1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MtF - Singing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Invidia, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    Hey y'all, music loving trans girl looking for some advice here. So, I sing, and I find it really fun. I sing a bit of everything, from Disney to metal music. But it's mostly melodic music. Anyway. Being trans, puberty messed up my throat and voice, like it does for many trans girls. I do think I got off relatively easily, because my natural voice is high for an AMAB person; and I can sing quite high as well. I've recorded myself singing in ranges from about 200-1300 Hz. Now, the problem. When I sing higher, I have to go into a falsetto. And isn't that kind of like cheating? Plus I lose power, and it can sound a bit shrill sometimes. I'm wondering, maybe later when I've trained my muscles for talking more and stuff, I'll be able to sing better as well?

Anyway, anyone who can relate or has something to say about this, thanks a lot! And thanks for reading!

2. oh my god I

I still want to believe it is doable, like countertenors do it and stuff and can sound pretty good. I love singing and wish I could do it more but my handicap depresses me too much. ;-; one of my biggest sadnesses about being trans.

I don't know if I ever heard a mtf vocalist who didn't sound different but different doesn't mean necessarily not pretty. Namoli Brennet (sp?) seemed to have a pretty and natural voice. Also there's Kim Petras but she transitioned young. There might be others.

There's also a cis guy I think Michael Lopez who trained himself to sing like 8 octaves?? Yeah... Oh and there's nick pitera too.

Hope that helps with some inspiration!!

I find that when I'm really honest about my comfort zone I'm usually just below alto range. But, you can also have a pretty/female sounding voice without going too high, like think of some Lana or Adele songs for example.

Falsetto... Eh, I refuse to go into falsetto though I think that is what countertenos actually do, they just develop it

#2 oh my god I, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
  3. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a wide range! I only know by music pitches, but I put those numbers into some calculator to figure it out, and you've got a good range- up to soprano.

When I sing in my chest voice, I sound less feminine, but in my head voice it sounds a lot more.

To get head voice, you have to- raise soft pallet, and feel the notes resonating in your cheek-bones, and you need adequate breath support (seeing as how it's in the high end of your range)

Also, raising your cheekbones (like how you raise them while smiling) while singing makes the sound a lot prettier, and clearer.

I don't know how much of this you already knew, but I hope something helped!

4. MaybeBenji

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    maybe we can switch voices lol
    I feel you on this one. I'm a transguy and I hope to someday have a career in music because i love singing. Sometimes the dysphoria hits really bad and makes singing hard. The best advice I can give is to train your voice. Vocal chords are amazing the way they can be trained. Each day try to sing notes a little bit higher than the day before. Over time you should notice that you can sing higher. My favorite way of doing this is to sing arpeggios at the piano. If you don't have a piano, there are lots of videos online of vocal warm ups.
    I'm not sure how good i was at explaining this (I think it was pretty crap actually, sorry). I wish you the best!
    -Benji

5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Same. *hugs*

Yeah, I've kind of naturally started doing that myself. It's kind of... the quickest and easiest, I guess. And yeah that's what countertenors do :/

Thanks for the tip on Namoli. Her singing was beautiful! xx

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 05:08 AM ----------

Thanks a lot for the advice, honey! :slight_smile: x
    For me it's often like, I sing partly in my head and partly in my chest. Like not 100% one or the other if that makes sense. ^_^

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2016 at 05:09 AM ----------

If only we could! Thanks for the advice. Aim for your dreams, btw, I'm sure you can do it! :slight_smile: I'll look up vocal warm ups too. THanks!

6. Invidia

Invidia Guest

just kind of a further explanation: it's like, for really high tones that I need to use falsetto. yah. again, thanks for all the advice so far. :slight_smile:

7. LuvToSwitchBods

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That's cool MaybeBenji. I wish I could switch voices
    with you for a while lol. Everyone says that I have a
    deep voice, but I don't think it's that deep.