1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Intersectionality - activism discussion

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by silent symphony, Jan 12, 2016.

1. silent symphony

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I wrote a blog post about this topic, but I think that the issue of Intersectionality deserves a broader conversation and needs to be brought to the forefront of LGBTQ+ activism.

Intersectionality is basically having identities in multiple minority groups at the same time, marginalized by society in more ways than one. This results in a crossfire of having to defend yourself against multiple intolerant groups of people.

For instance, a Muslim, black, lesbian woman fights Islamophobia, homophobia, racism, and sexism simultaneously.

How does this issue affect you, and do you think that LGBTQ+ activists should give this issue a greater amount of focus and attention? If so, what actions would you like to see the LGBTQ+ community take to address this issue?

:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:ride:

2. Phalange

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm critical to intersectionality.

I'm not denying the fact that minority groups overlap, nor the fact that some are more marginalized, or faces different struggles, than others within a group.

However, intersectionality, in the way it is commonly practice, misses one key ingredient to what causes oppression. That key ingredient is the economic dimension. As in, classes. As in, having the means to control your life (or just to get by, for that matter). The material conditions.

The intersectional discussion is usually about norms and identity. How people of different identities are affected by society. Norms are seen as the cause of oppression. The solution to oppression is thereby discussion, educating people and changing minds. Maybe a law here and there. "If only enough people were to..." is a common thought.

Intesectionality often views class as a stand alone oppression. The term "classism" is commonly used. And "middle class norm". "Classism" is negative attitudes which the middle class has towards the working class. The struggle of the working class is thereby defined as the working class having its identity attacked by the middle class.

Because the solution to the problems which marginalized groups face is for everyone to stop being problematic, right?

But where do these attitudes actually come from? Of course, blaming it on ignorant people who simply don't "get it" is one way to go. If only enough people got it... Right? And then one can pat oneself on one's back for being inclusive by excluding those who doesn't have the right analyze.

Or we could see the material conditons as the cause of the norms, thoughts and ideas. We can (try to) change the norms, the thoughts and ideas, but that won't change the base, the materialistic, the class division. We can change the base, the materialistic conditions, and thereby change the norms, thoughts and ideas, the idealistic. Of course, there are nuances, and the idealistic matters should be kept in mind. But a sole focus on them won't cause any real change.

Now, someone might wonder why the flying fuck class is relevant to norms. Let's take women's oppression as an example. Women have been owned by their fathers, and then owned by their husbands. Through marriage, the man promises the woman security. In return, the woman promises her body, which means the possibility of a son for the man, who will be able to inherit him. Thereby, the man's status becomes important, while the woman's looks/fertility/youth becomes important. Not only that, but because a woman's most important asset is her body (her ability to reproduce), regulating her sexuality is a necessity. Her virginity makes her "marry-able", as she can ensure her child is her husbands, which gives her financial security. This the root of slut shaming.
    By gaining economic power, women gain control over their lives.

A similar explanation can be done on racism. For example in the US, where the white people have owned the black people. Or on a global scale, through imperialism.

The white capitalistic men rule the economy. And that shows through our norms.

Cheers to anyone who has read this far.

So which actions would I like the LGBTQ+ community to take? I'll keep from saying something too radical and just say, practice solidarity. And if someone says something that's problematic, try to base your response on intent. And give each other hugs, lots of hugs.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    ^this so much.

4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

I would like to see people address this issue by stopping phobia towards marginalized groups, and then in return these previously-marginalized groups not becoming phobic towards the previously-'on top' groups. What really annoys me is when people of marginalized status say they want to be 'equal' but then go around saying things to make themselves better than the group that was oppressing them - it makes me think they were really thinking they wanted to be better than rather than actual equality.

[yes, I know it's not everyone in these groups, I'm just talking from what I generally see.]

In LGBT+;

Equal rights for homo/bi/pansexual people - not becoming heterophobic
    Equal rights for trans and non-binary people - not hating on cis people
    LGBT members not hating on other LGBT members

#4 Secrets5, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016