1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Turn-offs

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by state-champs, Feb 24, 2016.

1. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I don't know if this thread has been posted recently but I'm going to make a new one. As you can already tell by the title of this post...What are your turn-offs when meeting a new person or getting to know them? I guess this seems kind of shallow but you kind of have to be when looking for a potential partner, right?
    For me I'd have to say the most obvious which is we have nothing in common. That leads me to one of my other turn-offs/ pet peeves, which is when the person keeps bringing up the same topics over again. If every time we talk to each other you bring up the same thing you said last time...It just really bugs me and emphasizes the fact that we have nothing in common or to talk about.

Other things that are turn-offs
    - bad hygiene
    - can't have an intellectual conversation.
    - small talk every time we speak.
    - when they're not interested in talking about certain topics. I.e politics, news, etc.
    - when someone comes on too strong when we initially start talking (confessing their love or whatever when they barely know you)
    - CLINGY people. I hate people who text you too much. Call you 4 times in less than 7 minutes.
    - People who randomly show up at my door (if they know where I live) WITHOUT telling me. That pisses me off the most.
    - Do not share similar interests. Like I can't stay friends with someone who's going to shit all over things I like. That's not going to fly with me.

(Damn I'm a picky person.....)

#1 state-champs, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2016
  2. Harjus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The biggest turn-offs for me are arrogance and being narrow minded. I also don't like too aggressive and/or manipulative people. If those traits are missing I won't be avoiding you.

3. QueerChair

I'm gonna feel like such a b!#*h after this...

-Anyone who triggers my Misophonia and won't stop if I tell them to. (I've had near panic attacks and fight/flight responses before, so that's a pretty big thing for me).
    -Saying things about me like I hardly ever talk, or I'm awkward, or I'm not how people thought I would be from how my friends describe me. Mostly due to social anxiety and my friends being able to help me through that whenever they're around. (looking at you ex-boyfriend -,-)
    -Demanding I do stuff (just when I first meet someone).
    -Not having a sense of sarcasm.
    -Not being able to take a joke in general.
    -Not liking the internet/devices.
    -If they don't like cats (I have a pet cat who is probably my best friend to be honest, he cuddles with me, comforts me, and comes with no drama. He is my baby).
    -If they're homophobic (thought that would be obvious).
    -Having a bad taste in music.
    -Being serious ALLLL the time.
    And of course not having something in common.

Although, even if someone did act like any of those I wouldn't hate them... I find it difficult to hate people for that, I can't hate someone just for being different than me. Unless they do something to trigger my Misophonia and they won't stop no matter how much I beg, then you're definitely on my hated list.

#3 QueerChair, Feb 24, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Man, fuck that. If anyone tells you you're a bitch for having standards, or having particular things you don't like about a person, tell 'em to piss off. As long as it isn't blatantly hating toward a specific group of people, or like "I hate all people with glasses," then you're fine.

#4 DougTheBicycle, Feb 25, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Heterosexuality :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

6. the haunted

- Bad hygiene
    - Constantly talking bad about themselves
    - Very overweight
    - Negativity
    - Weird/gross teeth
    - Over-apologetic
    - No self confidence

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Piercings.

8. LesbianThrasher

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    -Tattoos-I absolutely loathe tattoos and I think that it ruins the looks of an otherwise pretty girl.
    -Being a feminist
    -Too liberal
    -Isn't religious
    -Not having any kind of muscle-it's a bit of a fetish of mine

9. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anyone who can't stop talking or doesn't let me get a word in. That is a major turn-off for a friend and I find it very difficult to be around people like that.

10. Cornered

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Turns off include:
    - Somebody that speaks incessantly, is narrow-minded and tries to force their opinions upon other people.
    - Somebody with little to no manners.
    - Somebody who engages in small talk about nothing constantly.
    - Somebody who doesn't like animals or are allergic to them (they'd sneeze all the time because all my clothes have dog hair on them XD)
    - Somebody who complains about things or their situation without doing anything to actively change the situation.
    - Somebody who invades my personal space.
    - Somebody who does not respect what I believe.
    - Somebody who argues and cannot end the argument until they have won, their voice getting louder and louder. (I knew this girl who was like that once, and it wasn't even me she was arguing with, it was other people in my grade, but I was in the same room, and her voice just kept getting louder and louder, I was going to snap and scream for everybody to just shut the fuck up but then somebody else put their foot down, or she put her volume down, I can't really remember.)
    - Somebody who doesn't like any and/or all kinds of music.
    - Somebody who is focused on the materialistic side of life.
    - Somebody with whom I have nothing in common.
    - Somebody who has bad grammar and/or spelling, though spelling might be excused if it is a commonly misspelt word or difficult. Both are excused if English is not their first language.
    - Somebody who doesn't understand that I just really really need to be alone sometimes.
    - Somebody who makes me do things I don't want to do. (Eg. Go to parties, take drugs etc.)
    - Somebody who borrows my things constantly, even with or without asking.

Um, I... didn't realize how long this was... Maybe I shouldn't have brainstormed for more than 10 minutes... ^^;

11. cakepiecookie

I could have written this list myself! (Unannounced drop-ins are probably my biggest pet-peeve ever, no matter who it is.)

I'll also add two more:

- not having a similar sense of humour. I need to be able to laugh with someone. More than that, I think that humour tells you a lot about how someone thinks, which I guess is why people usually find it so important in a partner.

- failing to pick up on normal social cues and being completely oblivious about how I'm feeling. I don't expect people to be psychics, but total cluelessness gets awkward very quickly.

12. PAKmanIA

PAKmanIA Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    THIS HAS HAPPENED TO ME SEVERAL TIMES::
    Most of my QF'S have been during the day!!
    I wait outside for them to drive Up, they see my face and SQUEAL THEIR BREAKS as they leave me standing there!!!!:confused::tears:

13. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    That's such a terrible thing for someone to do to you, I'm so sorry you had that happen.

My turn offs are a bad/non-existent sense of humour, holding only slightly watered down views as that of my 70 yr old grandad, being rude or dismissive of the serving staff when we're out, bad hygiene.

14. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Small talk.

Only talking about one subject every time we speak, like if someone knows I'm a horse addict, that's ALL they ever talk about with me. I don't mind FOR A WHILE, but if they can't think of anything else to talk about, they should rather just STFU and fuck off.

Obvious homophobia/biphobia/transphobia, etc.

Poor hygiene

HATE when someone invades my personal space. I have a huge personal bubble, and only allow a select few inside it.

Basic annoyances, like when someone drags their feet when they walk or when they're chewing with their mouth open, even if it's only chewing gum; or when they slurp their drinks.

Extreme body modifications are also a huge turn-off.

And the biggest turn-off is when someone lies to me - and thinks I'm stupid enough to believe their bs.

15. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :lol: Yeah, that would be a problem!

16. CyanChachki

- Bad hygiene
    - Self Absorbed/My Way or the Highway attitude
    - Racist/Homophobic/Misogynistic/Mistandristic attitude
    - Dramatic queens
    - Clingy people
    - People who are just downright rude, claiming that they're just being honest. (You can be honest without being rude)
    - People who make fun or bully others. Don't care if your friend thinks it's funny, that's not an excuse for your behavior.

17. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -Being rude to anyone
    -Shows little signs of intelligence
    -Bad hygiene
    -People who aren't considerate- no, you don't have to hold the door open for me, just move out of the way to let people walk.
    -People who have crazy low self-esteem, almost as if it's depression
    -Those who blame their mistakes/shortcomings/results of stuff onto others
    -Narrow minded people
    -Super homophobic people
    -Those with not a single shred of similar interests with me
    -People who dress inappropriately (you don't need to dress like a slut...)
    -People who are PERPETUALLY on their phones, especially when eating
    -As above, but using their earpiece when walking together

...yeeeea....I think that's mostly it....

18. Vav

Vav Guest

- Can't have interesting or intellectual conversations with me. I don't actually care about education, but I'm thinking of using it as a filter. I get along better with educated people even though I haven't graduated high school yet.

- Bad spelling and grammar during texting. It doesn't have to be perfect, but I lose respect for people who say u or r. If I know they're texting on a crappy phone I'll forgive this.

- Weaboo or neckbeard vibe. If you watch anime or play video games, but you don't have a Weaboo or neckbeard vibe this doesn't matter to me. People's vibes are important to me.

- If I notice any type of bad vibes that's a turn off as well.

- Using guns. I don't care if you're a responsible gun owner, only go to shooting ranges or just collect guns. It's a pretty big turn off for me. It also means we don't share a lot of values.

- Being too much of a skeptic. I'm a spiritual person. I want to be with someone who will respect that and won't make me feel crazy.

- Acting bored around me. I know I can be a bit nerdy and intense for some people. It really hurts my feelings when people are bored by what I say. It feels like a personal attack.

- Defining yourself by watching Netflix. I don't really care if people watch Netflix. I just don't like people who constantly brag about binging on Netflix and wearing sweats all the time.

#18 Vav, Feb 26, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2016
  19. Jellal

List of turn-offs:

#1: People who list turn-offs.

Jeez, I guess I turn myself off.

20. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I really don't understand nose rings. Especially when they have it right in the center of their nose. I mean really they look like a fucking bull.