nigga" almost half the time. But to be honest, it doesn't bother me no more. The whole original meaning behind it doesn't really sting for me anymore. The same with the word fag*** too.

Do you think that is a good or a bad thing? Am I in the wrong?

2. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmmm.

Depends on the word. Some terms are inherently disgusting (at least to me) and I don't understand or condone "reclaiming" them. Honestly, there are so many better words to use which would more appropriately describe what one is trying to say.

I really have a distaste for most of the... modern, harsh slang... which gets thrown around thoughtlessly these days. But perhaps that is just me.

As for if it is "wrong," that depends on how a given word is used. If you used a racist word such as "nigga/nigger" in a demeaning way, then I would say it is wrong - just as wrong as using sexist language like "b*tch" or homophobic language like "f*ggot." It just isn't civil, if you ask me. If someone wants to talk like that I won't stop them, but I won't respect them either. My two cents, at least.

3. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    As a white man I have no right to tell anyone of other race how to refer to themselves.

I don't use slang on occasion, but quite rarely slang that has to do with race, gender or sexual preference.

On the other hand, if you are acting like a bitch, don't expect me to call you not very well behaved young lady. A bitch is a bitch.

I think it's ok to 'reclaim' words, I see nothing wrong if the affected group wants to reclaim then, fine, my first sentence was about black men, but it applies to any other group.

#3 Michael, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016
  4. AlamoCity

People can reclaim words, but I feel they'll always have a stigma attached and until society divorces the harsh meaning it originally had with its newfound one, it's distasteful to use such words in polite company.

-----

I don't usually use "offensive language," but I do notice that in private remarks I make a distinction between males and females who are obnoxious. I think for many in society the rule of thumb is: obnoxious with a penis, asshole; obnoxious with a vagina, bitch. It just seems wrong and uncouth to call a female an asshole, though it seems some do prefer it, probably in an effort to dissociate themselves from what they feel is a gendered word that the "patriarchy" gives women. Some might believe women are naturally prone to certain behavior based on estrogen and their female endoctrine/reproductive system (some men claim women are especially "bitchy" during that time of the month) as much as men are a product of their testes (e.g. rage, anger).

Now, I'll never use "bitch" to a woman's face because all women are to be treated with as much civility and dignity as possible, but I may use it to describe a woman who was acting "like a bitch" to another person. But, if women want to claim that word, it's their prerogative.

5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really care one way or another. It's not a man's place to tell women what words to use among themselves, nor is it a white person's to tell a non-white person. This goes for straight people, cis people, and other privileged groups as well.

6. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Reclaiming words or, as in the case of nigger, taking them over is a wonderful means of removing the stigma attached, of removing the power these words have. Once they are in common use as an ordinary word they lose their power to hurt or offend.

That said, there will always be those who use certain words as an insult, to hurt or damage regardless of whether a word is reclaimed, and there will always be those who are offended. There will probably never be a time when a politician or newscaster doesn't have to apologize for using a perfectly normal word which someone, somewhere, finds offensive.

7. CuriousArticles

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think reclaiming words can remove the original meaning, but there is a tendency for people to be a bit 2 faced with it. By which I mean, you reclaim a word, ie black people reclaiming "nigga" but if someone not black used it, quite often would be offended, even if using it in exactly the same way. So it's a bit hit and miss, depending on who you talk to. Plus, you know, not everyone witm...the claim on the word? will want it...associations and stuff.

Not saying that's everyone, just that losing the feeling behind a word is not that easy. Particularly as different areas use words in different ways so the "reclaiming" happens differently.

Language is weird.

8. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think reclaimed words can be a good thing.
    For example, queer has been reclaimed to the point that many, including myself, use it as a label. I like the idea of taking the power away from the word.
    Faggot feels nearly irredeemable, though, a sentiment probably exemplified by the fact that I'm one of the few who didn't star it out or anything like that.

As for race related words like the n word, I as a white person have no right to tell black people what words they can and can't use. Sure, there are still some white people that are going to cry hypocrisy at who's allowed to use the n word, but I don't think that's fair at all.

There's also bound to be straight cis people confused by some of our community using faggot the way the n word is used. But I think the communities most affected by the word are the ones to decide on reclaiming them or not. Even if I personally hate the f word, I respect that some people still do want to reclaim it. And there's always going to be debate, but ultimately, if you aren't of the race or sexuality the word is used towards, you have no right to decide whether it should be reclaimed or not.

9. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion it depends on the way it's phrased like if someone says "your. A fagott" that is very hurtful There's always going to be Stigma associated with that word Same goes for nigga I don't think it's nice because it's disrespecting people that share a different colour than me I choose to refrain from those words and use other words like homosexual or gay and for the nigga part Call them bro Or man or something like that haha

10. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is a very unpopular opinion, and I'll probably get a lot of hate for it, but whatever. I think even though at first it would be great to have the group that the word was used against (or the person) reclaiming it, however after a while, if you want to destigmatize the word, you have to let other people say it (not in a mean or crass way maybe, like the word f****t, because that would be counterproductive) or else that's not really "reclaiming", that's just "I can say this word, and you can't". You can't undo a word being taboo by making it taboo in another sense.

11. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This whole thread reminds me of that scene in the film G.B.F where the two main characters (both the characters are gay) have a fight and the first main character calls the other a faggot. The second main character's mum looks shocked to which the first main character responds with "it's ok,I can use that word seeing as I am one-like your son"

Certainly makes you think anyway. I agree that the word Queer has mainly been reclaimed, and personally I don't really see it as offending to me, but I wouldn't use it to identify myself either. I'd only ever use that word if the person in question was ok with it and identified that way.

I'll admit, I use the word bitch quite often. But not just to females though, I call everyone a bitch. Mainly just in a jokey sort of way, but sometimes I'll use it as insult if they piss me off- and that goes for anyone.

I think insults will forever be in our language. Take the word "lame" for example. It used to be used as a derogatory term towards people with disabilities, particularly physical ones/ those with injuries. These days it's just come to me "uncool" or "boring", and can often be heard being used in children's shows casually because most people aren't bothered by that word. I have to wonder if such words being discussed will have a similar fate someday.

Considering I'm white, I can't really say what the OP is free to do and not do regarding that word.

There are of course cultural differences you have to consider, like I've seen videos of American YouTubers going on about claiming the word "Fag", but over here a "fag" is a cigarette. So yeah... faggot however, is quite different. But it can also mean a type of pudding or even a dish that is usually prepared over an open fire. And the word dyke has plenty of multiple meanings too, but I have seen that one being reclaimed in some circles.

12. Joelouis

Indeed it is. I've read that if a modern day English speaker went back 500 years, he'd have a bloody hard time understanding the "english" of the time.

Even 60 years ago, exclaiming that you had "come over all queer" would just mean you felt a little unwell, whereas nowadays it'd be met with a "backs against the wall" mentality.

A faggot was - and still is a traditional dish in the UK, especially South and Mid Wales and the Midlands of England. It is made from meat off-cuts and offal, especially pork. A faggot is traditionally made from pig's heart, liver and fatty belly meat or bacon minced together, with herbs added for flavouring and sometimes bread crumbs.

If you want to call me a faggot then don't be confused if I return the cat-call by branding you a Quiche Lorraine.

13. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends how it's used and who's using it. If a gay friend called me a "silly poof" I'd probably take it in a good natured way and might even retort in kind, but I would be majorly pissed off if some homphobic moron said it to me. I think there is a limit to how much you can reclaim words.

14. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol:

15. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is essentially how I feel. How "reclaimed" is a word if it only has one acceptable use now, and that usage is highly particularly and exclusive to a particular demographic?

For example, I'm Hispanic and I've playfully called myself a "spic" before, but if someone called me that in malice I would be quite offended. So it's not really "reclaimed"--it's still offensive in certain contexts. But then again, almost anything can be offensive if used in a malicious context. Nothing wrong with referring to me as "Mexican", but if someone says "you Mexican" in an angry tone, then now even "Mexican" can be an offensive word. So it's really a lot more about intent and motive behind using the word than the word itself.

16. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't really care what people want to call themselves. I think using "but we're reclaiming the word!" as an excuse to call someone else something they find to be offensive is insensitive and a cop out. I also don't buy that it does anything to remove the stigma from a word.

No matter how much the "queer" community thinks they have reclaimed the word, it's still gonna be a slur to people who have always used it as such. Same with "nigga", "bitch," "faggot," "dyke" etc.

17. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Words change and adapt their meanings all the time, like "awesome" and "epic" used to have different meanings to how they are usually used now. I also think that it is the intention behind a word that makes it good or bad, not the collection of sounds itself. So if people are okay with a word, a word can be used.

18. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I don't care much for reclaiming words. I actually like them for what they are. The more colorful slurs at my disposal, the merrier.

19. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It depends really. If people 'reclaiming' the word are misrepresenting it, then that's not cool, otherwise, I don't care. (Eg: I've known queer people who use the word 'queer' as an insult to others :/ Not cool)

20. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't feel like rappers have reclaimed "nigga." It feels to me like they have accepted it and submitted to it rather than have rejected that dehumanizing name. It seems to me to have done much more harm than good to treatment of black people, because it continues to separate them rather than help integration. The sooner we collectively agree to quit saying the N-word, black and all other skin colors together, the better off we'll be.

Regarding "queer", it's not as bad imo. It's a descriptor rather than an identifier. It's not a person's whole being. And it happens to be really effective at describing any orientation other than straight, so I'm okay with calling myself that and with other non-straight people using it. And opposite, its power as an insult is negligible. How does thinking your own gender is sexy equate to something bad?

#20 Argentwing, Mar 11, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2016