1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT News Bernie Sanders stood up for gays in 1995

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Lindsey23, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Lindsey23

2. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a fan of his policies, but I've gotta admire his consistency.

3. onlythebulls13

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hes been way ahead of the mainstream for years. We need a leader who leads not one who follows the polls and political pundits. He does whats right because he knows it to be right unlike other candidates who play the political games.
    Hes never run an ad that attacks his opponent, only postive ads and ads that draw contrasts in policy.

Check out his new positive ad... gave me chills.
    https://youtu.be/2nwRiuh1Cug

---------- Post added 22nd Jan 2016 at 12:12 PM ----------

What a great clip Lindsey, love the fire he had in 1995 in defense of the lgbt community... shouting down a homophobe who openly insults patriots in our armed forces that happen to be gay.. cheers bernie. Love him so much.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't say I want him for president but I think that is pretty cool. Ya know in Barack Obama's 2008 campaign he said he believed marriage was between a man and a woman only. Hilary also said the same thing back in the 2004 election. Sometimes I wonder if their views have actually changed or if they just say that to keep a good public figure.

5. Im Hazel

Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie
    Bernie Bernie

He is great. <3

#5 Im Hazel, Jan 22, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2016
  6. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Agreed. To me he seems to be the only good one out of the bunch

7. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well, I believe Obama's actually did change overtime. Although he was against gay marriage, he did say he was okay with States allowing civil unions. You now see him be pretty active in advocating for LGBT rights/awareness.

The thing about Hillary that sets her apart from Obama is that she's changed her mind on a lot of issues after the public opinion shifted. Hillary seems to be much more concerned with popular opinion whenever she makes statements. Regardless, I like most of her policies but don't trust any of her motives. At least Bernie is much more honest.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is why I trust Bernie to uphold my rights a lot more than Hillary, who waited until the last minute when it was politically advantageous to be in favor of LGB rights (at least for marriage equality).

9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    David Axelrod actually admitted to Obama's "evolution" really being a calculated move. He used his opposition to marriage equality in 2008 to be more electable and evolved in 2012 to solidify the liberal wing of the party's support. In the 1990s he was pro-marriage equality.

I can agree that Hillary has ulterior motives when saying her stances on issues (marriage, TPP, Iraq War, etc.) and that it's concerning that her views change depending on her audience and poll numbers. That's a main reason why I think many people will not vote for her in the primary, especially progressives who think she's just a part of the establishment trying to be all "hip" and "cool" by her cringeworthy pandering to black and LGBTQ voters (I can give examples if asked). I think if she wins though, Bernie will endorse her and that will reunite the party. However, I still think Bernie has about a 40% chance of winning, and I think the Democratic nominee will really have to try to lose the general election, and I think that the "CANDIDATE X ISN'T ELECTABLE" scare tactic perpetuated by both Sanders and Clinton supporters is ridiculous. Polls show that both of them safely beat Trump, and run either slightly ahead of or within the margin of error with Cruz and Rubio, which one of those three will be the nominee unless Jeb Bush performs some sort of dark magic necromancy on his campaign.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well for the democratic nomination, it's either gonna be Clinton or sanders. O'Malley doesn't stand a chance. Unfortunately I think a republican will be the next president. I mean there are way more candidates and I see a lot of trump supporters.

11. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The number of primary candidates doesn't effect the party's odds of winning an election at all, just look at 2008. And just because you see a lot of Trump supporters does not mean moderates would feel comfortable voting for him. In fact, about 10-20% of Republicans would vote third party if he were their nominee.

12. RemakeJake

Him over Hillary any day.

13. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The homophobe is a Republican, surprise suprise

14. Plattyrex

That's really nice. I feel like the majority of the Democratic party only started supporting lgbt issues when it was convenient for them, not because they actually care.

15. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think that sort of cynicism is necessarily warranted. If a minority of supporters had to become a majority, at some point people changed their minds, including politicians.

Twelve years ago, some of the most pro-LGBT frontbenchers in the Australian Parliament were unequivocal opponents of same-sex marriage. But as cultural values shifted, as their constituents began to care and as they came into contact with more and more LGBT people, their opinions genuinely changed.

Likewise, the Democratic Party is less likely to be guilty of shallowness than it is of a cultural change. For politicians not to devote a great deal of political capital to what might be a cause they have little relation to is hardly unreasonable.

So support Sanders if you so wish, but I don't think it's helpful criticising people for making the right decision later than you would hope.

16. freeapril

The Libertarian Party has endorsed gay rights and marriage equality since its first platform in 1972. Just want to put that out there. :slight_smile:

17. burg

bet me 2 that :thumbsup: even tho im bit more of a liberal now these days.

18. Oh Lilac

I love Bernie.

19. Pie

Pie Guest

He is truly amazing! He speaks the truth!

20. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Bernie will never be voted for president if he won the nomination though. It's really either Hillary or some Republican idiot. :/