1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I go to that LGBT+ group?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MayaBee, Jan 17, 2016.

1. MayaBee

So, I recently found out that there is a LGBT+ group close to where I live and since I don't know ANY queer people in real life, I have been wondering if I should go? Right now I am having kind of a Pro/Cons- argument in my head:

Pro:
    -I would finally meet LGbT+ people
    -I could talk with them about my 'problems' and they would understand
    -Maybe I would meet a nice girl, who knows?

Cons:
    -I don't know ANY of them and I would have to go alone
    -What if it is nothing like I expected?
    -What if somebody I know sees me going there?(I am not out)
    -On their facebook page it looks like they would all know each other very well and I would just be a starnger popping in
    -What if they hate me or I don't like them?

So, does anyone have any experiences ? How was your first time going to a LGBT+ group? Should I go?

2. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I woudl go there. Don't try to think of the cons. If theres something you dont like about it, then dont go anymore. you can at least try. They probably wont hate you or make you feel left out. It's a support group, so it would be unusual of them to ignore you.

I don't have any experience, but you can always try. Nobody is forcing you to come a second time.

3. MayaBee

Thank you for your reply! It is hard tho not to think of the cons. I am like 70% sure I will give it a try, but still cant get myself to go. I even picked out a date when to go even tho I am not sure IF I go.
    I really hope I can get myself to go whilst I am terrified of going

4. MissMook

You should totally go.

LGBT+ support groups should only really have people who are looking for support and to establish new relations. Any new person who joins in is a new opportunity for people to make friends, so people in the group are always looking forward to meeting someone else they have in common with.

So don't look at this as a possibility for people to judge you, but as a possibility to meet people who might have gone through the same as you and to make new friends.

5. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Go! Trust me you'll like it. The first time might be rough bc you won't know anyone but just keep going and it'll be great. I've been going to an lgbt+ group every Thursday and it has been great. :slight_smile:

6. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    -I don't know ANY of them and I would have to go alone – You might get to know some of them!
    -What if it is nothing like I expected? – That could be a good thing!
    -What if somebody I know sees me going there?(I am not out) – they are there for the same reason as you…..
    -On their facebook page it looks like they would all know each other very well and I would just be a starnger popping in
    -What if they hate me or I don't like them? They were all ‘strangers’ before they “popped in”. All of them were feeling like you before they joined the group. They will probably just love you – You come across as a nice person.

I felt the same before I attended a support group for gay married men. Now I find the meetings an essential part of my life.
    (*hug*)

7. thepandaboss

I'd go. Believe me, the right group can help a lot. But if you end up hating it, at least you know for sure.

8. Cedar

Try going once and see what happens.

9. JackAttack

JackAttack Guest

Force yourself to go no matter what. I joined a LGBT group last year and I had very similar fears to you but I went and iv enjoyed it since. Getting to know other LGBT people is well worth it!

10. R M

R M

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Goooooo! WHo knows, maybe you'll meet a cute girl?

11. RainbowMan

I'll echo what others have said here. I'm completely out, so if someone saw me that I know, I'd just be like..."yeah, I was there". However I get where it may cause a great deal of anxiety for someone that isn't out. How I like to think of it is that even if they saw me, that means they'd likely be LGBT+ as well, or at least an ally (depending on what type of group it is).

As for the not liking it/them not liking you/etc, you'll never know that for a fact until you try it, and there's nothing that says that you have to go more than once. So give it a try!

12. sunshinebi

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lgbt+ groups are awesome. It feels good to connect with other people who share some of your life experiences. You shouldn't need to be worried about those cons. Just try and be friendly and hopefully that will be reciprocated.

13. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wish you luck! I am going through the same thing.

14. guitar

The outing part is scary but talking with gay friends literally changed my life. An LGBT group when I was in highschool would have saved me years of being trapped in the closet and a lot of confusion. If you can get over the worry about being outed, I highly recommend it, at least in my experience.