1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Don't feel I fit in the lgbt community? (Rant)

Discussion in 'General Support and Advice' started by MerBear, Mar 4, 2016.

1. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This one has always been a hot button issue on here. I'm proud that I'm an out gay man. I'm proud of my community and I don't think that I am the same person I would have been if I was straight. I'm proud to be part of a community that chose love and honesty in the face of possibly losing everything.

I grew up in Utah. My husband grew up in Oklahoma. We are in our forties (OK he's an honorary forty-something--he's fifty). There was a lot at stake in choosing to be open and honest and we made the right decision. I'm very proud of that. I get that others aren't. And, while I honestly do think that people would be happier if they were, it doesn't really bother me that people feel that way.

It doesn't really affect me at all to be honest--part of that is because I live somewhere where I'm protected by both legal statute and, more and more, societal norms. I'm married, out to pretty much everyone and I experience virtually no real homophobia in my day-to-day life. I've already benefited from the work of visibility and, yeah, that work is largely done for me. So if others don't want to be proud or celebrate pride that's perfectly alright for me. I'm still a proud member of the LGBT community.

I'm proud of who we are and what we've done. I'm proud of what we've achieved and what we continue to fight for (not everyone has it as good as I do). And I just like LGBT people. So yeah, I belong to gay organizations. I live in a rather gay neighborhood. I go to Pride. I enjoy an evening out at a gay bar or going to cheer on friends in their gay sports leagues. My husband and I often stay at gay hotels when we travel. You can't swing a dead cat in our gym without hitting a gay person. And I like it that way. I like it that way the way Catholics like going to church or... or for the same reasons people go to Comic Con. We're all equal, but we're most assuredly not all the same--nor do I think we should be.

I'm proud. Others aren't. I'm fine with people not being proud. What I don't understand is why are so many people so upset about the fact that I am?

2. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Or, we could let people decide for their own selves what "agenda" they want to push or not push, instead of trying to dictate it to them?

3. MerBear

I love how you assume this is trying to dictate them. Like honestly. That's funny. You clearly didn't read what I said but thanks for pointing out something that never existed :slight_smile:

4. MerBear

I'm simply saying what I think we should. It's called an opinion, ever heard of it?