1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drag?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Young Blood, Feb 18, 2016.

1. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, I just want to clarify that I am in no way hating on drag queens and I am totally accepting of it and I think they're all absolutely fabulous :slight_smile:

But I just want to understand it better. What exactly is the purpose of it? I mean, dressing up like a woman. I'm assuming that there's no gender dysphoria, you just dress like women and perform? And from what I understand they're all gay men. So what is the appeal of dressing like a woman? I mean, you're not attracted to them so why dress up like them?

Like I said, I'm not hating at all and I think it's really cool what they do and they're absolutely amazing at it, but I just have a lot of questions...Lol. So I thought I would open this up to discussion and see if anyone can answer me here :slight_smile:

2. Some Dude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Entertainment/Fun?

3. coyote302

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for your interest in drag...

I've always embraced my feminine side. Drag allowed me to better express it.

Additionally, it's been a bit of a vacation from myself at times.

For the record though, I haven't done it in awhile...

4. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So you guys do it as a break from yourselves for a while and just for entertainment?

5. coyote302

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This princess doesn't want to speak for the other queens, however, it tends to be a common theme with the ones I know. Also, the one thing that I ALWAYS envied women for was it being socially acceptable for them to always wear nail polish if they choose to. Though, I've hung up my heels, I at the very least still wear clear nail polish openly to this day... :icon_wink

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's a form of expression, entertainment. Not all queens are cis gay men, either: I know plenty of faux queens, as well as trans and non-binary who perform. It isn't limited to dressing up as women, either.

Drag playfully mocks a lot of gendered expressions and roles, so it's progressive, in that sense. I think as long as there's this line between what's acceptable/unacceptable for men and women, it's always going to have a place.

Perhaps as a female, it seems bizarre, since masculine-presentations are considered more commonplace in society? A lot of gay men have a certain "pull" towards fashion, design, and what have you, so there's that.

7. Young Blood

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well yes, I understand there are others that do it and that it's not limited to cis gay men, but they're all I ever see advertised when it comes to drag. I mean, Rupaul's Drag Race as an example.

I mean, I think it's great and they're all amazing. Drag queens and kings, the lot of them. And I know the stereotype for gay men and fashion lol. I just couldn't understand why it was that they chose to dress as women for that reason and why it was made out to be a performance thing...

8. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I don't completely get it either. If I were to do it, it would be for fun and laugh at myself silly. It's always the girls who are very keen on dressing me up.

9. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's just like any other acting part, I guess, but more personal. You create this hugely exaggerated character, usually of the opposite gender. I believe the word drag was actually from Shakespearean times (DRessed As Girl) because men used to play women all the time.

There's also bio-drag (or faux drag) in which the performer is the same gender as their character. (Female drag queens, male drag kings etc)

RuPaul's drag race tends to feature men, because the 'passing' part is part of the competition.

10. Ryu

Ryu

I dunno, only reason I can think of (from... Sorta experience) is that... Y'know, find it... Kinky... Or at least 'traps' kinky...... One of my darker secrets, but there ya go.

11. Abbra

My friends and I do it because it's kind of like getting into character. I like doing theater and stuff like that so I have no preference in gender as long as I like the persona I'm taking on. I'm actually a little better at writing male characters to tell you the truth. If you're into cosplay and performing, sometimes it's just fun to completely immerse yourself into something new. I have a gay friend who holds raves and he always dresses like a female. He even dressed as Princess Zelda for Halloween while I was Sonic the Hedgehog.

I think people choose opposite gender BECAUSE it's such a different experience.

12. Walking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    It's like when you see a feminine woman some people are just embracing their feminism and like when you see a 'sassy' man ....omg *Gerard Way*

13. AlamoCity

I find drag "interesting." It is not something I would ever do (ok, maybe if it raised a heck of a lot of money for charity, I would do it).

What I have found perplexing is trans people who do drag. I understand they were "never" the gender their sex is, but they were born with the physical attributes of that sex and I would imagine it would be incredibly "triggering" for trans folks.

14. Delta

I'm non-binary, and drag is one of the few times all kinds of people get really excited and happy about just really screwing with traditional gender roles. Who doesn't like a good bout of that? :slight_smile: