1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Plurality...

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by Linus, Mar 9, 2016.

1. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There's a multi personality condition called plurality. A bit like DID. Though I myself can't distinguish much of a difference... Anyways my friend claims to have it. He says he was born with it, though when I read up, it says that plurality is caused by trauma. I want to believe him, but I'll admit that I'm skeptic, especially when it's a little known disorder, with not a lot of research on it that I can find. Of course, he doesn't consider it a disorder. He thinks that it's fine; even beneficial. Well I don't know... But it's listed as a disorder, And considering his past suicidal attempts, I think I have a right to be concerned, even if he isn't. Does anyone know anything about Plurality or DID? Anything with an verifiable source would help a lot.

2. SkylarRain

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know a little about dissociation, I can only speak from my own experiences though, so I don't know that would be enough, but I hope it helps. So, I started dissociating when I was about 9-10 because of trauma and it's certainly not something that I boast about (I don't hide it from everyone though, just therapy and close friends) and it's odd that this comes just out of nowhere, if I were you. I'd ask more questions, maybe they are being dishonest to you about whether or not they have experienced past trauma because they are ashamed?

So, in my experience I do this because of particular triggers (i.e. talking about sex, abuse, violence, etc. are very triggering for me). I do not have DID and I don't know if I have PTSD. I know that DID is usually pretty well spotted (some of your alters might have very different personality traits than you) and so that you've never heard any of this before (or noticed something is different) confuses me.

You said your friend attempted suicide in the past, so I agree, you have every right to be worried. Do you know why your friend was depressed? Just a thought, but that may have something to do with what is going on here.

This brings me to another question, (I know, so many questions, I'm sorry) but why isn't your friend concerned? I mean clearly they noticed a problem that was big enough they felt it needed to be brought to someone else's attention, so it's odd.

Do they see a therapist/social worker? Even if they don't have this disorder, they clearly need some counseling. And it wouldn't hurt to get someone's opinion who is unbiased and collect all the facts (I'm unbiased, however I only know what you tell me.) This might also give them someone to talk to, so they feel less lonely.

Those are my suggestions, I hope this helped:slight_smile:

3. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for your advice. I've done some more research on the subject too. My friend has always been complicated. There have been instances in the past, but they were sometimes hard to believe, randomly scattered, and it was hard to tell if he was lying or not. He can be a very good liar when he wants to be. I have reason to believe that he has gone through trauma. He knows that I know this and admits to it. He still claims that it was with him since birth. I don't know what to believe. In any case, it does not seem to bother him. It's like there are these people; individual people, and they take turns in his body. But I guess he gets along with them, communicates with them and is aware of them. I don't know if it should bother me or not... He does have a therapist.

And looking online, there are some people, people who are plural, who say that it is not a disorder. I haven't found evidence to back this, but I can see their point. If it's not harmful, that it's not really a disorder, right? I still don't think that I know enough. But, thank you for sharing.

#3 Linus, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016