1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LGBT+ Friendly Colleges?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by bubbles123, Jan 11, 2016.

1. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

So I've started looking at colleges and I hope to go to one that's really LGBT+ friendly (in the US). I know a lot in the ones around where I am are and I've looked at a few that I love. I looked at some of the rankings online of best LGBT+ colleges, but I'm just curious if anyone on here has first-hand experience or if there are any colleges you've heard of that are specifically not very accepting.
    Thanks!

2. guitar

Michigan (Ann Arbor) I've heard is pretty LGBT friendly.

3. SharpEdges919

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I go to Northern Illinois University and, in my experience, it's pretty friendly. People that I've talked to don't even blink when I mention that I have a girlfriend. We have an awesome Gender and Sexuality Resource Center with counselors, programs, and other resources for LGBT+ students. There is also a club called PRISM for LGBT+ students. I've only been there one semester so far, but I feel very comfortable being myself at NIU.

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    All of them.

5. Mikelhpc228

Lots of LGBT friendly schools in MASS & New England, But you know that. I've heard that some of the more conservative Christian Colleges are less tolerant of LGBT, but I dont have first-hand experience.

6. tscott

LOL...if you're looking for LGBT friendly schools stay away from both of my alma maters. Both have been rated among the least LGBT friendly schools: Grove City College and Wake Forest University. My ex-wife's alma mater Hamilton College is extremely LGBT friendly, however.

7. IG88

One way you can look for LGBT friendly schools is to see if they offer any LGBT classes! Go to the school's website that you're interested in and search for "LGBT" and see what comes up. They could be their own separate thing, or maybe they're part of a history, sociology, humanities class.

8. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Thanks guys!!