1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Problem with South Park !

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Vega222, Feb 15, 2016.

1. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi,

Unfortunately, I'm so sensitive toward some homophobic behaviors.
    I've seen some episodes of South Park, It is extremely good show but sometimes it really annoy me.
    If you have watched this show, surely you noticed much mocking words or such negative things about homosexuals. It is annoying for me. :icon_sad:
    I shared this feelings with my friend and he suggest me to watch the episode "The F Word(S13E12)". I watched it but still my problem is not solved.
    I know that creators of south park have no problem with homosexuals.
    Its not problem of south park or its creators, I don't blame them.
    I think i'm too sensitive about this things.

What is your opinion?
    Are you have any feelings same as me about this TV show?
    What shall i do?
    How can i just stop this feeling?

2. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    The show can't offend me. I find the show funny. If you don't like it, don't watch it.

3. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    South Park has probably gotten around to pissing off every group of people that exist. The strategy there is to just roll with the punches and try to find the humor they do.

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, or at least not the episode in question. There are plenty of shows I like with crummy episodes I'll skip.

5. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Maybe I just should skip some episodes?
    That seems good idea.

6. Nobo

That show offends everybody and didn't even try to hide it

7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, it's like right now I'm watching Star Trek Voyager, which is a great show. But there are some episodes I can't stand and will always skip over, like Real Life and The Fight, are good examples of episodes of that show I hate and will skip every time they come my way.

8. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They have quite a lot of pro-queer points scattered throughout the series, too.

Really the thing you have to keep in mind with South Park is that one of their main purposes in producing the show is to offend absolutely every group of people on the planet. Hell, whenever they get compliments about "how wonderful the message was in 'such and such' episode," they go out of their way to try and offend the group they got compliments from in future episodes.

Basically, your choices are: accept that they jab everyone and take the satire for what it is, or just don't bother and not watch the show.

9. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Think of Kenny in the fantasy arc where they act out a Game of Thrones-type universe. He plays a princess and dresses to the nines, including long, glorious locks of hair. Cartman, the infamously intolerant douchebag, doesn't even bat an eyelash at this. Gender expression acceptance?

#9 Argentwing, Feb 15, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  10. PurpleMushroom

I watched every episode in order recently for the first time, and I was expecting to get offended but I am like the biggest open minded person ever so nothing offended me at all!

It's just a show, doing what shows do. It's funny and entertaining. You can't have anything funny unless it is offensive towards someone in my eyes. I believe in freedom of speech, I believe that we should have the freedom to say absolutely anything we want... especially when it comes to comedy. Because once you start censoring comedy you start taking away whats funny.

South Park isn't for everyone, if you let one or two episodes offend you then you should stop watching the show because its not for you. Its unfair to say you don't like that one episode, because all of the other episodes are offensive too. At least to some one. Saying its not right to make jokes about gay men is like saying that gay men are better then everyone else and they deserve better treatment then, lets say the Jews... or the Mormons... or the Scientologists. Because they make fun of the Jews and the Mormons and the Scientologists and every other type of person out there.

I hope you understand what I am saying, if you cant make a joke about a gay man then you cant make a joke about anyone. I don't mean to upset you, just open your eyes to a bigger picture.

#10 PurpleMushroom, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  11. Nobo

"If you can't make a joke about a gay man you can't make a joke about anyone"

The funny part is they find an episode on this but with Mohammed and family guy

12. Hint

No no no, that was "Either everything is okay to write about or nothing is", which is a different concept.
    What she means is that no one 'group' of people should get preferential treatment in being less easily made fun of than any other.

13. AAASAS

You don't understand South Park, they are the furthest from homophobic, they talked about homosexual issues in the 1990's and have normalized gay people.

Mr.Garrison is a beloved character and he has been gay, and transgendered.

They preach the exact opposite of homophobia.

Also they are a current events show, they are produced within the week of release and are often submitted only a couple hours before airing time because they like to stay that up to date.

If gay issues are in the news, it will come up, it trans issues are in the news it will come up.

Watch the earlier seasons, there is an episode where Stan has a gay dog, and that was a pretty pro-gay episode and it aired in the 1990's.

Believe me, I've been watching this show since I was in Grade 3 and I'm 25, it is far from homophobic.

14. guitar

A few of the writers are gay - at least one of them is.

BTW, if South Park really does bother you, try Drawn Together. The humor is similar to South Park without the quasi-libertarian bent. My avatar is the gay character on the show, Xandir.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2016 at 01:10 AM ----------

I've been watching episodes since about grade 3 as well! I remember sneaking downstairs to watch episodes at like 1 am. A lot of the show was over my head but it had swearing so it was cool! :grin:

#14 guitar, Feb 16, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2016
  15. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for your answer.
    Its good that you believe in freedom of speech. Its very good that this show never upset you.
    But I'm afraid that you misunderstood me.

1. I didn't say anything that means "they shouldn't offend gays in the show". I never want to restrict freedom of others, there is some exceptions but south park isn't one of them surely.

2. I already confess that i'm too sensitive and I think "too" has quite clear meaning in my post. I said it's my problem.

3. You talked about religions and said it's ok to say offensive jokes about them then you extent this to "sexual orientation".

Sorry but i think it's a False analogy. Sexual orientation is something in me, its me, its almost unchangable, like color. Religion is not.
    I don't mean they shouldn't say offensive jokes about gays, I mean this is different from religion or such things.

4. When someone(including south park) says a offensive joke about my opinions or my country or almost whatever parts of me, I don't upset, I just laugh at it. I mean i'm not that kind of person that you probably think.

---------
    You have to consider that I said its my problem and its UNWANTED. I live in Iran and always must deal with strong homophobia and it can make me sensitive about such shows. Even if they're not really homophobic. I just wanted to throw out this WRONG feelings that upset me.
    and also my English is not enough good. I hope i can say my ideas clearly.

#15 Vega222, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  16. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say you have a problem. If you are sensitive only about gay related issues then it strongly suggests that it reflects your inner feelings about yourself.

Because you grew up in a such a homophobic country and live in such a homophobic environment it has deeply affected your subconscious. When someone uses homophobic slur around you they usually mean it. In the show they don't mean it but to you it is still a very strong reminder that for the most of the time you hear it the one who says it means it. Once you find acceptance within yourself this problem should go away.

17. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What do you mean dear? I'm not Muslim.

ps:
    I don't mean being Muslim is bad or such thing.

#17 Vega222, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  18. KnucklesNation

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Personally I don't care when South Park, Family Guy, etc. makes jokes like that because I know they're not to be taken seriously. Just be mindful that they're adventures of fictional characters with biased views typically established to create dialogue and conflict (and the casual joke here and there).

19. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have mixed feelings about that episode. I didn't feel personally offended by that episode, but I think there is a significant issue with it: It only considered immediate context and largely ignores the broader context of the usage of the word fag.

20. Vega222

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    But my friend suggested to me this episode as a pro-gay episode. He just wants to show me that south park is not homophobic.
    Of course, that episode isn't offensive or annoying for me too.

---------- Post added 18th Feb 2016 at 01:27 PM ----------

When i said some episodes are annoying i meant for example episode : S04E09-Do the Handicapped Go to Hell.
    This episode was annoying for me when Satan and Saddam talking mockingly about sex and love. They're gay in this episode.
    I felt this scenes very humiliating and annoying. :frowning2:

#20 Vega222, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016