1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion on euthanasia

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by I'm_Danni_x, Feb 3, 2016.

?

Opinion on euthanasia

1. Against Euthanasia

5 vote(s)
    8.6%
  2. For Euthanasia

28 vote(s)
    48.3%
  3. Only for the terminally ill.

25 vote(s)
    43.1%
  1. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Very nice, but Death is the one of the main taboos, and it's a subject too scary for most. They'll keep talking about love, even if they have no idea, but don't expect them to talk about Death. Many leave a mess, and then it's time for lawyers and the long, long rest... No pun intended.

I'm in favor of euthanasia, for the same reasons I'm against death penalty. Don't think any government has any right to decide who lives and who dies.

2. rudysteiner

I agree with euthanasia/assisted suicide for people with terminal illnesses e.g. cancer, but only in the last stages. I especially believe that in the case of Alzheimer's disease, that someone should be able to make the conscious decision to end their life before their memory deteriorates too much, or before they lose themselves, in a sense. I think they should also have the right to give their consent for their family to end their life when they think best if the person's hippocampus (I think that's the right part of the brain) has deteriorated past a certain point.

3. armydude

armydude Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Probably not for healthy young people, but definitely in geriatrics.

4. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I am worried about euthanasia or assisted suicide becoming the new normal where the terminally or chronically ill would be encouraged to end their lives because they are a drain on society. Otherwise, I fully support it regardless of the reasons as long as it's not forced in any way.

5. wolf of fire

I think that at some point in your life you should be allowed to make a document similar to a will; in this document is a list of circumstances that should you fall under you would want to die (maybe there should be a list or something) and when they happen you are killed in a manner of your choosing.
    This way it would be your decision and yours alone.

6. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    People should have the right to die, in any circumstance. If you own your life, you also own your death.

Of course, it is also our duty to prevent suicide and such, because most of the time, those people do not wish to die. They merely want to get helped.

For terminal illnesses, it should be permitted. We were actually going to pass this law in Quebec. Assisted suicide would have become legal. However, Ottawa vetoed it. Like it always does :/

7. mobrien1993

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Assuming we're talking about people then I say it's up to them...however if they're young and healthy and are just having a bad time or looking for a way out then I would say they would have to have counseling for awhile then if they still wanted it go for it

8. ok455

I am for it if someone has cancer or some kind of disease where they are going to be bedridden or can't do for themselves. They should be able to end their life. Working at the hospital you see patients that come in every week and you always hear them saying "I wish i could die" if i was in their situation i would go for assisted suicide. Who really wants to be bedridden,fed,turned every two hours and peeing and pooping in a diaper?

9. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm always in the minority when this topic comes up on EC, but I don't support assisted dying. Despite all of the arguments that have been put forward in favour, I am not persuaded that we can set the bar high enough to protect weak and vulnerable people. I would rather see us dedicate time and resources into delivering excellence in palliative care.

10. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Just to clarify, so you are against for practical reasons, not in principle? So if we assume we could use a hypothetical machine that would tell us if the patient actually wants to die and is not being pressured of misinformed, would you support assisted dying?

Or would you still oppose it on some other grounds?