1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody here genderfluid and want to discuss it?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by eden, Jan 26, 2016.

1. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm pretty sure that describes me but I also don't think I want to transition. I like to dress male some days and female some other days. I also like the androgyny of it all. I can wear boys' or girls' clothes and be as girly (or not) as I want.

Or have some of you found that it's just the first step towards transitioning?

I know we're all different here but I was hoping to talk to someone who can relate or just tell me about their day-to-day so I don't feel so alone.

2. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've considered transition previously, and went to a therapist about it, but in the end, it's not bad enough for me to go through with it, and most of the time I can easily hide everything (with or without binding).

The only thing for me is, even though genderfluid describes me best, I always have doubts whether it's the "best way to describe myself". I know it is, but every now and then, if I feel different I may use another label that describes how I'm feeling that day (demiboy, male, agender, etc).

3. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes! Right on! I often wonder if 'genderfluid' is the best word too (depending on the day). I don't know, I see these pictures of MTFs in my age group (I'm older than you but still look younger than my age) and they seem so happy. I know it's just a picture but some days, I really want to be a girl.

I wonder if I'd miss being a male or if it's worth all the trouble. Plus, it's quite expensive!

4. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Then again, even though I wear smaller clothes, I have size 13 shoes so there's that problem, too. it seems like most MTFs are smaller ex-guys and maybe had an easier time? I guess I need to research that part more.

Hawk, thanks for your feedback. It seems like genderfluids are like the red-headed stepchild of the trans community sometimes. Or that we don't count.

5. Stacy in MA

You are definitely not alone!

It sounds like I'm in a somewhat similar situation. I am definitely non binary (somewhere on the feminine side of androgynous) and don't plan to transition. I am gender fluid but for me it seems to change gradually over the course of weeks to a month or two rather than day to day.

I too wear size 13 shoes, but have actually managed to do pretty well for myself on that score :slight_smile:

6. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow, stacy in ma. you're brave! is your hair always the same color as in your avatar? what do you do with it on days you feel like a man? sorry to ask. i wish i could ask you lots!

i too, have long hair & it was dyed blue and purple for the longest time, now it's brown with blond streaks but everyone kind of knows i'm not binary but no one really says anything. i think for years people were waiting for me to come out but i don't identify as gay so i never did.

thanks for replying, though. things have changed in my life recently so i kind of have to be me now.

#6 eden, Jan 26, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2016
  7. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I believe that I am partially Genderfluid as well. Although I lean to more the male side than the female. I won't nor have I ever felt comfortable in anything remotely feminine. I've always kept to gender neutral clothing.

But, now I feel I just want to be more of a guy than a girl. But it's not too strong where I want to transition this second. The most I think I would ever do, is possible breast removal. This way I can be neither one or the other and be more comfortable with myself in the changes. I wish to be reffered to as a man always, and to be called my guy name.

It can all depend on mood and what you're going through in personal life too. This makes it either stronger than others or just neutral. But in my case, the wanting to be called a guy is always consistent.

8. Stacy in MA

Eden - Sadly that is not my actual hair (just a wig). I wish it were though! I have experimented a little with trying to find style that worked for a man or a woman but never got it to work for me.

I'm not always around, but feel free to ask me whatever on my profile and I'll try to answer if I can. Even within the trans community I rarely run into anyone particularly like me, so I definitely feel a bit out there on my own, and can relate to how you seem to be feeling.

9. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    stacy in ma, thank you for your reply and i may just take you up on the offer.

yasha of xmetas, i can relate to wearing gender-neutral clothing. that's probably the best way to describe where i'm at right now. i can wear clothes from the women's side of the shop but they can't be too frilly because...i don't know why. my wife would totally freak, or i'd look like a mess in them? i could wear a frilly top but i'd pair it with some nice jeans.

i would really like to know where the genderfluid men shop for ladies' clothes (or transitioning folks, for that matter). i know a couple of places or i know my size for a few brands so that is what i go with.

it's irritating to know that society accepts a person being a tomboy (and that so many more ftm transgendered people come out than mtf) but for us guys, it's so wrong to be a any kind of feminine.

10. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm potentially genderfluid. As in, at the moment I don't identify as either gender completely and I present as whichever one I feel more like being at the time.

I've only been out in public as female five times as of now, and all of them for events at the local LGBT center. I still get called he/him despite wearing fake breasts and a skirt, but hopefully that will change once my hair grows out more. This is taking a while to happen though; I haven't gotten a haircut since late September, but it just doesn't seem to want to grow much. My body hair on the other hand, grows fast enough I have to shave it almost every day to keep it down.

As for clothes, I'm 5'10" which would be fairly tall for a woman, but not excessively so. I wear size 10 men's shoes though, which may present a few issues.

I'm not certain how far I want to go with this just yet. I'm going to be seeing a gender therapist starting next week to help me figure things out. There are a number of people who started out identifying as genderfluid and then wound up transitioning a few years later though, so I do think it's possible I might go the same route.

#10 DRex, Jan 27, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  11. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    wow! cool idea. i could go to lgbt events at my university dressed however i want and i think that will help me. i couldn't do falsies though, but to each his own. i actually lost a whole person's worth of weight years ago so even though i'm in good shape now, i wouldn't need the falsies anyway. i just look like i have 'mosquito bites' now.

i had hoped coming on here would be a good thing for me and you've all been great so far.

i'm 6'0 and wear a size 13 so don't feel so bad. i'll never find women's jeans! not the brands i like anyway.

regarding shoes, i'll just continue to wear my doc marten 1460s. i'm about to get a pair in white and they are pretty gender neutral. they don't offer all the crazy colors for men like they did in the 1990s but white will work for me. i wish i could find some mary janes, though. i'd then need some new tights....then a skirt (??)...and uh oh...what about stubble?

what do guys do about it??? i never had to shave until i was 21 but like yesterday, i was all feeling good with my cute tops and matching turquoise earrings and dragonfly pin and by the time class let out (late in the evening), i had some stubble. i guess before i hit the lgbt event, i better grab a new razor or something.

does anybody wax?

12. Mr Spock

I find for myself I would be happy to describe myself as under the transgender umbrella, because I simply refuse to believe that (for the most part) the idea of gender exists. Some days I feel so desperate with dysphoria and self-loathing that I would happily be an FTM. Other days I love the androgenous feel of my everyday wear. I get pegged as a guy over half the time by strangers, so yay! :slight_smile:

13. Yasha of XMETAS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel the same Mr. Spock. (RIP Leonard) There are somedays where it just gets so overwhelming for me to want to be a real man, others I feel content with being androgynous. I only wish that when I go out I can be mistook for a man. Guess I'll need to work on my guy voice better.

For clothing I am planning to donate all of my feminine styled clothes since I no longer feel comfortable in them. Lower underwear aside since I still need that. I want to get more male styled clothes, but I'm like 5'3 or so, so finding something that fits is a challenge in my city. I would always go to thrift stores, the Salvation Army, Value Village, etc to find some good deals on clothes. I don't need them to be brand new, just not in tatters or too dirty so getting used clothes isn't too bad for me as someone who doesn't care about brands.

I've never gone to an LGBT event in my city, because A: It's outdoors. B: Its in sunlight and heat. C: It's public and noisy. D: I just don't feel too ready to go to one yet even if I didn't have major problems with the first 3.

And no Eden, I shave always, haven't waxed in years and that's only done for eyebrows. Haven't plucked those since last September, and one's growing in really weird it's driving me crazy because it looks uneven, like one is thicker than the other. And when I thicken them with eyebrow liner, it looks good to me but might be too obvious to some.

Does anyone have suggestions on this?

14. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    you might try getting your eyebrows threaded but my stylist trims 'em up for me when i get my hair cut and colored. (i also trim them sometimes). i've never waxed, always shaved (ever since i was in middle school, actually - but i'm not really hairy to begin with).

15. ConsciousRose42

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi :slight_smile:
    I identify as 35% male and 65% female -- it feels right :slight_smile:
    Sometimes I 'flash' into feeling all male ( this is mostly a sexual thing but sometimes it just is and other times I feel feminine ( but not as girly as I used to since having my hair cut short--
    Now I'm fully accepting of my fluidity I like it and think it's great --
    I don't know all the terms and phrases and I'm not too bothered really --
    I like androgynous though -- I feel that way quite a lot --

Did u know that at some point in the womb we are all the same and then the penis develops or not -- I find this interesting
    I also find it interesting that more and more people are identifying as gender fluid and that pop stars and the famous are being more open about this --- I find it so encouraging and liberating ---

So be who you feel and express it how you want -- :slight_smile:

16. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i went to my first pride club meeting at uni and i brought up how many people are into labeling. unfortunately because of a class i can't go to the trans/genderfluid/non-binary group but i'm meeting with a trans friend who heads that group. i know that it's healthy for me to be around members of my community so i'm really making an effort.

that pride club was the first time i ever came out in ftont of people but right before that, some people at the uni's radio station saw my genderfluid pride beanie and they were like "cool hat" and i just straight up told 'em, "thanks. it's a genderfluid pride hat!"

the last two nights, i've slept so well. i feel a little more at peace now.

#16 eden, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  17. Oddsocks

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You are not remotely alone. :slight_smile: I'm still kind of working through the whole gender thing, but I'm gradually accepting the idea that I'm somewhere in the ballpark of genderfluid and there's not much I can do about that, haha.

Personally, I have no transition plans. Top surgery isn't something I'd realistically consider (I have days where it feels like it would be, but most of the time I'm on friendly terms with my body in general) and the amount of kerfuffle it would take to get on low-dose T in the UK? Not remotely worth the surrounding stress of disclosing it or the travel involved or just convincing health professionals that it's a reasonable idea.

(Also I've worked so hard to get to like my voice, I'd be worried about altering it.)

So yeah, we're out there, as you've probably noticed, haha! I'm really glad connecting with other folks on the trans spectrum has already helped you feel better.

18. eden

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it has. everyone who's posted offers their own perspective and i find it very helpful, inspiring and comforting :slight_smile:

19. Funn

Funn Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am not genderfluid, but I have a question.

How does being genderfluid relate to, or affect your sexuality? I mean, if you are gay, but genderfluid... does that mean when you feel like a woman, you like women; and when you feel like a man, you like men?

This is a sincere question, I am not trying to mock or make fun. I really want to understand.

#19 Funn, Jan 30, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2016
  20. Hawk

Admin Team Full Member Away

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gender and sexuality don't relate to each other. Whether I'm feeling female, male, or anywhere in between, my orientation won't change.
    I personally don't like labeling my orientation as "gay" or "lesbian", I'd rather just say "women", and it doesn't say what gender I'm feeling any particular day either.

I can't speak for others, but I hope that clears things up.