1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

California Gun Owner

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Gabby29, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    So after a few experiences of shooting with friends I decided to get my firearms safety certificate and bought an AR15. It's really fun and a new take on life (at least the fun of it). My family doesn't seem too fond of me owning a gun and most of my other friends wonder and ask about it. I knew California was uptight with guns, but damn it's more crazy than I thought. Anyone else own a firearm, or at least admire the idea of sportsman shooting? Or your personal idea of guns period?

2. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love guns, the thrill of shooting at the shooting range is exhilarating.

3. AlamoCity

I see guns more as instruments, tools. Some people fetishize them too much. While I presently don't own any firearms, I am considering in the future purchasing a few, mainly for hunting. I am probably going to start out with a versatile 12ga. shotgun and .30-06 rifle.

My personal idea of guns is that they should be used for hunting and self-defense.

4. Distant Echo

I have used guns, rifles and shotguns, for pest control, on a farm. I would never want to own one, nor ever consider using one for self defence.
    But I live in Australia where gun ownership is tightly controlled and we don't have one (or twenty) in every home.

5. headsup1958

I'm originally from Vermont where there are many sportsmen using firearms. I have a brother who owns many rifles and pistols. He's a deer hunter, target shooter, and uses them for self protection.

I have learned not to debate gun control with him as he is vociferous about Americans' rights to bear arms and totally against any form of gun control. My position is: I have no problem with using guns in sports, ie. hunting and target shooting, and in defending one's life and home. I, myself do not currently own a firearm but I will be buying a pistol in the near future for target shooting.

My issue is WTF does anyone need a machinegun or other rapid fire automatic or semi-automatic rifle/pistol that can be used for mass murder or other destructive behavior? And what's wrong with keeping firearms away from mentally unstable people, requiring background checks, closing gun show loopholes, etc. There needs to be a balance.

The Second Amendment guarantees Americans the right to bear arms, but I think it's been perverted to such an extent that it is way out of control. Now, I was in the US Army awhile back and I swore to defend the Constitution. I will continue to do so and as long as the Second Amendment is in force I will continue to defend your right to bear arms.

6. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I love guns too! They're fun to shoot and I will definetly own one when I'm older.

7. Gabby29

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Agreed 100%
    However full auto's are illegal in California, as well as 20-30 round magazines, concealed carry, and the weapon can't ever be loaded when put away. But as far as AR's I wouldn't see an issue AR's I must say are beautiful and the endless (but legal) customs you can do. Full auto's however I understand as far as personal ownership and yes there must be a balance so as long as there is fair regulation I wouldn't see an issue with someone with good experience owning a full auto weapon.

8. Cinis

Cinis Guest

As someone raised in a country where the rules for possessing guns are very strict (seriously you will lose your license for drunk driving or even driving too fast too often) i find the idea of people getting them so easy that almost everyone can get one kinda scary.

On the other hand shooting as a sport can be fun...

#8 Cinis, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 11, 2016
  9. guitar

If you think the laws are heavily skewed in California against gun owners, come to Ontario! Our gun laws are incredibly strict in Canada. I served as a reference for my best friend to get his gun, which I was happy to do. He's incredibly safe and competent with gun ownership and is exactly the type of person you want to own a gun. He takes owning a dangerous tool very seriously.

Despite all of the hoops, tests, intense background check, etc. he loves it. He's an avid shooter and has become quite the marksman.

10. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have absolutely zero interest in guns. There is really no cell in my body that desires to hold one and fire one or let alone kill something with one. I care more about soccer than I care about guns--and I don't care about soccer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

#10 Libertino, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  11. I plan to own a handgun for self-defense in the foreseeable future, and I do think about getting Concealed Carry, since California is becoming far more lax with handing out these permits.

Tbh, I've become far more comfortable with guns since last year, and I think California should become a shall-issue state. I feel like gun control hurts poor law-abiding citizens that live in crime-ridden neighborhoods the most. The costs of the training course, psychological evaluations, testing fees, and fees for the concealed carry permit is tremendously expensive for poor Californians.

12. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Guns scare me, even if they're on the hands of someone I know I can trust.

But despite that, I do plan on buying my own gun for self defense when I'm older and live independently. It would, of course, be in a hidden place that would be easy for me to access in case of emergency. American culture loves guns way too much. I don't live in California, but I live in an area with pretty strict gun laws.

#12 Skaros, Feb 11, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  13. headsup1958

*** Anyone else own a firearm, or at least admire the idea of sportsman shooting?***

Hey Gabby29. I had mentioned up above that I was planning on picking up a pistol soon. Well I did....a Beretta 92SF 9mm, the same pistol the US Armed Forces uses. Got it at a local indoor firing range after the three day mandatory waiting period. It's awesome! Tho some here may not like the idea, I am getting a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit) pretty soon. I certainly don't see myself as a cowboy, per se, but it's my right and I will do it....probably within the month.

14. TheMopPetal2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm in Florida and bought my first 2 years ago when I was 22. I grew up around guns so I'm pretty desensitized. I see guns not only as protection against a physically hostile person(i.e. the Orlando attack) or as a means to hunt for food but also as a means of protection against a hostile tyrannical government which is what the 2A was originally intended for.

15. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went through a phase where I was really into guns. Now I'm kind, meh on them. Shooting them at the range is pretty fun. I think it's okay for people to own them if that's what they want. As for me, I don't really know if that's what I want.

16. Glowing Eyes

This except that for me soccer would be baseball.

17. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    guns are awesome...i had a 12 gage but it got stolen (then again it was stolen before i got it so...) and i plan on owning a bunch more once i get my own home and im settled in..i love shooting for sport and i think people are just too nervous now a days and i dont blame them but bad people will find ways to hurt or kill people if thats what they really desire and not only that, i would not feel safe with the government trying to ban our only means to protect ourselves that would be ridiculous and i would definitly fight against it and if push came to shove i would still own guns illegally and not give a fuk cuz fuk that its our right...

18. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey sweetie :3 I just have a pistol (Smith and Wesson M&P Shield 9mm). I don't practice as much as I should, but I am really considering changing that this summer. I'd love to try rifle sometime.

I grew up in Montana, and I was raised by an anti-gun family, quite contrary to the rest of the state. Shooting is a physical skill I never developed, but I wish I had. Accuracy sports are very interesting.

I bash back. Peace is a lie.

#18 Pret Allez, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016
  19. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You should join pink pistols!

20. Psaurus918

I think people should be allowed to own guns for hunting, target shooting and home protection but I do NOT trust people enough to carry them in public. Also I think it's way too easy for people to buy guns in some states. In my opinion NY has good gun laws.