1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A beggar comes up to ask you for change. What do you do?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SubZero, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Ihavetojustbeme

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i would buy him some lunch and try to find him some help and point him in the right direction to do so

2. HuskyPup

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends on the situation. In Baltimore, I probably get asked about 5 times a day, just on my way to catch the train, so I can't possibly give everyone change, or I'd be broke. Depends on how the person strikes me, but I'm not averse to giving people $ here and again; if they buy food, great, if not, who am I to judge? I know that handing out whatever change isn't going to end world suffering, but it might make somebody feel good for a little while, whether via food or drugs, and sometimes, that's all a person has left in the world. It's sad and imperfect, yes, but that's life.

#22 HuskyPup, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  3. Joelouis

In one of the national newspapers yesterday was an article on fake beggars and what they make per week. One guy begged on the streets to make his money then drove home in an Audi TT.

My days of being generous are long gone. Being kind only sets you up to have the piss taken out of you.

That's my view anyhow.

4. the haunted

Well I don't carry change around, so I would have to give them a bill. I might have one dollar bills on me, but I carry around a lot of cash. Honestly, I would be afraid of getting jacked once they see how much cash I carry. I would just say I don't have any cash. I'd buy them a meal without hesitation.

5. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This might be a young and naive opinion, but I don't see the harm in giving a few bucks out to beggars.
    Even if you run the risk of supporting an asshole who doesn't need it, you're still helping those who really, really need it.

6. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've had nothing but bad experiences with people begging for money, food, rides or whatever, so I generally tell them no and keep on walking/driving. I feel bad for the people who are truly homeless and not just begging as a profession, but I'm no longer willing to put myself in a bad position with all the scammers in order to try and help the small percentage that are people who authentically need help. I'd rather donate to a shelter.

7. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    After 28 complaints in five months, persistent beggar banned from Leeds city centre

#27 imnotreallysure, Mar 4, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  8. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I never give money to beggars - except once when he said he needs it for booze as he is in danger of sobering. Gave him a buck for his honesty which entertained me.

Some years ago I was in India visiting a friend. We ate in a fancy restaurant and I couldn't finish my plate so I decided to take it with me and give it to the first beggar. 3m from the restaurant door the first beggar jumps on me. It's a boy maybe 6 years old. My friend explains in Hindi that I don't give money but he can have the food. The kid is puzzled and walks away. 10s later the same kid is pulling my sleeve saying something. My friend goes berserk and starts shouting at the kid who promptly runs away. I ask my friend what was that all about and he says the kid wanted money for taking the food. :slight_smile:

9. SubZero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    After reading all your replies, most of you seem to be very generous and I applaud that.

I'm usually a genuine person and I try to help others out any way I can. It's just that I felt kind of uneasy/unsafe the way he approached me and I kept my guard. I dunno...I just was just very hesitate of giving him something, but after reflecting back on that situation, I probably should have done something to help him out. Having regrets definitely suck. :cry:

10. Foz

Foz Guest

I did use to help, however I'd stop in the next shop and buy them a sandwich - About 75% will look at you weirdly, I'd even been insulted by them more than once. That's pretty much why I stopped helping because all they wanted was money, not the basic life essentials.

11. MCairo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't, unless the guy is being aggressive or just keeps bothering me. But, in this case, it's more to get rid of him than to actually care about helping.

12. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've done that a few times especially in the city where I'm unsure of people and I know that there are shelters available. There was a guy in my old neighborhood who was homeless and you could tell he actually was homeless by the way he appeared and he always hada dog with him so anytime I go back to that neighborhood I always give home $5-$10 but he never asks for it or begs for money and the last time I was out there he was at the gas station sitting outside with his dog and a guy went and got them both food and water and it made me feel good that at least someone else is helping him out too

13. Weregild

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I try to pretend they didn't talk to me. If that doesn't work, then I come up with an excuse not to help them.

14. jaska

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah I wouldn't give him money just so he can go and get tripped, but I might buy him a hot drink and a nice meal if he says he needs food.

15. thepandaboss

I used to and I feel bad for admitting it but I really don't anymore. First off, I never, ever carry cash. And many of the homeless in my town are kind of confrontational, lot of them sex offenders. I try to donate to local organizations but I don't feel comfortable giving change to panhandlers, shitty as that sounds.

16. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I give what I can, but most of the time I rarely have loose change or bills on me to help the person out with. I'd honestly empty half my wallet for someone in need if it came down to it.

17. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom and I like to gather snacks and dry stuff that we don't eat/use every month or so, pack them in little bags and store it in the backseat of our car. That whole week, whenever we see handicapped/old/little beggars, we stop by and hand a bag each with a bottle of water. My mom says that's better than giving them money or pre-packaged store bought goods, since they'll just go to a corner store and sell it back for money.

18. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok I don't think you should give them money because they could by anything such as drugs so you could be doing more damage than good. I'm not saying they are into drugs but you never know. The best thing is food.

19. PrettyinPunk

That is just an amazing thing you and your mother are doing!

If I had money on me sure. If I'm that desperate on change I'm probably in trouble. I may offer to buy them food alternatively. I grew up in Chicago so beggars were common. My mother would sometimes give them money only if she could watch what they bought.(As to not further alcoholism)

20. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I generally don't give money to beggars, even if I've just bought something a few minutes ago. I've given an apple to a beggar, and he immediately started eating it, so at least I know he's had something to eat, even though it's not much. I wouldn't feel bad if I were you. If you have to give, say, one dollar to every beggar you see, you will also have to start begging for money. Groceries are a little different, if you know they will use it and not sell it for money for booze or glue or whatever their "poison" is. But still, you cannot give stuff to every beggar you come across, at your own expense. Don't feel bad, not all of us give stuff to beggars :slight_smile: (*hug*)