1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does Crying Lower Your Opinion of Somebody?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Plattyrex, Feb 21, 2016.

1. CyanChachki

It depends on the situation. If the crying is reasonable, I feel sorry for them and my opinion on them isn't changed. If it's not..say if it's done purely for sympathy points, done to get the crier's way or to get out of trouble.. then sorry to say, I will probably have less respect for that person.

2. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I feel like these examples of people crying for the "wrong reasons" are more likely to apply to girls than guys--so maybe in terms of the thread I was thinking more of guys. For example, I've only seen my best friend cry once (when he was overwhelmed by dealing with his mentally ill mother) and it was a very intimate and powerful moment because of the fact that he would never cry otherwise.

3. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others have said, only if it's fake.

4. QueerChair

Depends on the situation, I try not to judge people because sometimes I can get upset over things that seem little to others.
    Such as getting upset cause I'm not with my friends in a group activity, but that's also because I have social anxiety and feel much more comfortable in a group with my friends.

5. Minori

Not to me.

6. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes me sad to see another person crying but my opinion of that person doesn't change in a negative way. It depends what the reason is but more often than not I feel that crying shows a hidden strength in a person. I would even say that when a guy cries for the right reasons it is an attractive quality.
    I actually enjoy a good cry ever now and then which I find can really help to de-stress and release some emotional pressure so I don't care if people see that as a weakness etc because I know it's one of my strengths.

7. plant

It doesn't lower my opinion of a person at all, it makes me seem them as more human, and that they're willing to be vulnerable around other people.

8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Only if its fake because then obviously its attention-seeking and manipulative. Oh and if you cry aaaall the time then I just can't deal with that. But I mean, people who react to stressful situations by crying, I will just feel very empathetic towards them. It will probably make me like the person more. In terms of guys crying in particular, that's actually super endearing I think, since, as a bisexual, I love the sensitivity of girls and I love seeing a touch of that in a guy. Men too often are trying hard to seem pretty emotionless, which is not a good look as far as I'm concerned.

9. LHecW

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Seeing someone start crying (in a non-manipulative way) definitely doesn't make me have a negative impression of them. There's always a reason behind it.
    I dislike being seen to cry but as an angry crier I really can't help it if someone gets me worked up, nothing I can do to stop it really.