1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Arospectrum Awareness Week

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ali6132, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Kinky

Kinky Guest

:eusa_clap

---------- Post added 22nd Feb 2016 at 11:50 AM ----------

A lot of these new sexual orientations are based on feelings/emotions which is totally normal to any individual while growing up. I don't look at attractive guys on the street in a sexual way, I can imagine hugging/cuddle them. But I only want to have sex with my boyfriend. I'm totally gay :lol:

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Seriously, they should be able to celebrate this without bringing this scientific bullshit in, Chip. Who cares about science? Don't try and bring a person down because of some scientific evidence. FFS

3. Ryu

Ryu

I am gonna wreck my phillosophy teacher with this. No idea how, but I will.

4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, everyone should care about science. All progress in technology, psychology and psychiatry are solely due to adherence to the scientific method and inquiry. Spreading misinformation be it intentional or unintentional is harmful and this is why it should be called out.

5. Foz

Foz Guest

I don't know how I missed this thread, but just googling the term brings up endless tumblr pages - that tells you about all you need to know.

As for all those saying Chip's this that or the other. Yes, this is a support forum and we will help you, but sometimes that involves hearing things you don't want to.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The problem is, sexual orientations aren't solely based on feelings/emotions. We don't have (well... maybe we do, I haven't checked Tumblr this week) [/snark] angersexual or griefromantic or demijoy.

People can choose *any* label to describe themselves. There's nothign wrong with that. I have a friend named Blake who says he's Blakesexual. And that's perfectly OK.

But we can't legitimately refer to any of these unrecognized labels as "new sexual orientations', at least not if we're trying to have any sort of credibility, legitimacy, or grounding in anything measurable, until there's something on which to base them. Without that, the words really have no meaning, reproducibility, or context, other than that which some random group of people on some tiny website decides they mean. And that isn't a very good way to approach it.

Again... fine to use for an individual. Not ok to represent as a credible identity, because it doesn't meet the standard for that. Perhaps at some point it will (though I honestly doubt it), but we aren't there yet.

7. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why science is valid is a discussion for another time, but the scientific method is rigorous, and, therefore, it provides basis for the argument.

Everyone is free to believe whatever they want, but, here on EC, we need to share precise and accurate information whenever possible, and that's why scientific views are important here.

It is fine to manifest personal beliefs, however, we need to make it clear that these views aren't scientifically supported. If the reader decides to ignore this, that is his personal choice, but at least he knows that his views aren't proved by the scientific method.

8. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I think it is ok to discuss the lack of science behind the aro spectrum, but I think it is a little inappropriate to do it in a thread that is made to celebrate arospectrum awareness week because this is supposed to be lighthearted and supportive thread in my opinion... So I think it would be more appropriate to continue this discussion elsewhere.

#48 Loveislife, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  9. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Awarness of Arospectrum involved healthy discussions about it too IMHO. I don't see anything wrong going on here as members are being educated about both sides of the topic at hand which is fine (again IMHO)

10. Loveislife

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hmm true, but I think that this discussion makes it seem like people are unsupportive rather than supportive of the aro spectrum, and this discussion pretty much has taken over the whole thread and it wasn't intended for one.

11. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    I am supportive, it's just people wanted to make a big fuss out of it instead of being supportive.

12. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I completely agree with you on that. On that note, being supportive is not blind acceptance. Anyway, I think the discussion already comes to an end. Whatever needs to be said has been said by both sides.

13. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I agree. :slight_smile:

14. C P

C P

Just as being a complete ass for the sake of it has been called out. Then again, what is considered misinformation you can easily put out as subjective here anyways.

Not (completely) backed (as of yet) =/= misinformation necessarily.

It'd be more appropriate to add that this goes for -both- sides of the argument.

I think this is actually one of the better replies of the thread.

15. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The definition of misinformation is "information that is not correct". Claiming or implying something as a fact when it has not been (yet) established to be a fact is misinformation because it is not based on established facts. There is nothing subjective about this. If pointing this out makes me an ass then fine, I'm an ass.

16. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Why the hell did I even click on this thread? Let the people have their week in peace you arrogant bastards. They aren't harming you one bit.

And don't give me this bs that you disallow topics that aren't scientifically based. I see unscientific opinions from the staff on here all the time. This is a simple case of being an ass for no good reason.

#56 Browncoat, Feb 23, 2016
  17. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It seems that the debate in this thread is causing problems so why don't we all just stop arguing about this? It's really doing no good.

18. Sean12

Happy Arospectrum week people. I personally just think of sexuality in the 4 main food groups, Straight, Bisexual, Gay, Asexual. People just fit in each of these in varying amounts and labels are just what you tell people so they know whether you are interested in them or not in just one word. Thats just me though and I'm ok with all the -romantic orientations. It just seems needlessly complicated. Hope no one gets offended with that :slight_smile:

#58 Sean12, Feb 23, 2016
  19. C P

C P

Then you're free to show me some definitive proof that this is all mere delusion and complete misinformation.

You're also free to be an ass all day if you want; I'm simply acknowledging that just as you are 'calling out misinformation', certain people who have a history of being straight up jerks about this type of topic are being called out as well.

It really is ridiculously sad that the point behind this thread has been lost due to this.

There's nothing wrong with that either; you're fine. It just gets messy when you throw in asexuality, as you can still be that and one of those other three 'food groups'.

#59 C P, Feb 23, 2016
  20. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Straight, gay, and bi/pan are main courses and asexuality is an optional side dish. Maybe that's a better comparison?