1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Horror Fiction

Discussion in 'Fun and Games' started by DougTheBicycle, Feb 15, 2016.

1. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chilllll, Linus. Let him be goofy.

2. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Masterfully done sir! The repetition, the story, the conclusion, very well written. The format fits it very well. I don't really know what else to say about it. I'm sure there are things you don't like about it (as with all writers), so if you change something, I'm sure it would only improve it. But as is, I can see no glaring fault. Well done!

Well shit. I love it. Very creepy, and leaves you both wanting more, to know what this girl has done, and at the same time wanting to stay away and not know anything for the fear that she comes to you next. As a fan of flash-fic, I loved this.

One part in particular,

Jesus Christ, that got me. Perfect. Don't address it, don't even mention it again. Just enough to let you know that shit has gone down.

One comment, the description at the end, when she picks up the "toilet hose." I have no idea what that is. And it almost sounds like she's rinsing the blood along the floor and into a bathtub? Which was a little confusing to me. If the tub is set in the floor, perfect. Maybe it's a bath-house, I don't know. Other than that little bit, though, don't change a word.

Beautiful. Simply beautiful.

3. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well. 1 AM in a silent house is apparently the wrong time and place to read horror stories.

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Or the best time. If you stay up a little longer, We'm going to post more work stories.

5. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Obviously, I don't intend to sleep anytime soon. I'll keep checking.

6. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    We'm trying to write, but everything is shit.

7. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been waiting for 2 and a half hours. It'll be 4 A.M. soon and I'm almost asleep anyway. I don't care how shitty your writing is, I request something to read.

8. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So this is super shitty, and I apologize. We actually need sleep.

Did you ever have one of those moments where you’re over tired, and you start hearing and seeing things? You know, you’re home alone, laying in bed. You’ve stayed up all night because your parents are out, and when you’re finally tired to the point where you just can’t keep your eyes open, you lay in bed, wide awake. On your back, staring at the ceiling, the darkness almost seems…alive. Moving. If you stare hard enough, you can almost see them crawling on the walls.

Well let me tell you, working third shift does nothing to improve this. Especially if you work third shift full time. Especially if you work third shift full time and have another job, and only manage about three hours of sleep a day.

I was on patrol just a little while ago. Man, going through these old, creepy buildings at night used to scare us so bad. Full of corners, and shadows, and old pipes whispering in the walls. How could one NOT be scared? But, if you do a thing long enough, it becomes second nature. This hold true for the scarier things in life as well. Which is why the creeping shadows don’t bother me. Or the little bumps, or scratching of wires and whisper of pipes. Of Them. We’ve gotten so used to Them, it’s just like the squirrels that run around campus.

Anyway, not scared anymore. So, on patrol, when the shadows decided to start moving again, and the whispers in the walls became conversation level talking, I managed to ignore it. Whatever, just tired. No big deal.

When the shadows started following me, I chalked it up to sleep deprivation. That is, until I got to nursing and they started saying my name.

“Doug….Doug……………Doooouuuuuuugggg……..”

Whatever, just hearing things. Nothing unusual, really. Since that thing in the Chapel, we’ve been hearing things on and off. That doubled with the sleep deprivation must just be the perfect cocktail of fucked up.

So, I do my initial patrol, and then go back to the security office to watch cameras. We have an old system, closed circuit, retro digital. Not high quality stuff. So, when the cams started clicking off one by one, I wasn’t too surprised.

Patrol number two.

Going through the buildings. The shadows were waiting for us this time. As soon as we entered, they stepped up behind, talking to us, telling us things. It didn’t take long for them to start pushing us. Knocking us down.

Just tired. Just seeing things, tripping.

Back in the office. We can hear them. Banging on the doors. They broke the window a little bit ago. They’re screaming now, saying horrible things. The door is almost breaking down. There was a student that came to see what was going on, but he’s dead now.

Just tired. Need to sleep.

Then it all stopped. The window was still broken, but it had always been like that, right? They’re back to whispering. Hiding in the CPU. It’s dark in here with the computer and lights turned off. If I stare at the wall, it almost looks like there are things crawling there.

9. larkcarmen

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's 4 in the morning, I rarely stay up this late- um, early? Late? I dun even know. I kinda just skimmed over that because I really need sleep. Good night/morning/whatever.

10. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's bad and I feel bad that you stayed up for it. I, too, am quite tired.

11. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (Cuz I'm an idiot who dosen't know how to do multi-quote posts :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

Linus: Thanks for the...review? Dk. The reason why it has no plot is cuz it's a flash fiction: I just presented that select scene in a certain timing to portray. It's made to be very specific, yet at the same time vague, as you said- a blurry picture. The entire thing is half-baked to let your imagination run wild. And I would consider a revision of Out of sight, out of mind, but I sincerely doubt that I would make a scene prior to the one I wrote? As I feel that it has all the description you need to paint a certain picture. I will try to make the picture clearer, however.

Also, about the more character emotions- it's supposed to be a dead piece. It's on purpose XD Since it has no person's POV, and just a general overlooking of the piece. Thanks for your comments though!

Abbra: As short as it was, I do love your story to bits! The dull repetition only makes the ending seem even more off-whack then it normally would be. How your character gets through everything with coffee, and with each opening, the wife at his side, until one day she gets and affair. It's not exactly horror-it's more of the fucked-up-character type story, but it does fit under the umbrella of horror.

Especially how there's always a mentioning of the man believing that the wife loves him, and how he clings on to that idea, making him seem somewhat...unhinged. Especially because of the caffeine. Once more, amazing story, and please keep posting more! I'd love to see more from you.

Doug: Good to know that the leg part caught someone's attention. I was afraid it was too casual and people will just skim over it- that part, I find, really ties the story together. As for the bath: it's actually a bathroom, where the bath, toilet and sink are in one room. I based it after the one here. A small rectangular room, with the bath 1/4 by 1/4 of the room, toilet and sink next to it. The hose is actually the toilet hose by the toilet, which she uses to rinse the blood into the bath- an area separated by a frosted glass wall and door. (Forgot to mention it was frosted, therefore the title)

That, and I'll get to reading your story soon...

Love it. It's not exactly spine-tingling horror, but more of the eyebrow raising, wtf's going on? horror. One that needs MOAR.

The darkness, the shadows, chalking everything up to sleep deprivation. How they're nothing more then a zombie going through muscle memory. The stray student was quite a good touch, too. How in the end, they just give up, and fall back into the sleepless haze of their life. Another great piece!

12. 101DeadRoses

Question; My story is more shocking, rough and unnerving than really scary (to me, at least).

Would it still be welcomed here? Or would you rather I post something else?

#32 101DeadRoses, Feb 23, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heya! Post your story! As long as it dosen't fall under abuse or abuse any of the rules on the first post, go ahead and post it! I'm interested in reading it :grin:

14. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I also found this amongst my piles of previous writing. I think I also turned it in for my writing workshop binder, but it was more just extra because I wanted to. If any of you read Hectic, I hope you'll like this. Yes, there is more to that madness. :3

(Note: Hectic different POV— This is Extra)
    Passing

In the beginning, there was just the clock, and the boy. The hands kept ascending, descending. The boy’s heart kept beating. The two were in perfect sync. They were brothers by bloodshed, partners, in the sickening dance led around the empty house. Floors creaking, windows breaking, doorways splintering in their path. They would go out. They would fly into the night, like toxic ash, being blown by the wind. Free.

Not quite. The clock would lure him back, pressing him into his bed, lulling the boy to sleep with the incessant ticking. It was like laughter, mockery. Because of this, he did not sleep. The consistent voice would always be there, reminding him. Reminding him of the past. showing what the future might be like. Brutally displaying the present situation. He would cry. pathetic. No time. For time would not let him retrace his steps. Ever. Yet, even if he had been able to, there was not much he could do. He hadn’t taken a single step in years.

When others settled in the area, they always thought the boy to be strange. They were always wary, concerned… Though many feared the strange man who lived at the furthermost edge of town… Alone. He was always a boy though. A child trapped in a growing body. All because of time.

“Poor child.”

“Mysterious child.”

“Dangerous child.”

As far as they knew, he had no name, only a reputation. A thick shadow hanging over him, like a storm. A storm of chaos. The tide was rising.

Chaos came, as it must. It washed over the town like a wave. A thick, glutinous mass of heavy hearted satisfaction. All was drown in red, plagued, by the anger that seeps into one’s heart, sucking their life away in one stab of a knife. In the end, he was the last to be standing, atop the smoldering ash mountain of cremated souls. Alone.

The boy did not want to be alone. He was very much afraid of being alone. Even the clock could not silence the empty screams of company’s absence. The clock had shattered long ago. If only time would stop ticking.

An hour, a day, a year. It all seemed to go by so fast. He stayed rooted to the spot, simply waiting, for whatever must come next. Perhaps he wasn’t what everyone saw him as, and perhaps he was. Perhaps the landscapes seemed to wither, with the passing years, but none could tell for certain. There would always be change. That was one thing that was consistent. The one thing that he could know for certain. That fact satisfied him, for it was the one thing that would, momentarily, stop time from passing him by.

15. 101DeadRoses

Pretty awesome story! I'd like to read the original.

Can't really find any problems with this.

16. Adam Smith

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    She couldn't have been more than eight...why did he do it? Why did I let him! SHE WAS A LITTLE GIRL!

What was I doing...my job, of course, but I could have switched contracts. I could have been in the right place, at the right time but I was at the wrong place, at the wrong time.

I bet he's off someplace doing...it...again. That most dastardly act, that most heinous crime, illegal before the Laws of Man. That horrible man, nay! That horrid abomination that sacrificed his...its, humanity is free! AN OUTRAGE!

Brute beasts and sapient beings know better, why then, does this thing not? Couldn't he at least killed her? Before or after, but before would at least imply the remnants empathy, of humanity.

I know I will see him again, but NOT SOON ENOUGH! Why? Why can't I decide the things?

I know why; because I'm not Justice and I'm not Fate.

At least I could be the last to carry her, out of that dark place, where she was so cold and scared. Cold and scared, unlike how she was when I first saw her and her mother...

Wrote this ad lib, on the fly. What do you guys think?

---------- Post added 23rd Feb 2016 at 10:02 PM ----------

Messed up a word. Its good now.

17. 101DeadRoses

This story was actually written as a sneak peek for a book I am currently planning. The names are changed, but little else is.

Anyway....

*Language Warning*

Brandon slowly clambered out of bed, left elbow aching slightly, as it always did in the mornings.
    He carefully maneuvered his long, muscular legs out out the bed, and set his feet down onto the carpet, being careful not to wake his new boyfriend, still sleeping on the other side of the bed. He didn't really care, per se, whether the boyfriend was asleep, awake or dead, but the boy would complain if Brandon hopped out of bed the way he did when he was alone, and Brandon hated that man's incessant whining.
    Brandon's burn phone, on the nightstand, started buzzing the moment he stepped foot into the bathroom, adjacent to the bed, and he cursed mentally, ambling over, in no great rush.
    He knew who it was after all this time.
    It was The Boss, represented by no more than his phone number, also a burn phone, and Brandon could tell from the first three words on the screen, glowing up ferociously, that today was going to be like any other, if only more stressful.
    "Tim needs you.
    9:30, our place."
    Brandon sighed. He fucking hated Tim. Spoiled brat thought too much of himself, even as The Boss's son. He knew too much too. Brandon yearned for the day when he would - and he knew he WOULD - get the call that Tim had been caught by the you-know-whats and was being subjected to a little Q & A. Brandon would be sent in to clean up the mess, eradicate the threat and finally put a bullet in the little shit’s head.
    Brandon shuffled back into the bathroom, snapped the phone in half and removed the memory card as well. With a sigh, he stepped up into the shower and turned it on, full cold, no heat at all.
    It froze him. Armored him. Woke him up. Made him feel like the monster he was. Like nothing would ever be cold enough, clean enough for him. It had a similar effect to those motivational tapes some of the pansies lower down the food chain insisted on listening to, only he didn't feel like a "strong, confident young man."
    He felt like what he was…
    When he had scrubbed himself sufficiently raw in the shower, he dried himself, dressed, and clicked in his smart shoes into the kitchen.
    "Work, Brandon?" His boyfriend asked, as if he couldn't tell from Brandon's "Boss" suit: A charcoal and grey, sharply pressed outfit that made his skin go white and his black hair and eyes go even blacker.
    "Of course. Freakin' Tim needs me."
    "Ah." The boyfriend sipped at his tea and pushed Brandon's cup across the counter.
    When the boyfriend finished his cup, he set it down on the counter. Brandon stepped around to the cabinets behind the man and reached up for a box of cardboard-tasting protein bars, then turned to look at the boyfriend's back while he munched.
    "Tim's a bastard. He's a liar, too," The boyfriend began, swirling the tea leaves around the bottom of his cup and focusing completely on the grainy mixture at the bottom. Byron soundlessly undid his tie and began to wind it between his hands.
    "Having to work for him... I feel so awful for you."
    "You shouldn't," Brandon stated calmly, looping the tie around the boy's neck and pulling it tight.
    It was always this way.
    Brandon would do his job, he'd make a mess, then he'd clean it up and leave maybe a speck of blood behind. The feds would get involved and they'd send someone undercover to lure him out, trying to fuck information out of him.
    Brandon let them get comfortable, maybe let them have a week, then he'd kill them. Kill them, burn the bodies, and move to some other little hovel of a safehouse somewhere in the city. It was always the same.
    Brandon was just glad his real boyfriend didn't know.
    He could only imagine the whining.
    Brandon couldn't stand whining.

Whatcha think? :slight_smile:

#37 101DeadRoses, Feb 23, 2016
  18. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    The original I posted earlier in this thread btw.

19. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Really good; I can't wait to find out more! I don't know if this fits in the horror category, but it sure doesn't seem lighthearted! Very mysterious... It really works for a novel though. I hope you can post more; I love the plot. :slight_smile:

#39 Linus, Feb 23, 2016
  20. 101DeadRoses

Thank you. :slight_smile:

I don't know about posting more of the actual story, but I do character development exercises. I might post some of those.

^_^

---------- Post added 26th Feb 2016 at 11:03 PM ----------

Oh crap, I forgot about reading that...

Curse you, short-term-memory!

Anyway... Hectic is a damn good story.

Love both of them.