1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you ever get over your first gay love?

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by Nostalgic Loft, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Nostalgic Loft

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This question haunts me. I think I am, and then something triggers it. She has hurt me in more ways than I ever thought possible. I have no interest in reunion, reconciliation or friendship. However, in the quiet times when I am alone in my bed...or my car...or a place we had been...or read a book or a news article she would like...or hate... I miss her, and I wish for a different ending.

Does anyone else struggle with these feelings?

I know that time heals all wounds... But this wound seems so deep...I doubt it will ever close.

2. Azrael79

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Iam still friends with him but we were never in a relationship, we love eachother but we both like girls as well, when we hang out we hook up sometimes.

#2 Azrael79, Mar 7, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2016
  3. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may not want to hear this, but I have never "gotten over" any love I've ever had (and I've had more than my share). They all haunt me to some degree.

Yes, with most, I see why it could not continue. With all, I see why it was not ideal. But no love is ideal (and I say this while being *utterly* thrilled with the woman with whom I've spent the past 30 years). And no love can continue. It is the nature of the Universe that everything comes to an end. But it is also in the nature of the Universe that everything is cyclic. And so I continue to love and to mourn lost love. To wish I could have had more. To celebrate what I do have.

Life is long and full of wonder, pain, and ecstasy. Drink in your pain...it's not going anywhere. But when you find love once more, your pain will become more manageable. Not gone; not even less. But more manageable.

4. Klutz

I thought the same thing about my first love; that I'd never get over it. It has been more than a year, and I think I'm over it. Sometimes, something makes me think of him and I feel something. I don't wish him ill, but I sure as hell don't wish him well. Mostly, I reminisce on lessons learned and how I will never be the person I was in that relationship ever again. And that is good. I hate the me I was. I'd hate him for making me that way, but I honestly don't think he had the self awareness to realize how he manipulated me. It'd be like hating a fish for not being able to walk. And I never want to admit that I gave anyone the power over me to make me anything. This is about you and your question, however.

I don't think it is bad to remember how nice it was to have a feeling of safety and home linked with another person. The feelings that you had and miss are something you know you want. Now you know some of the things you need in a relationship. You also know some of the things you can't have by seeing what went wrong. The could have beens are tough, but to have been that way, one or both of you would have been different people. My ex and I could have been great if I was a different person, or if he was. I'm enough of a hopeless romantic to believe that most people deserve and will find someone who will have all the "needs" and none of the "can't haves".

So, my advice is to mourn. Mourn the relationship and what you hoped it'd be, what you though it would be. Take your time. Reflect and see the good and the bad. Take care of yourself while you do it. You deserve to be healthy and live a good life, even if it isn't what you want at that time. One day you may realize that you are thinking more about the younger you than your ex. And I think that is what they mean by having moved on. The story is about singular you again, not plural you.

*Note: I'm bi. I didn't think it really mattered if it was the first homosexual love, just the first love.

5. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with BiAnnika on this one. If you shared something important and meaningful why would it go away? Why would you want it to? I'm still friends with a lot of my exes despite having been with my husband for eighteen years. There's a picture of me and my first love in our living room. I once tried to take it down out of respect for my husband and he asked me not to. He said he loved how happy I looked in the picture and knew it was an important time in my life and he would prefer it stay. Actually he's come to be pretty good friends with quite a few of my exes. They're part of my life and so is he. If you shared something special look off into the middle distance and feel wistful from time to time. There's nothing wrong with that. The fact that it didn't last forever doesn't mean it wasn't real.

6. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Now that I am in a loving relationship, I can understand very much how this could play out should it end (and it is always a possibility). Given my understanding of that possibility, I am engaging in this with a sense of deep friendship and common purpose.

Having learned a few things about relationships, I am deliberately keeping some distance between us in these early days. He and I both understand that, although we miss each other when we are absent from each other, this also forces us to think clearly about how we feel and to maintain our sense of self.

There is no getting over an intense love, but one can control to a certain extent how that love evolves so that, come what may, whether it lasts or not, there will be the memory of a beautiful and lingering friendship, with mutual respect, that endures.

7. idsm

I believe you don´t. But you do get over the feeling that not having them in your life is going to be the end of the world.

It´s a sweet memory and a nostalgic ´what if´ that stay..

#7 idsm, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  8. Birdie145

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    My 1st gay (1and only so far) relationship lasted a year. I didn't know it could be like that....
    I still think of her, wonder if she's happy. Certain songs take me right back to her, that time.
    It was me that ended it, but it took me a long, long time to get over her.

9. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think that these earlier so-called loves were often crushes, so it's important to discern whether or not it was love or a less mature type of infatuation. Yes, I got over them. It was almost always that the person possessed an intriguing quality, or a few of them. So, while I got over them, I still remember that quality, or those qualities, especially if of a visual sort.

10. Thirdtimecharm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The first woman I fell in love with I met when I was 14. I have loved her ever since. We don't have any sort of relationship right now and have not for three years and the intensity has weaned a bit but I still love her. Always will. Can't imagine a time in my life when I won't love her....difference now is that I don't long for her as I once did. She will always be a part of my heart.

11. Orchidea123

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Probably not - I don't want to at this moment as I am typing.
    But very often I do want to completely forget her. It hasn't been long enough yet..

I'd like to think that if nothing happens between us, it is not going to be in this lifetime then, maybe in the next one.
    I love her dearly and can not imagine if I never met her.
    Some time in this universe it may happen, and I am at peace with any outcome in this lifetime.
    Again, I sound zen, but who knows

#11 Orchidea123, Mar 9, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  12. Seahawksfan

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes that person is always going to be Special because Thry were your first boyfriend they know things about you that no one else Do so it makes it feel so real!

13. ChimerzRUs

My first girlfriend I regret letting her go, but I wanted to move cross country. So I never got over her because she was nicer than any other I have dated thus far. My 2nd and 3rd both proposed to me then cheated on me and that hurt me so deeply I haven't gotten over the betrayal. I dated a few since, but didn't love them and finally just gave up on dating. So I guess you could say I didn't get over my first loves and the first gf I think of often how she even complimented me for being so neat because of being intersex and therefore 'different'.

14. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, based on my experience I believe you can. I believe closure is very important. But sometimes getting closure and getting over your first love might a) be elusive, b) might take a lot of time and c) requires some soul searching on your part.

It took me more than 10 years to find total closure after my first love. Had I been more comfortable with myself at the time, I might have found it much sooner.

15. TAXODIUM

I *thought* I was in love with other married men twice, but then I met HIM and everything was different. I thought it would last forever, but then almost a year ago :
    his wife figured it out
    he panicked and bolted to save his marriage and his family
    I went into a deep, suicidal depression
    came out to my wife as a result
    and now I'm trying to pick up the pieces with her because she is irreparably damaged by my physical and emotional infidelity
    he is long gone
    and I just exist from day to day.
    I hope that one day I will get over him, but at this point I doubt I ever will.

i see you
    your comments
    your likes on our friend’s FB page
    every time
    it’s like a razor
    a gut punch
    you haunt me
    my thoughts
    my dreams
    why
    fucking why
    these months last year
    the happiest the most complete the most fulfilled
    of my life
    and you’ve now been gone more than twice as long as you were here
    the thing is
    i knew
    i knew you would break my heart
    from the beginning
    i knew
    you would destroy me
    and i let you
    i fucking let you
    because that’s how much
    i love you
    still

j’essaie de ne pas me laisser envahir par
    la mélancolie
    m’efforçant de
    ne
    pas
    penser
    à toi
    lorsque
    les images les souvenirs les odeurs tout tout tout fucking tout me rappelle de toi
    en fin de compte je
    ne peux
    m’arrêter de
    rêvasser
    des premiers échanges de la première rencontre de cette aisance naturelle du premier baiser cette connaissance intime inée que nous avions que j’étais certain que nous partagerions pour
    toujours
    l’un
    de
    l’autre
    et
    je me demande si
    toi aussi
    tu
    as parfois
    ces mêmes pensées cette même nostalgie ce regret
    de nous

#15 TAXODIUM, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
  16. Weston

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yup, that pretty much captures it.

17. Icecold3710

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Hi Nostalgic Loft,

I believed that you will in time, when you find your true love. For me, what matters is who will be the last person in my life.

18. Forhim

It does take time. The first guy I ever met I fell in love with, we hung out all the time, doing things we both enjoyed, this went on for a good 3 years. He ended up moving say for work. It took me a while to get over him, we still talk via Facebook. We have ended up being good friends. I know everyone's first lve does not turn out this way but mine did. Keep you head held high, it takes time.

19. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes. After a year, I couldn't imagine why I would ever like him.

20. Miss PH fan

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    No, you never do