Is this a strange view on burials?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by DreamerBoy17, Feb 16, 2016.

1. Elli

I don't think your opinion is strange at all! I like that thought at least more than the usual funeral. It's so expensive and kinda weird that they want to "preserve" the corpse, I personally don't think I want to be buried at all tbh, like many here I'd prefer to be cremated.
    And I don't want my family to have to pay for an expensive funeral either, like as if my death wouldn't be bad enough they have to spend a whole lot of money on it too? Like what the heck :lol:

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I couldn't care less what will happen to my body after I die. None of my problem anymore. If my family feels like it they can dump my body to the bio waste bin or incinerate it or whatever. Though I certainly wouldn't object a Giant Pyramid either.

For the funeral, if there is going to be one, I have one wish. I want to be late from it. You know, everyone sitting in there wondering where is the body and then the delivery company rushes it in on the last minute. It would be a suitable tribute to me as I'm always late from everything. Being late from one's own funeral would be the crown jewel of that habit.

3. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't care for burials either. Now you can have a funeral without a burial of course. You can have a funeral for someone who's been cremated; I've been to one before. Personally, I don't want to take up space after I die, and call my superstitious, but there's something disturbing about being locked underground for all eternity.

4. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I dunno, I've always imagined with the advancement of technology that if I live to sixty, I'll be mostly electronic anyways, so I'm not concerned with it. My dad wants a viking funeral, sent out on a funeral boat and light the boat on fire. I guess if i don't make it that long, maybe cremated. IDK, I don't feel like worrying right now.

5. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In the Jewish tradition, everyone is supposed to be buried in a simple wooden box, regardless of their status when alive. The dead are to be buried as soon as possible, it is considered undignified to keep them above ground. The term "dust-to-dust" is taken seriously.

This is the way I would like to be buried, but with some variations, such as I would like to be buried next to a growing tree, such that in time, the tree would nourish itself from my remains, and its roots would occupy the space of my body, in time taking on its shape (this has happened before).

As for cremation, well, I have wondered if just before dying someone would ingest a whole bag of Orville Reddenbacher popcorn kernels...I can just imagine the kind of fun this would be!

6. Cedar

No, your opinion is very valid. For myself, I'd rather have my body donated to science. Whenever they return my ashes to my family, I'd like to be buried in one of those biodegradable containers with a tree seed in it so it can one day be a lovely big tree, it's preferable if they have a white cedar tree seed so said tree can be useful.

7. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That tree thing actually sounds really cool.

8. Gallium

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Interesting. I would like to donate as much as I can from my body. Someone may need the organs and continue with their lives. After that, I would want to be tossed into the ground and left there (No funeral, no ceremony, just a hole and my body).

9. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We are running out of cemetery space in the UK so the cost of burial is becoming prohibitive, even if you keep it simple. It's increasingly likely that old graves (over 100 years old) will be re-opened and any remains will be buried deeper so a new coffin can be interred. It's for this reason that I will opt for cremation or promession. Nobody is digging me back up!

10. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think funerals are more for the people left behind than for the person who died, after all, they're dead.

However, I'd prefer to be cremated, hopefully after anything left of value in my body has been harvested. I don't want anyone spending ridiculous amounts of money on a fancy box and a ceremony.

11. headsup1958

My wife died 16 months ago. Her wish was to be cremated with her ashes scattered in a lake in front of her childhood home in Vermont (USA). I honored her wishes. Now and in the future, whenever I see this lake I will think of her.

Her decision was not cost related even though it was less than 1/2 of a "traditional" funeral and burial. For her it was more of a spiritual non-religious thing, an environmental thing, too. (If that makes sense.)

To DreamerBoy17....you are wise beyond your years. Just saying....

12. scapaviella

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it weird that I'd like to just kind of... disappear? I have an organ donor card on me, so if I die suddenly that's what'll happen, but I'd like to reach old age and die all alone where no one can find me, somewhere pastoral or something.

Maybe that's really strange I dunno, but it feels kind of serene.

13. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'd like an open air cremation myself, but I'm unsure as to whether that's even a possibility. I don't like the delay between death and burial/cremation either. I just don't like the idea of being laid in a mortuary for weeks after death.

14. Lazuri

If I get to choose, I'd let them harvest all my acceptable organs and then give me a viking funeral. Basically, put me in a boat, let the current take me out, set the boat and me ablaze with a fire arrow and let the water claim me.

15. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Good one... You could claim for yourself the Pringle's advertisement When I make pop, there is no stop!

16. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Nick Cage has a giant pyramid tomb reserved in NOLA. I've seen it. It's pretty cool.

17. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Yeah, that makes sense. It's your own opinions and thoughts anyway. But yeah, I like the idea of it being natural and you just becoming a part of the Earth. I'm not sure if I'd want to be cremated or buried. I see the appeal of family members being able to see you one more time as you were before you get put in the ground. It's kind of like closure I guess. But I don't know. I think everyone should do what they believe is best for their body.