1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I come out to my parents?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Methrandir, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I think I am going to come out to my parents this weekend but I dont know how to say it to them. Btw i have already come out to a few friends. Thoughts?

2. CrazyBoutBoyz

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, your approach all depends on a few things. First, how do you think your parents would initially react? And, second, how do you think you would feel most comfortable coming out? (I know it's awkward, I nearly cried when I came out to my mom, who had told me repeatedly that she would accept me no matter what)

3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Before you come out to your parents think about the sort of questions they might ask and try to be prepared with your answers. You want to persuade them that you have thought it through and it's not just a phase that all teenagers go through. If you go into it totally unprepared you may not convince them at all and it could end up being a difficult and painful conversation. Try to think about all of the questions they may ask and really do your best to answer in a calm and reasonable way if they don't get it. The very worst thing you can do is to get upset or angry with them because it will lead them to believe you are not happy with your sexuality. Try to avoid conflict, if you can.

You may find this information sheet from FFLAG UK helpful:http://www.fflag.org.uk/images/pdf/parents2012.pdf

You may also find this book list useful (for your parents): Books For Parents

If your parents are not happy when you tell them try to give them time and space to process their thoughts and feelings. It's a lot for them to take on board and they probably have no idea about what's coming. Their first reaction may not be their final reaction, but in the end most parents come round.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

4. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    They wouldnt react badly I think and I would rather tell them seperately

5. BuffySlayerFan1

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Omg, I did the same thing I told some friends I was gay, but I haven't told my parents yet.