1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Transition tattoo :)

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Alisa Arwen, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Alisa Arwen

Interesting idea

2. Alisa Arwen

What about just a small female symbol?

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's nice. :slight_smile:

I kind of want the male symbol with a hummingbird inside. Hummingbirds have special significance and represent hope to me. If I still want it when I'm 21, I'll get it. No regrets!

4. Delta

That's a great idea I think! Try to put it somewhere on yourself that you can see, or at least see in a mirror. :slight_smile: I have my tattoo on my back, and while it is perfectly placed on my body, I do wish I could look at it.

5. AaronV

I've thought of getting the chemical structure of testosterone tattooed. That way, unless you are an expert people won't automatically know what it's for. Than again I hated Chemistry in high school so I'm not sure.
    I'm probably just gonna end up with some song lyrics. ^^

6. Alisa Arwen

What about a Chinese character associated with femininity?

7. InfinityonHigh

I'm not trying to intentionally start a fight here, but if you're not Chinese and don't understand Chinese, getting a tattoo in Chinese characters is cultural appropriation; it's fetishizing the language. If you want to get a tattoo with words, why not just get it in English? Chinese is just a language, it's characters are not exotic or special; treating them as such is fetishization.

On the top of my head, there aren't many single characters in Chinese that are associated with femininity. Most Chinese words with gendered connotations contain the word for the gender itself.

You could always take something in English and add some designs around it. You could make it cursive, add some color schemes, add some flower designs etc. If you're not particularly "artsy" you can always have someone else design something like that for you. Again, I'm not looking for a lengthy flame war.

#27 InfinityonHigh, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  8. looking for me

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its your body, its your expression and your art. get what ever you desire and which speaks to you. that's what a tattoo is, yours. it is not for anyone to comment on, nor dictate what is or is not allowed. if you are getting a tattoo in a foriegn language, do your research carefully and get an artist who is well versed in writing and, if possible, in that language.

9. Alisa Arwen

I completely see where you are coming from, fair point. I am not up for a flame war either :slight_smile:

10. Lazuri

I like the Japanese/Chinese Kanji for two reasons. The first reason is that one symbol can represent several words and even an entire concept, much like a picture can. The second reason is because "what does that mean?" is an excellent conversation starter when meeting new people.

So while I see your point, I think there are good reasons to pick kanji over just words. Though Japanese tattoo artists probably won't agree--I've seen more than one picture of a person asking a tattoo artist in Japan to write something in kanji, only to have them write "Idiot Foreigner" on them, which is quite frankly an asshole thing to do no matter what your opinion on the subject is.

11. InfinityonHigh

I do see where you are coming from and I can understand your reasoning. The thing I see as the most problematic is when some people get a tattoo is foreign characters (almost always Chinese) is when they want the characters tattooed on them because it's "cool" or "edgy" or something similar to that. As to the case where people do know the meaning of what their tattoo means, I'm on the fence but I still find it fetishizing, though not as severely so as the former scenario. But of course, I cannot speak for all East Asian people.

This might come off to be insensitive, I do feel that the person that got the tattoo deserves at least part of the blame. In a way, that tattoo artist technically didn't do anything wrong, but that indeed is a mean spirited thing to do. The person that got the tattoo should have done more research on it. Honestly part of me can't help but think that that was just a case of "what goes around comes around." I have seen that there were times where neither the tattoo artist or the client knew fully what the tattoo meant, and the person that got the tattoo later found out that it did not mean what they thought it meant. You could google this and you'll find plenty of such examples.

I'm not sure what direction this is going but if you want to discuss this further I doubt it would be helpful to do it on this thread. I won't mind a PM or a wall message, though I'm not entirely sure what I have to add to this.

I guess the most relevant thing here in terms of the thread as a whole is to learn from other people's mistakes and research what you're doing. This could also apply to symbols/pictures.

#31 InfinityonHigh, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  12. Xvision

Maybe a opera mask symbol but with a half man crying and a half woman laughing tattoo instead of the black and white happy and sad mask?

13. Alisa Arwen

What symbols are there that represent change?

14. InfinityonHigh

You could always have a butterfly coming out of a cocoon, I think this is a classic "metamorphosis" symbol.

15. Chef

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    me i got 2 tattoos done, one was a death moth, which mean death and rebirth. the other was a purple flower. i had them put on the bikini line so noone but me knows their there. unless i'am wearing a swimsuit.
    get one though that suits you, take your time with it, and you'll figure it out what best for you

16. DemiLiHue

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What does .5cc mean?? And what is the structure of testosterone??

17. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I remember from Physics class that the Greek letter Δ (delta) means change.

18. Mr Spock

.5cc is a common measurement of testosterone that trans guys take, from what I can gather from youtube. I think Ayden Dowling made it a thing.

19. Nike007

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Maybe a ying-yang? Like you can use different colours for it. Maybe that's more if you're androgyne, but that was my first though. Or you can colour as blue fading and pink rising so blue is only the tip and the rest is pink? Maybe this sounds too stereotypical with the colours, but you can choose your own. Hope this helps :slight_smile:.

20. AaronV

I was referring to this when I said structure:
    [​IMG]