1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with South Park !

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vega222, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate South Park. So I don't watch it.

2. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why? Because you think they're homophobic or what?

3. Ryu

Ryu

Yes, you are being overly sensitive, get a thicker skin.

4. Berru

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    How come you're so sensitive about it?
    I mean, what you might need to figure out in order to make those feelings go away is WHY you get so upset.
    Why it matters so much to you what others (inlcuding little cartoon characters) say, and why it hurts so bad.

And also, you might need to remember that bad words are going to be said in this world, it's no use getting upset at them. Sometimes people don't know any better, but they don't necessarily mean anything by it. Other times, people are just being ignorant/hateful/douchey, but you can't change their minds, so getting upset is no good.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The reason(s) isn't quite clear for myself too. But this thread was really helpful for me to find out what really happens to me(= Why this show is annoying for me) probably.
    I think i still have some internal-homophobic thoughts in myself. I still sometimes thinks that i'm inferior to straight men.

Also i think this post explains big part of this problem:

6. Abbra

I'm a huge South Park fan but I'll admit that there are too many people who take the messages WAY too seriously. I'm not talking about people who get offended. I'm talking about people who literally interpret the safe space episode as some grand gospel. It's a cartoon. In fact it's a cartoon that has changed it's stance on several issues since its been on air.

Everyone takes South Park so seriously. It can be a deep show. It can teach good things. It can say some outright terrible things. It can go over the line. At the end of the day though, it's a comedy show. It's main purpose isn't to preach. As much as it has a "I think I learned..." speech, it rarely treats it as a completely definitive statement. After they tell their beliefs it pretty much always ends on a punchline. Dark humor is something that needs to be respected just as much as anything else. I don't like jokes where the punchline is simply perverting something for children, but I can't say that humor like that doesn't have a place in society either.

7. Jellal

It's just meant to be irreverent humor that laughs at everything and everyone. It's like that kid in school who would say outrageous shit to get a rise out of people and would occasionally make good points, but never wanted to be taken too seriously

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The thing you need to remember about shows like South Park, or Family Guy, is that they poke fun at every group of people in existence. It's never malicious or intended to offend. They don't just poke fun at minority groups either - they mock white people and their perceived habits/stereotypes too. They mock men and women equally.

It's understandable that you might find some of it offensive, but that isn't the intention.

9. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Its homophobic, transphobic and sexist. Its absolute shit.

10. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm just not into offensive humor. I think it's guy humor. And I'm definitely a girl.