1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

i found out my son is bisexual but should i let him no i no? please help :)

Discussion in 'For Parents and Family Members of LGBT People' started by SL84, Mar 10, 2016.

1. SL84

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hello :rolle:
    I yesterday i found out my 13 year old son is bisexual, he has recently come out to a few friends at school, i found out because, i went to see if he had been sneaking on his laptop after bed time..but i saw a skype message from a friend that said she is here for him threw his troubles so i looked into it more, "being a concerned mother" i came to realise that he is bisexual, its was a slight shock but i am not in the slightest bothered, and want to fully support him, as i no hes having troubles about feeling worthless and as i can imagine a lot of other mixed upsetting emotions, i really want to just say I DONT CARE I LOVE YOU, but of course i can not, and im unaware weather to talk to him and tell him i no? or do i wait and let him tell me? please please help... thanks :slight_smile:

2. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hi, im a parent of a teen as well. let him come to you and dont let him know you saw his message. trust is such a big deal and so easy to break at that age. you can let him know that LGBT is ok with you, if it is. by letting hints drop like if there is something in the media related, say that you approve, or that you support, really it's just like other parenting being there and keeping that communication open. he'll come to you when he is ready and in truth it is his story to tell when and how he's ready. you merely have to let him know that the audience will be ready too.

hope this helps.

3. NicoC123

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! I'm so glad that you are so supportive of your son! That is a wonderful mentality you have. You should most definitely wait for him to come to you. But that doesn't mean that you can't drop hints and let him know that you are there if he needs to talk about anything. I also wouldn't look too much into his social medias and what not unless you think he is in danger. Those are some of the only private communication places he has. I am not saying to not monitor him because that is, of course, necessary just make sure to let him have his privacy so that he has the room to grow and figure out who he is. You are doing a great job, and are a good mom. I hope all goes well!

4. LizSibling13

LizSibling13 Guest

Nico, welcome. As a 13 year old girl who was born a boy, I have to commend you for being a great parent. If you and your son have regular communications, he will open up. My parents, are supportive to me and to my other MtF sister, Liz. If your son is bi or gay or transgender, he is still your son (except if he is transgendered, then HE would be your daughter. :slight_smile: :grin: Ok, I have a sense of humor that is weird.)

Anyway, all kidding aside, just be supportive. He might B scared of making you hate him. Liz thought mom and dad would hate her for being a girl instead of a boy. Opening up to parents about sexual issues is hard.:goodluck:astonished:

5. Feelunique

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You accept him and that's awesome! I suggest let him be and don't pressure just support him!

6. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldnt say any thing. Maybe a few hints at the most. Youre just going have to deal with the pace that he wants to come out. Try not to think about it and work yourself into intervening. Next time, try not to snoop to begin with, you wouldnt have to deal with playing the caution game.

7. Violet4

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree with what was said. It's awesome that you support him, but let him do it when he is ready. The best thing to do while he doesn't is to maintain a good level of communication so he feels more comfortable.

Just try not to snoop because it's horrible to be unwillingly outed and I feel like every teen has the right to have some privacy.

Good luck!

8. yeahyeah

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let him tell you when he is ready and maybe it sounds bad but don't let him know that you knew about that.

9. Theron

Let him come to you. In the meantime when issues come up in the news, make appropriate comments. If something bad happens (religious liberty laws allowing discrimination being passed) say something about how horrible it is that it's still such a fight for equality. If something good happens, say it's good. You get the drift. If he KNOWS you're supportive of LGBT rights, it may reassure him.

10. AngelDragonfly

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I'm 13 and bisexual too, just wanted to let you know how your son might want to be addressed. I haven't come out yet, but if you tell him right away that you saw in his skype he'll be mad. (or probably will, anyway). I'd want to be first told that I'm loved, and that no matter what sexuality I am, {mom} will always be there. Say sorry you snooped, I don't know how you monitor your son's activity, but there's got to be some agreement of what is acceptable snooping/monitoring in your household, if you went over it, be aware and say sorry, that you were just concerned about him and wanted to support him as soon as you saw the message. Please don't treat this like a "phase"-that annoys me sooooo badly and it'll annoy him too- people never know until they know, and it's just a period of finding yourself. Let him know you know but gently and nicely and don't talk excessively with him about it unless he wants to, it's embarrassing to talk with your parents about these things sometimes. If he comes out to you and you knew and you tell him that, he'll most likely feel betrayed. However, I don't know you or your son, so do what you think is best. BTW you sound like a great mom. :icon_bigg So be gentle, be firm, and follow your instincts, because it all depends on the situation. Just thought you might want to hear what somebody in a similar situation and age might want to hear from you. Hope I helped! :icon_bigg

Oh and just tell him you love him, no strings attached. Maybe get him a journal, or therapy if he's feeling worthless...but this might be a delicate situation, so just talk to him and find out what's going on.

Trust is a big thing, and let him know the only reason you were checking his skype messages was that you were worried about "illegal" (LOL) computer time.
    Again, it all depends on the situation. If you feel that telling him you know will completely break his trust, or if he knows that you check his computer regularly- then it all depends. So evaluate what your rules are and if it was acceptable. Handle it delicately, and with your own terms. But even if he doesn't tell you, just tell him you love him no matter what.

#10 AngelDragonfly, Apr 2, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2016
  11. Lalayajen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    You should just be supportive and not rush anything. He will tell you when it's time.
    Make him feel safe inside family and try to show him that you support LGBTQ+ people

12. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    my mom kinda pulled me out. its was really uncomfortable and i think you shouldnt do it to your kid. if he/she didnt tell you, he/she probably isnt ready. What you can do, however is tell him (not immediately, but like in little pieces if that makes sense) that you support the LGBT+ and that you love him no matter what. this way, he'd maybe be more comfortable telling you.

Im pround for your son to come out at such an early age. Its a hard thing to do. But he's pretty young though, so i think he should take it easy, because he may be a bit young to really know what his sexuality is.

hope this may helped:slight_smile: