1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgynous

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Yato Gami, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello, is there a way to look more androgynous?
    I'm afab and I'm already wearing boyish clothes, I'm not using (much) make-up and I have short hair. I look still a bit too girly in my opinion. Is there a specific hair cut that makes one look more gender neutral? What else can I do?

2. plant

When I cut my hair I asked the hairdresser to shave the sides and leave a sort of quiff thing at the top, although what I asked for and what she ended up doing were two different things. Try wearing looser pants, or skinny pants with a longer shirt. I also wear sports bras so my chest appears flatter, but that's just a personal preference thing. If you are a small person, the kid's section is your best friend, but you could also try the men's section at "trendier" stores (H&M, Forever 21, ect.)

3. Aisuru Musica

I know if you use makeup and highlight down your nose and above your eyebrows then shade your temples and jawline it would make your face more masculine but I'm not sure how to pull off an androgynous look. Here's a picture to help. [​IMG]

4. TomboyGoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know how androgynous i look but i'm definitely a tomboy. I have a short hair with shaved sides. You could ask your hairdresser to do something like that or if you find a picture of a guy who has a hair to your liking, you could always take it with you and show to the hairdresser. It might give them a better idea what you like.

I recently found that there are several different online shops that sell boxer shorts and briefs that are specifically made for women. They look like mens versions but are better suited to female body. I know that they don't show under your clothes but it is just for you to feel more androgynous. Just combine them with sports bra.

I usually wear just mens pants (a bit baggy goth style) and they are quite ok. Pant legs are a bit too long for me though and i have to buy the smallest ones usually. So it depends how tall and wide you are if you can pull that off. But if you are handy, you can fix them yourself to be more suitable.

Basic t-shirts and hoodies are good also. Maybe some flannel shirts. You can buy them from the womens section if you don't get too tight ones.

The most difficult for me is to find a jacket that isn't too feminine. And jackets are something you can't really buy from mens section. Usually upper body clothes are a bit harder because men have broader shoulders and women have boobs. Only something loose like a hoodie is ok.

I think the internet shopping is your best bet. And when you learn what size to get for mens clothing, the shopping will get easier. I hope this helped you! :slight_smile:

5. Yato Gami

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all.^^
    I will try the hair thingy, I've already thought about getting a hair cut similar to what you described.

I usually wear sports bras and hoodies from the men's section these days but that's alright now because they are pretty lose. But what do you do in summer? It's harder to "erase" boobs with a t-shirt on... Also, what do you wear when going swimming? Just a normal bikino or is there something for trans* people??

@Aisuru I'm not really that make-up type of person, so I have no clue how to do that actually. Also I'm too lazy to put much make-up on haha. But it's seems cool if you're good at it.^^

6. TomboyGoth

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Swimming is a bit harder thing, you can't really hide your boobs unless you swim in a t-shirt and that would be plain weird anyways. But maybe you could buy a bikini top that offers more coverage than the usual skimpy ones and buy board shorts to accompany it. That would be quite nice combination and a bit more masculine than only the bikinis.

7. cheqckerz

cheqckerz Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I usually hem normal cotton boxers because they're way too long :lol: But then they end up sort of... puffy. :confused:

The jacket thing. Yep. I've only found one so far that fits right and isn't insaaaaanely big. I bought a trench coat online from Korea, looks kinda like this https://b0191d0864d99c5b0800-bad4f0650833aec1fae47e6f8b498253.ssl.cf3.rackcdn.com/2013-01-22/T1dZ.6XjlcXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg_310x310.jpg Can also vouch for online shopping. If you're on the smaller side, clothes fit way better in mens Asian sizes and they're usually pretty cheap, even with shipping. There's a few trans clothing sites too.

For the swimming thing, I actually bought a boys size rash shirt last summer. http://scene7.targetimg1.com/is/image/Target/17120761?wid=480&hei=480 I don't know if they're common anywhere else, but they're common in Aus. Makes it more comfortable swimming, for sure.