1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

And he went to his grave a virgin...

Discussion in 'LGBT Later in Life' started by BMC77, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have made this recommendation several times and whether or not you want to regard it is up to you. Take small steps! Branch out into "safer" things, whatever those might be to you, and then take larger steps. These don't even have to do with sex and sex drive. They are all about experiencing life and finding the little things that make us happy.

Also, continue to search for therapeutic services, since you mention your depression and mood issues often in the posts you author. Remember, "where there's a will, there's a way." I know that your health plan has some limits, but keep looking. Therapy is not at all easy but, with competent therapists, it can be good for people who need it.

2. Miko

Being a Virgin Isn't a bad thing. but there will always been someone there for you

3. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think there is a lot to be said for small steps. Although, what discourages me is how the small steps to date haven't lead anywhere. I force myself--a strong introvert--to go to events where I might meet people. (One step.) Possibly force myself to talk to people at said event. (Small step.) And then leave, feeling drained, and having really having accomplished nothing.

I guess I need to find some new small steps to try, someplace. And, oh, yes, they not only need to be new, but also cost $0! :bang:

I am. And yes, there are limits on the plan. Apparently good therapists don't like working with low income people plans. Also someone in a therapy field whom I know warned me that my area has issues with finding good therapists vs. Seattle. I did find one possible lead last night I'll look into. Maybe it'll pan out.

4. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Clarification: by "to date" I mean "up to this time", not "date" in the sense of "go out with a guy to dinner and a movie."

5. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just finished "Liking" all those :***: "What a wonderful Valentine's Day my [significant other] and I had!!!!" posts on Facebook.

I don't need such posts. Not now. Not while I'm feeling so low... Unfortunately, Valentine's Day doesn't get scheduled for my convenience.

6. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't seem like you accomplished nothing, though.

As a fellow introvert, I know that at first, just putting a foot out the door IS the major accomplishment. You went to an event, and you talked to people. That is not something anyone should belittle, least of all yourself!

And sometimes the thing about steps is that they need to be repeated a couple of times to yield success. Yes, the general progression for "meeting friends" is kind of like this:
    1) Find out where like minded people hang out
    2) Go to these places or events
    3) Talk to people
    4) Make friends!

But the thing is... you can't just to them in one fell swoop. Between each of these steps is a bit of an unspoken "Congratulate on getting this far and repeat a few times until you are used to this step!"

Kind of like how "getting fit" is a progression of going to the gym and getting fit, but no one is fit after their first trip to the gym. In fact, most people are rather sore and exhausted. That's not a sign that the gym doesn't work for them. Just that they're exercising muscles they haven't before.

So... think of the most successful outing you've been on yet. One where you enjoyed at least the atmosphere and the people seemed friendly. Maybe it's time to patronse that one a couple times more. Just with the goal of "getting used to it". It might feel like a step on the place, but in this case, a step on the place IS a step ahead!

7. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You are probably right, Filip. As much as I hate to think it--there is something about wanting instant gratification.

Although...I do feel like after 3 years of this, I should have something to show for it. :tears: Maybe not any great friends, but it would be nice to just have someone to do stuff with. :tears:

---------- Post added 15th Feb 2016 at 11:14 AM ----------

This raises one "fun" issue. The best bet was a place locally that had a lot of community building events. Unfortunately, the person behind them left the position he was in. No telling what will happen. I am not expecting that place will have many suitable events. The person who left is hoping to be able to continue doing stuff, but what happens there remains to be seen.

So...while waiting to see what happens there, I'm trying to find new options... I keep drawing a blank, no matter how many times I scour the Internet. :bang:

Other options have their own issues. I gave up a on a book group (after a 1+ years, it was clear I wan't making any friends. Plus it was a huge time committment, and I disliked most of the books selected for last year). But I stay on the mailing list, and if the March book is acceptable, might try that again. Then, there are churches--something often recommended--except, again, too long spells at the nearest acceptably liberal church did nothing. I'll probably continue selected events, etc there, but I'm not holding my breath.

I wish I could afford to move someplace where there were better options. :tears:

8. Filip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well... for what it's worth, it took me a couple of years before I had something to show for it.

I mean, I had some friends from before, which stuck around. So that was good. But for the first two years of being out I didn't have a single date or a single close new friend. Just many people I was on a somewhat friendly footing with.

And then I did meet a guy I got close with and eventually ended up dating, but that took me about another year. And from there we still ended up waiting a year before sex was on the table. And two more years before we actually appeared in public as boyfriends.

So all in all, from coming out to actually feeling like "having something to show for it" was quite a time investment. Which was occasionally frustrating. But in retrospect it also feels like it flew by. And looking back, I DO think it was time well spent. Even the moping at home served a purpose.

But OK, more practical:
    First off: don't lose hope on that one place. The person who left might get his act together. The organisation might find someone that organises new things. Just keep updated on what's happening there. Maybe even reach out to the former organiser with a supportive note thanking him for the previous events and telling you would very much love to stay updated.

Is there any sort of volunteering you could do? Gets you in touch with other people, and some even offer a minor compensation for time or resources invested.

Apart from that... does it cost much to enroll in evening classes of some nature or other? It might be an opportunity to both meet people and get a new skill that would help you in the search for bigger and better jobs?

9. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not totally giving up hope. That said...from what I know, it's highly unlikely they'll ever do events like they have. Although one never knows.

As I said before, the organizer is hoping to continue doing events in the future. He has managed to keep one going for the moment (although it's hugely influenced by participants helping by providing meeting space). But whether that event will be sustainable long term remains to be seen. What happens with the organizer also remains to be seen. At least, he seems committed to the idea, and seems to be planning to stay in the area. We remain in contact, mainly by Facebook.

This is something I may do. At this point, a big concern is just my own survival with cash flow. As things are standing, it's looking more and more like I'll have to take "any job" and I won't probably have the energy left after that. "Any job" jobs tend to be taxing--there is a saying "minimum wage, maximum work" and I'm dealing with depression...

I contemplate doing something in the meantime, but don't feel quite right in committing to something I might not be able to do in a month. Plus a lot of volunteer jobs seem to have a "required commitment" of X months. I doubt they'd take legal action, but one can understand they want someone who will be there for more than 2 days.

Unfortunately, it does. I have contemplated at times non-credit classes. Ones for personal fun/enrichment. But those typically cost $100-on up here. Practical classes--whether credit or something that would have real marketable value--are more.

10. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just returned from an evening of doing the event going for the moment. One thing I realized: I talked with more than one person about their lives away from the event. For example, one man's job search for something better, and another's new job at a local store. Plus I talked with the man who used to be in charge of these events. (He still has influence and still does organizing, but I'm not sure how much.) I realized something. These people were willing to talk. To answer questions. But no one really seems to care about me. Have I erected some wall that makes it seem like "no questions allowed?" Or am I so unlikable they just don't give a fuck?

Maybe it's time to explore the career path I identified in elementary school, thanks to a Hardy Boys book my other read to me. Career path? Hermit.

11. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, yes, I forgot to mention one thing... At the event tonight, a dog seemed to like me more than the people did... Maybe it's time to just give up... I wish I could have a dog or cat...they seem to like me more than people do... :tears:

12. CSPeter

Out Status:
    A few people
    if you have been blown or blown someone, fucked or been fucked by someone, then you're not a virgin...so it's not vanilla regular sex, sex is sex..

13. Pathetic Coward

I still feel that way at times. I've finally had to accept that anything I might need or want in this life, everyone else does too -- and they seem to need it more. People talk about having friends and family to look to for support but I've never seen that to be the case. In the end they have their own problems which are much more important than mine. Life can be a giant catch-22 some days. You can get what you need only when you don't need it. I know that's not exactly reality but it sure feels like it, some days.

I tried that once. Then I woke and saw the hole I had dug for myself (and tried to live in). Please don't do that. The world's still out there, regardless.

PC

14. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've never done anything sexual with anyone else. Not even a circle jerk during a sleepover as a teenager. So I'm definitely holding the V card.

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2016 at 05:14 AM ----------

Not just holding the V card, but it appears to be glued to my hand so it won't ever go away. :lol:

---------- Post added 17th Feb 2016 at 05:20 AM ----------

It does seem that way, sometimes...

#34 BMC77, Feb 17, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  15. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Self deprivation, thats the crux right there. Generally sends people running.

16. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I suppose so. And I realize it's a real problem I have.

Unfortunately...I do feel on some levels like I am totally unlikable. Even when I try to avoid self deprecation, I don't seem to win friends. :tears:

I think about last night when a dog who has never met me before seemed to like me better than the people did. :tears: Of course, at one point, the dog was probably more interested in the plate I was holding... :lol:

17. CharacterStudy

OK, so the community building thing might fall through because the person has left their post... so, especially if it's a not-for-profit, or charity thing, could you offer to arrange something, or volunteer to help, or join a committee? Probably not your thing as an introvert but it would do at least 2 things - make those events happen, help you meet people, and it would be great to put on your CV...

People respond positively to confidence, and that is something you definitely don't seem to have. Can you fake it for a little bit? Stick a smile on, take a deep breath and kind of act a part, just occasionally... and in time it might feel a little easier, and the benefits it will bring you will build your confidence, and after a while you won't need to fake it.

A super psychiatrist once explained depression to me, and how once you are depressed you start thinking negative thoughts, and that releases more of the depression chemicals (or suppresses the happy ones, can't remember) in your body, which leads to more depressive thoughts etc...

The good think about this cycle is it works the other way too... She had me keep a diary every day, write down the good things that had happened, however small they were, as well as to try to do something nice for myself every day (and that includes sitting on your step and tilting your face back into the sun, feeding the ducks, whatever gives you the tiniest bit of happy chemical). Then every night when you look back over your day's positive list, you are giving yourself a little top up of happy chemicals. It's not going to happen over night, but bit by bit you replenish the happy chemicals in your body.

I am a scientist so that was explained for the 'lay person', my apologies!

18. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    At this point, I don't see much hope of the events at the old place continuing, and I don't volunteering would change that. I don't think the person left in charge has the interest in doing events like they were doing.

As for the continuation of the one event on a community level... There is, unfortunately, little that I can do. The big thing that is needed is meeting space, and I can't provide that. Last night, for example, was in a large house. Well, I don't have access to space. E.g., I don't live in a large house. I don't have a job where I can arrange to borrow a large meeting room after hours. Or anything else like that.

I'm not sure. I guess I can try. I feel, though, even when I try that my act is pretty transparent. Indeed, I took a continuing education class in 1999. It required several in class speeches, and the consistent feedback was that I was noticeably uncomfortable.

Makes sense. Maybe I should try. Although there are days when it feels impossible to find even the smallest, happy thing...

19. Tightrope

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    BMC, I think that you should seek therapeutic assistance, sooner than later, especially with the self-deprecation. A lot of people make self-deprecating comments, but it's all a matter of how much. I think that the forum is helpful for venting and voicing our concerns, but the discontinuous nature of the posts, without interpersonal exchange, can only provide limited help.

I would strongly agree with CharacterStudy's post that depression is much like a cycle that feeds on itself. That's why it's treacherous and needs to be addressed with professional help.

20. CharacterStudy

Yes, I would second that need for professional help. I think, though I am no expert, that Cognitive Behaviour Therapy would be worth a try. It requires work. You need to do the homework. It's not going to work if you don't, but if you do the work it will pay off in time. CBT is often offered on-line or via telephone for a lower cost alternative.