1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have realized that I'm a lesbian and now I have a few concerns

Discussion in 'Sexual Orientation' started by Alwyn, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Alwyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    A few months ago, I posted a thread in which I expressed my confusion regarding my orientation. I've made some progress since then and have come to the realization that I'm indeed a lesbian.

I felt (after a horrible year of doubt and trying every label I could find on the internet) that there was some potential in me for liking girls but it felt like it was not enough. I have never been aware of any conscious denial, but after talking to an online friend who was going through a similar process I realized I have never really given it a fair chance either. Since the start of puberty, there have been many occasions where I wondered whether I might be bisexual/romantic, so I guess I was at least feeling something that had provoked these thoughts. For example, I've had dreams about fragmented female bodies which caused some erotic feelings but I always thought they were just a metaphor for my own body.

So I just tried pretending (i.e. calling myself internal gay and fantasizing/looking at people accordingly) I was gay for a week (at least that was the plan)... but I never went back?

The thing is I could step by step have real fantasies about individual women, which I never really could before. I also got some dreams about girl crushes I thought I had in the past, like I got feelings for them backwards, if that makes sense. I also had the chance to meet again with a girl I knew at high school and have doubted about for 3 years whether I was in love with her or not. I discovered that I still constantly wanted to casually touch her (I'm not a touchy person and never do it with friends and I never had this feeling with a boy - however, I started to remember I also had this feeling with another girl).

There are also a few things I always had struggled with which seems to be fading.. I often had empty and actually a bit scary thoughts about abstract men, often about their sexual dominance, which made me feel like I was floating above my body. They are not completely gone but have diminished immensly. Moreover, I have doubted my gender identity a lot in the past but when I realized I could really be a lesbian I felt instantly at peace with my gender/body.

However, it still feels a bit subtle, if you understand what I mean. Firstly, I almost completely overlooked my feelings for women. Secondly, I'm still a bit paranoid that what I'm feeling is not enough to be "truly gay".

I think I was clung to the idea that I was interested in men, because when I was younger I believed I had a few male crushes as well. I believed I was even in love with a boy but I have come to the realization that it was all in my head.. I never found his body appealing or even aesthetically nice and I didn't like it when he tried to kiss me. It was more that he was nice to me when few others were (also I was 16 back then and he was 22 which suggests some power imbalance?) and I projected all my romantic ideals on him. Around that time I even talked to a therapist about my feelings for him and she was concerned I was confusing friendship with romance but I completely dismissed her input. I realized the feelings were completely asexual a while back but I still thought I could have been romantically attracted to him (and hence, men in general).

It is quite embarrassing to admit it was an illusion? Also, if I really was "delusional", how do I know for sure I'm not "delusional" now as well?

When I look back at my teenage years, I have always felt a fascination with gay people. I read (I still do) many novels featuring gay/lesbian people because I prefer them over heterosexual romance. I also had strong feelings about gay rights and even have given a presentation about same-sex marriage, without ever fully realizing I was one of the gay people I talked/read about. Is this even possible?

When I was in my first year at high school I was bullied by some popular girls about my sexuality, i.e. they constantly and teasingly asked me which boy I liked and eventually I made up crushes on boys. I even pretended I had a boyfriend (an imaginary person). Could this have been the cause of my subconscious denial? (Besides, each time someone started talking about lgbt issues I felt really weird: dizzy, heart beating faster, etc., like some kind of anxiety attack.)

I guess I'm relieved that I'm where I am now, but a part of me is still afraid it is not real and I have to go back to empty thoughts about men. What if I never fall in love with a girl again and have to realize I'm living in an illusion again? Besides, I have some concerns about the empty thoughts about abstract men. Sometimes I still do have them and they make me feel fake.. I especially have them when I'm feeling anxious like they are feeding on negative feelings. Can I see this as a sign they are not real and I can ignore them?

Are these feelings normal? Can someone relate to them?

Many thanks in advance for reading this.

2. GarbageKnight

All the feelings you say you're having are normal, as far as I can tell. I relate to a lot of what you've said. It was very difficult for me to figure out what I was feeling for men, what I was feeling for women and other gendered people. All I did was just let the ideas simmer and think about them like you say you're doing now. You don't have to go back to empty thoughts about men, as you say. In all likelihood you'll meet some girls and fall in love a few times, like most people do! It happened to me.

I honestly thought there was no chance I would meet a girl and figure everything out about me and my attraction and my previous "feelings" for men and all that stuff, but really it all became simpler over time. I started feeling things for women that was very different than anything else I'd felt before for men and then it was like "oh, I see what this is supposed to be like now!"

I've had a couple crushes and a couple relationships with girls and now it's all really clear to me who I am and what I like and that just took time. It was really difficult at first to get around the feelings I was supposed to have for men. I kept thinking "what if because I liked him/kissed him/slept with him what I'm feeling now is fake?" but honestly that went away too.

I also, like you said about yourself, had a lot of feelings about gay people and gay stories before I ever admitted to myself or figured out that I'm queer. It was like my subconscious was trying to tell me something! I was always super excited about gay stuff and after a while I realized that's because I was looking for myself and a sense of community and representation of who I am.

I don't know if any of this helps at all, but you're definitely not alone in your feelings and your identity as a lesbian is valid. You said you're already feeling more comfortable just by identifying that way and that's a good sign! Things will get better from there and the doubt goes away, if my life is any indication. :slight_smile:

3. Alwyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @ GarbageKnight: Thank you so much for sharing your experiences. :slight_smile: It gives me hope, so yes, it is quite helpful!

I understand what you mean with your subconscious trying to tell you something. One year ago, I had a really special dream in which I kind of met myself. Only it was somehow a better and more feminine version of myself. She touched my hand and showed me "the dairy of my life" and then told me I was a lesbian. I think it was my subconscious showing me a glimpse of who I truly am / can be.

It always felt like an ideal out of my reach but I think I'm much closer now and I can actually feel and see it in my life. I haven't yet a concrete experience with another girl though. I'm also socially awkward so I don't expect it to happen any time soon but who knows what the future will bring.