1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

does anyone else do this?? help :(

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gbxx33, Jan 20, 2016.

1. gbxx33

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Whenever I post something on Facebook like a status or profile picture or new photo album, I get a mini anxiety attack - maybe I shouldn't have posted that, maybe it wasn't as clever as I thought it was, maybe nobody will "like" it, etc. etc.
    Does anyone else experience this or know what to do?
    I just posted something on Facebook again and it eats me up every time. I'm sitting here freaking out because only two people have liked the post so far in 20 minutes :frowning2: Now I'm worried I posted it too late at night.....

2. EnchanterForest

I am the same, but don't worry. You get used to it. I just normally post things I like, so is doesn't matter who likes it. Your Facebook page should reflect you, and it doesn't matter what other people think.

3. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I think is that going to offend anyone and I have posted then immediately taken the post down.
    I'm guessing it's very normal

4. Distant Echo

Just do what I do. Divide your friends list into groups. Close friends see everything. Friends see what I let them see. Acquaintances see very little. And once in a while I post something just for me, and that is set to only me.

No deletions at all.

5. Kirua

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Considering I don't use facebook, not really. I tend to avoid most social media because of this if I'm being honest. But it does make sense and there isn't anything wrong with it. I'm bad at expressing myself through words (I blame my fifth-grade level vocabulary and awareness), but:

There is nothing wrong with being self-conscious and anxious about what you share over the net. It's one of those things where you can't make assumptions based on others reactions because you can't see them. You don't know who has seen it, their thoughts or beliefs regarding whatever you've just shared. It's easy to get anxious when you can't rely on people's facial expressions or genuine responses. Besides, what you've said can be reread and that's rather daunting for me, personally-- of course, I have no idea what I'm saying at this point and honestly don't know what's driving me to say this so I'll stop.

Basically, it makes sense to feel anxious over how people react to what you say/post about. There isn't anything wrong with that. Just know that you can openly express yourself free of the constant worrying over how many likes you get, so long as your content with what you said for yourself and not what others think of it. That doesn't make what you said any less witty, meaningful or you.

Ugh, never mind. I just meant you're not alone. I am sorry for dragging that out, haha. Perhaps one day I'll be able to offer legit advice, but for now this might as well do. Hope you don't mind.

6. heyguyswhatsup

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always feel this, unless I'm in public.

Reason being that I have a lot of time to overthink myself into an anxiety attack when I'm at home. In public, I'll usually be focusing on something else.

To counter this, I sometimes post between midnight and sunrise. So if I embarrass myself, at least it won't be fresh on people's news feeds to see and poke fun or cringe at.

7. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't have a FaceBook. However, I've got unstable self-esteem. Sometimes I feel invincible and other times I feel super sensitive.

Like other folk said, I think the main thing is that you like the stuff you create :slight_smile: Maybe people do see it and they can't be bothered "liking" it. Plus 20 minutes doesn't seem like a loooong time to wait for responses, unless you've got loads of followers!

I have a YouTube gaming channel. I can tell you that most "internet denizens" are like spectators and that's okay. I'm more concerned about failing to entertain people... if a high percentage of viewers don't watch most of the video, then I wonder how to improve.

I don't remember if it was on PSN or YouTube... probably the latter, I got this message that called me a FIVE YEAR OLD FAGGOT. I think it's sad lol. I just respect that he or she got straight to the point, rather than issuing endless rants and thinly-veiled death threats. Anyway, I don't check my YouTube comments anymore and I changed my PSN mail settings to only allow friends to send messages to me.

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really go on Facebook that much so I'm gonna say no.

9. kageshiro

kageshiro Guest

Er, I'd just post anything without a second thought and if someone has a problem with it, just delete them. It's good to conquer anxiety about pointless things

10. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I get this too, especially on thescienceforum. Sometimes I'm more afraid to say things online than in person.

11. eMei

Definitely. This is the reason I post very little on Facebook. I also find I get this anxiety/lack of confidence when writing in French.

12. Southern Stoic

Lurking on the dark underbelly of the web
    I used to feel like that but I've gotten used to it. The only thing that gets to me still is when people message me.

13. Spiderstalker

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    i barely even use Facebook nowadays, i used to be there years ago but i never posted much at all only used it to chat with some friends, (well there was a time that a friend and i would start a total random group chat with hundreds of random woman) it was just one of those things you would never do again, also i tended to have little to no likes on my pics and stuff, until recently that i got like 80 to 100 lol and funny thing is i couldnt care less much of the likes are really random, people with 5000 contacts will tend to have a lot specially if they are good looking or specially girls, but you find a lot of people liking in bunch are either friend collectors or page admins looking to share their groups/pages, i made an experiment yesterday and i ''aged a picture of me'' making it look like i was 80 years old and got 0 likes :roflmao: i think is a tool that helps you keep in touch with a few people and have it's advantages but used in excess cause more weird/problematic/awkward situations as well as some mental stress or social anxiety

14. lovetoomuch

I completely understand what you feel. Unfortunately we live in a society where social media has essentially taken over. We base our self-worth on number of friends, likes, and other people's approval. I have seen some of the best, funniest statues and they only get 5 likes. I have seen beautiful pictures taken by people and they will get 10 likes. I understand the fear, but try to not live your life worrying about all of it so much.

I used to have all the social media accounts - Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram. I now only have Facebook and it's currently temporarily deactivated for a little. I deleted my accounts because I found myself focusing and caring about social media too much. Some breaks from it all really help clear your mind.

You are seriously not alone, lol. The worst is when I have a crush because then I just want my crush to like my posts and I get sad when he doesn't; that's legitimately how much it was taking over my life! Try not to stress about it so much, even though that is easier said than done.

15. Ryu

Ryu

If it eats away at you when you post, don't fucking go on facebook. It's a simple as that.

16. Psychescreesg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OMG I'm the same. Like especially fandom lesbian ships. O-e like aw frick man. And I regret it but also tell myself I'm being brave, and keep mixing between the two.

17. Justinian20

I don't really see the point of worrying about likes or dislikes.