1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What do you think of the term "I'm entitled to my opinion!" ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Fullofsurprises, Mar 10, 2016.

1. Joelouis

Opinions are just an expression of a certain viewpoint.

I will accept that others opinions may differ to my own, but I may argue back if they persist with trying to ram their views down my throat. I'll take an opinion, but not if it's repetitive. So long as they accept that I also have opinions.

2. Amen

3. alonsy alonso

I think sure you're entilted to your own opinion just as long as that opinion does not degrade other people, races or their opinions because then it is not an opinion it is just hatred.

4. Distant Echo

Yes, they are entitled to their opinion. You are entitled to not want to hear it. Or agree with it. Or give a crap about it.

5. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've a lot of thought and feels. It annoys the shit out of me. This will be a long rant, skip the parts where I yell, if you wish. The rant begins in 3...2...1... and GO!

I hear this phase a lot (I watch controversial videos on YouTube) and it annoys the shit out of me! That seems to be people's favourite word to avoid criticism, it's like people think after you say that, you're untouchable, like I can't tell you why I disagree because "you have the right to your opinion". That's such a fucking cop out. Like seriously, if you can't defend your argument with anymore than essentially, stop bothering me, then it must be a pretty weak argument. The point of stating your opinion in a video is to have a discussion, right? Then what the hell is the point of saying something, if when someone who responds disagrees with you, for you to shut down the conversation?

Why are people so insecure that they think when I say that I disagree with them that i am taking away their right to have an opinion? When did me saying that I think your wrong suddenly take away your voice to say anything, or your right to express what they feel? That doesn't make sense.

This is especially bad if they just criticized someone's perspective and when the other person responds only tell them "well I have the right to my opinion". Like, you just made a comment about what they said (which by the way, I think dialogue about issues is a good thing), so isn't that a little hypocritical? And what makes your opinion so much better than somebody elses' that they can't respond to you? You made a comment on what they said and you are getting made that they are commenting back? That doesn't make sense to me!

Okay, my little rant is over.

6. This resonates with how I feel too. Just because I disagree doesn't mean that I'm taking away your right to my opinion. I am just stating and noticing loopholes in your uninformed opinion.

I luckily do have friends where we can disagree respectfully. I think it's all about tone and respect. People have disagreed with me in this thread, and I don't mind. Nobody is trying to force their view onto me or lashing out at me. That's the difference.

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Well, wikipedia's here to save the day!

8. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, I've noticed that people are allowed to voice their opinion on something--but if yours is different in any way, it's invalid and doesn't matter.

By that, I don't mean really bigoted and hateful crap, that's not cool. I mostly mean about having a general opinion on something like not caring for a certain artist or trying to voice your opinion on something in the general field you're in (ex: trans people discussing their thoughts on medical things within the community).

I always see people, mostly radical activists, tell people their opinions on things don't matter and to shut up. That's kind of upsetting in a way. I think I saw one person make a Facebook post saying something along the lines of who gives a shit what a sportscaster thinks about the presidency, and that he should stick to talking about sports where his opinion has merit. To me, that would be like Bobby Flay telling a tattoo artist that nobody gives a shit what they thinks about banana nut muffins or GMOs and for the same reason. It's pretty fucking rude if you ask me.

#28 Daydreamer1, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

9. Yes! The most opinionated people are the ones that don't want to hear other people's opinions. This is why I don't get along with bossy, aggressive and preachy personalities. They are too pushy and remind me of past abusers. I would rather hang out with people that don't remind me of my perpetrators.

10. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Someone saying "you're entitled to your opinion" is like saying, "I get what you're saying and I'm okay with that even if I don't necessarily agree to it". But then there are times when I feel people use it as a cop out.

11. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I honestly thing everyone is entitled to their own opinion nobody in this world is going to agree on everything everyone got the right to think what they want as long as it's in a respectful manner

12. Justinian20

I don't hate it at all. It's okay to use because everyone has differing opinions of something, but it is a cop out if you use it in an argument, you should instead say I see your point but I don't necessarily agree.

13. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, no matter what it is. No one is entitled to discriminate against or terrorize other people because of such an opinion. Basic human compassion is not a matter of opinion.

14. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When people have different points of view, friction often ensues because one party is working to convince the other that they are right. With this expression, it can convey "let's agree to disagree." If I've used it, that's what I've meant by it ... as well as to back off.

15. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Opinions are just that: opinions. They are irrelevant in regard to fact. The use of the phrase "I'm entitled to my opinion" is oftener-than-not simply annoying. It proves nothing, adds nothing, means nothing. It just echoes that the "I" is "entitled" about a nonfactual, subjective piece of priss.

16. PrivateUser

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    The thing with stating your opinion in a video is that there is no discussion. An opinion is filmed and uploaded and mostly all that happens after that is a string of abuse in the comments section which gets ignored, and either Likes of Dislikes - the system allowing such things - and no more.

Voicing your opinion in a forum, such as this, is another matter entirely: here we / they are open for discussion and, as we see here, the discussion does come with many new ideas, many differing opinions and, occasionally, a whole string of agreement. You can only be open to other opinions, prepared to discuss, if the means are there, and most video portals - be it YouTube or anywhere else - simply do not allow it.

17. Irisviel

It's utter crap when used to undermine facts - like, if someone uses this phrase to back up their saying that, say, evolution doesn't exist. Of course people are "entitled" to believe in false ideas, but there is a lot of things that are not opinions.

I can have an opinion about Hillary Clinton, and I'm entitled to think her a good/bad candidate.

I'm not entitled to an "opinion" that the earth is flat, because that is not an opinion; it's being wrong. Of course, if someone insists on being wrong, it's their choice I guess.

However... facts vs opinions are really the core of the problem here. Also, nowadays it seems like people get awfully touchy when their views are somehow challenged, but that's another topic.

18. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's like "No offense, but...". Which is then inevitably followed by something tactless or offensive.

19. Lipstick Leuger

To me those words are an attempt to shut down conversation and not have to defend why you feel some way. The same goes with 'check your priviledge' statements. This is just a way to not have to be bothered with defending your thoughts and a different way to say 'shut up'

20. Rowe

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It is true, but they don't have the right to use it against others.