1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fairy Tail - Advice needed on something!

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by Invidia, Feb 11, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Yo. I was wondering about something about Fairy Tail (the anime). I've been watching like 14 episodes now and one thing really annoys me - the character development is really not any good in my books. I mean, compared to for example Naruto, the characters in Fairy Tail, at least so far as I've watched, are like two-dimensional origami stickmen with some flashy magic.

So my question is; does it get better? (No spoilers, please!) Do you think it's a good anime that's worth watching, and why in that case?

Thanks a lot if you leave a reply :3 xx

2. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't watch the anime, but I read the manga, and in terms of characterization... No, it doesn't get better. The manga is currently going through probably the last story arc, and the main characters are just as cookie-cutter and 2-dimensional as they were at the beginning of it (with only a couple of exceptions). Fairy Tail is just not the kind of series you follow for the depth of the story or the nuance in the characterization, because there is none to be found.

3. mychemromance99

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ummm no.
    It does not get any better.
    Not at all.

4. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hmm, damn. I kind of want to stop watching it, lol. I'm not one to be susceptible to flashy moves alone. Though it is kind of funny sometimes. Still though. Hmm. I wonder how it's so popular.

5. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Isnt fairy tail one of those shonen with like a thousand episodes? The chatacter development is gonna take some time.

6. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've watched 100+ episodes of Naruto and 40 - 50 episodes of Fairy Tail. I think they're both pretty bad, if you're seeking artistic merit. However, I enjoyed both of them. I probably won't watch them anymore though.

I can lose interest if there isn't enough flashy action or children's card games. I tend to become nearly obsessed with a anime and then I don't really care about it after a while. I'm definitely impressed by anime I still remember quite well after a year!

If you aren't having enough fun after 14 episodes (I think that's more than patient enough), then it's best to drop FT and try another anime. Life's too short!

7. Jellal

I'm currently caught up with all of Fairy Tail, and no, the character development does not get better. It's kind of sad how much the fanbase will screech to defend this series for character development when it's literally, like you said, near the bottom of the barrel in that department. Example: "oh my gawd, Laxus cares so much about the guild now!1!" Yeah... just like every other character. So he lost the one thing that made him unique and more interesting to watch.

I just watch/read it for fights and some of the humor. I also like the art style.

8. RawringSnake

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yup. The action and the art-style are the reasons to stay. He may suck at characterization, plotting, and humor (in my opinion), but boy does that mangaka knows how to draw. What's even more amazing is going back to see how Fairy Tail started, and how much the art-style has progressed since. He is definitely a very skilled artist, and when he applies himself to other things besides gratuitous nudity, even better.

Incidentally, this is also the reason why I don't watch the anime. If you take the mangaka's art out of the picture, there is very little reason to stick around.

#8 RawringSnake, Feb 14, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2016
  9. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Not really IMO. They're pretty much the same throughout the entire series and the ending of season 1 sucks butt. I watched the rest of the anime and it was alright. Not the best anime I've ever watched though. I won't spoil it for you but I had high hopes for the ending. When I finally finished it I was truly disappointed. That's the thing with short lived animes and Korean dramas. They tend to brush through all of the details and try to tie up any loose ends before the last episode. It only bothers me because it seems like they end up throwing in random scenes and characters that don't really fit in with everything else. I'm really trying hard not to spoil it for you but I guess you'll see what I mean once you're done watching it..... :confused::confused::confused:

#9 state-champs, Feb 18, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2016