1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can We Have a Debating Sub Forum?

Discussion in 'Empty Closets Help and Feedback' started by Foz, Feb 11, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Foz

Foz Guest

Debating is a natural and healthy part of life, yet many topic are repeatedly deleted or locked, I get the whole 'welcoming environment' approach of EC and the purpose it serves. However, any opposing views on subjects such as religion, feminism, non-binary and Tumblr originated labels are repeatedly shut down - even when presented systematically and factually. There are many smart members here and it only serves as an insult to intelligence that we often just accept one narrative because it's 'nice', nothing is settled and definitive so it's only natural that I think we should be able to discuss these matters.

2. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that might be a good idea. I usually don't get too involved in debates, but I do like reading them and seeing others' viewpoints so long as all involved are respectful.

3. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    I like that idea. I would participate more on this forum if it allowed us to debate. Without it, the forum is really bland tbh and forums thrive on debates, so the suppression of it (something I was a victim of recently) only thwarts activity on this forum.

Recently, the censorship has gotten more extreme, and this forum has gone downhill since the time I was a regular in 2013, so it would be cool if there was a safe section on this forum that allowed some freedom of speech.

4. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No.

Some views are just homophobic or transphobic and if anybody doesnt like that hateful comments are being deleted then there are plenty of other forums who would love to hear uneducated ideas on issues which they know nothing about.

#4 Robert, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  5. JackIsANerd

I wouldn't mind this at all I love reading other peoples opinion of things!

6. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is not something that we are likely to consider at any point in the foreseeable future. There are plenty of other places for this sort of discussion that are not support forums that would be more appropriate for this type of forum in which someone who is interested could join. EC's primary focus is support, so this subforum may potentially compromise our main purpose and goals of supporting LGBTQ people.

7. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

I support it. It's worth noting that the focus of the place wouldnt have anything to do with encouraging homo/transphobic trolls and other garbage but it could encourage fair discussion from both sides of topics that might be considered as controversial for the general discussion or support forums. You end up with less clutter spread across the site that way, and it could be helpful in maintaining the supportive atmosphere we're going for by keeping most of the sensitive topics contained to a specific place. Perhaps it would make the process of moderating them easier as well.

8. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I disagree, let debate it out.
    Did I create a paradox?

9. Kinky

Kinky Guest

Serious opinion time, I neither support nor against the existence of such subforum. However, I find two reasons about why this is bad idea unconvincing.

Firstly, debates will naturally draw out unpopular opinions and some views will be deemed 'transphobic' and 'homophobic'. But, that is very subjective. I don't believe saying 'I don't think homosexuals should get married' or 'Why I think trans should use bathroom according their sex assigned at birth' offensive if it's presented in a polite manner. We can tell them why that's wrong instead of yelling 'homophobes! Transphobes! Phobes! Phobes' as if we're on a witch hunt. I assume that in a new subforum, we will have policies against openly hateful statements such as 'You will go to hell!" without silencing what is just an unpopular viewpoint.

Secondly, EC's purpose is a support forum is not a good reason. You can't claim that. We already have subforums for Chit Chat, Games, Technology, and dear lord, that News Section which is already very political! What's so supportive about wishing for the death of Trump every day? Therefore, I don't see how adding another space for debates will deviate the forum for its original purpose.

Also, debates might arguably help with EC's goals of being supportive for LGBT people. You can agree with me that helping people find themselves is supportive, right? Debates show different opinions and people can decide what viewpoints they agree with. Controversy topics are usually because of conflicts of values. This will help people find or shape their own values.

So for me, it's less a matter of is this good or bad, but more about how can we implement it.

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Supports the idea unconditionally...
    Ok, one single condition : A huge warning 'ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK'.

11. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Folks, it's not going to happen.

You can support mandatory $100k/year payments to every American citizen, but that isn't going to happen either. This is just about as likely.

12. Foz

Foz Guest

This is why I suggest it to be a subforum, it could even by full members only. But there is untold harm done by only allowing the portrayal of one side, by suppressing one side you inadvertently set the precedent that EC supports that as no challenging views. Also a support forum needs to do more than state that's simply what it is, it needs to have a sufficient amount of members who can offer support, I stick about here mostly for the banter and when I see a person I can help I do, so there fundamentally needs to be an attraction to stay. I we were solely a support forum we wouldn't have news topics, games etc. and debating is no different to that. If you do get genuinely upset by seeing people disagreeing you then you simply keep out of the debate forum, it's just one part of a site you have to choose to engage with.

I am dismayed that the decision is taken to allow dubious narratives to go unchallenged on the assumption that people will no longer engage with the site if they themselves are challenged. You can see from the responses here that 87% of respondents think this would be a healthy attribute to the community, surely this demonstrates that you are much more likely to have people no longer engaging with the site due to them being censored rather than someone simply disagreeing with them. As I stated earlier, the key to a support community is members, those members engaging with those seeking support. The vast majority of members would respect not letting debate spill over into the general forum, if you provide a place where it can be done then it reduces the workload on the staff moderating posts.

I would urge the staff to collectively consider this in the near future and take further submissions from members and base the decision upon the points taken from that.

#12 Foz, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  13. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Um, what part of "No" do you not get?

14. Foz

Foz Guest

So even given the evident demand you will not even consider your position may not be of any benefit to the aims of EC and indeed may even be doing the inverse?

15. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Correct. The issue is not open for discussion. While we do not share your view on the alleged importance or impact on EC's mission, the staff is united on that point.

16. Foz

Foz Guest

All I'm asking is you take heed in what I say. I've seen what the PC and censoring approach does, I joined a forum when I was 14, it had 24,000 members, 450 of whom engaging with the site everyday. The two owners fell out over deleting posts and one left, no debate was allowed as not to offend people, I stopped being a mod there when I was 20, this is that site today.

[​IMG]

You are never to big to fail, I don't want to see EC fail because it does such a tremendous amount of good. But you cannot rely on exponential growth to keep you afloat, you absolutely have to consider other ideas and you can never ever be rigid in your approach. Not even discussing the pros among staff at some point in the future poses a tremendous danger in the long run. With all sincerity I urge you to openly consider all the points raised here.

17. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good lord, that would devolve into an ugly shouting match so fast. I'm glad that's not going to happen. If you want to join a forum to debate politics and the like, I can give you a few suggestions.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.