1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Man or Transmasculine/demiboy

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by FoxEars, Feb 7, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been thinking about whether I'm transgender male, or just transmasculine for quite a while now. However I was stopped in my tracks when life knocked on the door to slowly drag things down. Now, without the worry for my Grandad's well-being, I again have a little more thoughts to dedicate to my identity.
    I'm unsure as to whether I'm clinging onto female....ness(?) or am just transmasculine. I am not homophobic nor am I transphobic to others, but I do feel as if I can't be fully male. This is probably due to what people want me to be and my family's homo/transphobic attitude.
    I experience top and social (I think social is the right word) dysphoria, though not so much bottom. I often feel more male than I do "in between" and sometimes more "in between." I think I'm uncomfortable being called by male pronouns because I'm not male, but sometimes I wonder if it's because people don't want me to be male.
    I'm so confused, so if any trans* people could tell me how masculine/feminine/neutral they feel and what their pronouns and gender are, I'd be so grateful.
    Thanks,
    FoxEars.

2. noname8387

would you like to go on HRT?

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Gender expression does not determine gender identity. Gender identity is how you feel within yourself; biologically and socially. Biological dysphoria might not always be trans, it could be body or muscle dysmorphia. Social dysphoria is how you want to be seen by others, and what pronouns feel right.

I'm agender. On a scale of one to ten (1 = F, 5= N, 10 = M), I have a 5 identity and a 4 expression. I use they/them/their pronouns.

Hope this helps.

4. JackIsANerd

Take all the time you need to figure out your identity there is never any rush! If you want you can always post to my wall if you want to talk about it. (*hug*)

I identify as a trans guy and I use he/him, but when it comes to how I feel I never really feel that masculine. Never in my life have I ever felt feminine before so most of the time I am pretty neutral! However I know I am male, I want to look male and be treated as one how masculine I feel has nothing to do with it.

5. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If anyone has let go of their "expected" identity, what did you feel about your gender before and after accepting it?

6. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel fairly neutral, but since I want to be male physically and socially I identify as ftm. I use he/him pronouns and sometimes they/them. I used to identify as genderfluid, then transmasculine, them ftm. When I identified as genderfluid, I called myself genderfluid but mostly male. When I identified as transmasculine, it was because I thought of myself as mostly male. I started IDing as ftm when I realized that I didn't have to feel 100% like a guy all the time in order to be one, and that plenty of cis guys don't feel strongly male either.

7. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Might I ask what HRT is?

That's interesting and thinking along those same lines, opens new doors that I could check out.
    I have a transgender (ftm) friend, he identifies as male, and I think that if I come out people would believe that I'm just following him.

8. JackIsANerd

HRT = Hormone Replacement Therapy

9. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm confused as to what this does, I've searched it but it wasn't exactly clear.

10. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For FTMs, that means taking testosterone. Sites like Hudson's Guide have info on changes and myths associated with taking T.

11. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    On that decision I'm torn, yes I'd love to look more masculine, but on the other hand I'm unsure of whether I'd risk some of the 'side effects' - such as acne and the increased sex drive. (To get into the RAF (somewhere where I'd like to get into) you can't have severe acne)

12. JackIsANerd

I am pretty sure those side effects go away after being on T for awhile basically its just a second puberty.

13. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I thought I was transmasculine and not fully Ftm for a period of time. I also tried on labels like genderfluid/queer, but I was always much more masculine than anything else. I realized I was Ftm when I started school back again in September and realized how bad my social and physical dysphoria was. So I came to understand that most of my reservations came from gender roles more than anything else, and I now identify as a femme trans guy and I'm totally fine with it. See, the key thing was that I identified on the inside as male all of the time.

As for pronouns, he/him pronouns felt really right for me, but after being called she my whole life, it did take a little getting used to. I don't mind they pronouns either, but very much prefer he ones.

Basically what I'm saying is you don't have to be a super masculine guy to be trans. (It's a bit funny for me because I was considered a tomboy before coming out, but there's still little things, you know? :slight_smile:)

#13 DreamerBoy17, Feb 12, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    sunsets67 likes this.
  14. kanra

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    I think I really needed to hear that.

Though I'm still 97% in the irl closet about it, I identify as a feminine male, I think. Does that make any sense? I would be secure in a completely biologically male body, even if I were to wear dresses in that body. And I'm mostly into men. I am a very smol, queer man who still uses she/her pronouns because, as I mentioned before, only two people really know. :lol:

15. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    By masculine, I mean the gender I feel. Masculine is probably a bad way to describe it, but it's hard to put into context. Does that make sense? Probably not.
    I'm also considered a tomboy, but probably won't come out as my older brother is extremely homophobic and transphobic, whilst my mother is probably one of the "as long as it isn't my child" kind-of type for sexualities other than heterosexual, and "I'm not going to accept someone who's trans whether they're my child or not, but I'm not against it even though I am". (Does that make sense? Or is it just people who don't make sense?)

This is all quite confusing, especially right now with everything throwing themselves at me.

16. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is it possible to be too influenced by transphobic people/ too reluctant to accept being transgender without fully realising it?

#16 FoxEars, Feb 13, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  17. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is definitely possible. Lots of people internalize transphobia, and it can take time to realize the extent to which it has been internalized.

18. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone have advice on overcoming internalized transphobia that is only directed to oneself?

19. Gay1234

Maybe just try talking to transgender friends you have and maybe they will be able to help you as they obviously know you way better than we so here. Its a suggestion and it might help. If that doesn't work out feel free to come back to me or us.

Good Luck,
    Gay1234

20. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Honestly, I never thought of talking to my trans* friends. Haha, so obvious. Thanks!