1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bisexuality vs Pansexuality - (Sort of a Debate) ???

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by H20, Mar 3, 2016.

1. Irisviel

In theory, bisexual means binary attraction (cis or trans, but clearly male/female), pan would also include the non binary.

In real life, I find no difference. Non binary people can be seen as a combination of the binary qualities, plus, the physicality is always a combination of male/female traits. So, be it pan or bi... theory is defeated by reality. It's just like choosing between calling yourself "lesbian" or "gay".

2. ATtappman

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I identify as bisexual because I'm simply not physically or romantically attracted to non-binary or trans people. I'm attracted to guys and girls. And isn't that what being bisexual is?? Bi=2, Pan=All....

And I'm sorry - I do get kind of "huffy puffy" over stuff like this, because (although I know most people don't mean it this way) it feels like during these discussions someone is trying to tell me that my sexuality is invalid, like it doesn't matter whether I'm attracted to non-binaries or not, because I'm just creating another confusing label. It just feels... like you're minimizing the difference between being attracted to a group of people, and not being attracted to them. If it didn't matter, there would've have been this split in the first place.

#22 ATtappman, Mar 6, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2016
  3. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This. This.

There are some Bi people that are attracted to nonbinary genders but use bi because it's got a meaning to them. But even if it's used, the most correct form means two. Pan is a person that would like a person regardless of their sex or gender.

For example: me (pan) and my friend (bi) my friend finds girls hot and boys hot. Like, girl's type of hot and boy's type of hot. And I, as pan, find people hot. I mean I would obviously find a guy hot if that person is a boy, but I don't make a clear distinction. Just hot. Something like that I guess idk

4. Irisviel

Some people make those funny comments that they are bisexual and not attracted to trans people.

Grow up, mtf and ftm are women and men, respectively. Not something outside the binary in "bisexual".

The only people that kind of fit into "pan-" definition are non binary transgender people. And it's just not true that only people who are bisexual or pansexual are attracted to non binary people. In fact, there are also (shock, I know) straight people in relationships with non binary folks!

5. Gentlady

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel like this has been said already but I just have to voice my opinion on this one too, as someone who changed their label from bi to pan.

Bisexuality is attraction to male and female and yes, trans included. (because if someone's a trans woman, she's a woman! And if someone's a trans man, he's a man!!)
    Pansexuality is attraction to any and all genders, or in other words attraction regardless of gender.

That is to say that often bisexuals perceive the people they're attracted to as strictly male or female, like those who are only attracted to one gender(straight people and gay/lesbians). And pansexuals just see people they're attracted to and think "they're attractive" without even having started considering their gender.

That does not mean there couldn't be preferences. I myself prefer femininity. But that means I prefer feminine looks regardless of gender! A good example is my current crush. He is a cis guy who looks slightly like a girl. I am not attracted to him because he is a guy. I am attracted to him because IMO he is attractive. It doesn't matter that he is a feminine-looking guy. I also have a friend whose gender I don't know. I don't know their sex either. And it doesn't matter. To pansexuals gender is not important.

Bisexual as a word means attracted to two genders. And usually there two genders are male and female.

Anyway I think I've started repeating myself so I will stop talking now.

6. biAnnika

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hear this over and over, and I honestly can't tell whether it's because of difference of opinion or sloppy use of language.

There is a difference between sex and gender, as transpeople pretty much prove to us.

I believe the word is bisexual, because it is *meant* to describe attraction to the polar sexes; not to the polar genders.

I don't know about the majority of humankind, but I personally have never felt attraction toward a gender. But I definitely have felt attraction based on a person's sex. Now I also find attraction to a person based on their personality, which includes how they express their gender...and I've found attractive and unattractive transpeople just like I've found attractive and unattractive cis-people. And sometimes how transperson is expressing their gender turns me off (or on) just like how a cisperson is expressing their gender turns me off (or on). But I think it would be ridiculous to say I'm attracted to certain expressions of gender *as part of my sexuality*, just like it would be ridiculous to say that the fact that I'm attracted to kindess or reflectiveness is *part of my sexuality*. That's not sexuality...that's just taste in personality. Sexuality refers to sex.