1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

General News David Bowie dies

Discussion in 'Current Events, World News, & LGBT News' started by Typhoon, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Asexual Pirate

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    David Bowie was always one of my favourite artists ever since my mom played his Space Oddity record when I was a little girl. He will be missed :frowning2:

2. Joelouis

Very sad.

I admit I wasn't really much of a fan until I saw the film Hunky Dory which was based largely on the music of the seventies, including that of Bowie.
    Life On Mars was sung brilliantly by Aneurin Barnard.

I Googled much of Bowie's work today and realised how much of a brilliant artist he really was.

R.I.P

3. Florestan

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This hit hard. He was one of my favorite musicians, and my absolute favorite rock star. The world of music, and all art for that matter, owes so much to him.

4. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister didn't even know who he was. How am I related to her?
    David Bowie will always be remembered.

5. Ghosting

I'm an 80s kid and David Bowie was a huge source of inspiration for me.

He was very different and wasn't afraid to be and when I was old enough to question being different as a child and then later question being different as an adult which included my personal understanding and feelings related to gender and sexuality, I found comfort in knowing that someone like David Bowie was out there.

I was first exposed to him as Jareth the Goblin King - music-music exposure didn't come until a little later owing to my young age at the time - and I remember thinking to myself what a vibrant, confident, and wonderfully different (and handsome/beautiful) man he was (for a Goblin King, of course!)... and though I didn't know it at the time, that thought would later become something that I would revisit at different key points in my life and it would also permeate into various aspects of my own life - personal, creative, and otherwise.

I feel an overwhelming amount of grief knowing that someone who's affected me so damned much is no longer here... and yet I also feel incredibly blessed at the same time to have been alive while he was still here on this earth and I can't help but cry and laugh and then cry some more.

"Dance magic, dance..." dear Goblin King and thank you for Blackstar.

6. Methrandir

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This man is a way better model than, say Caitlin Jenner because he promotes self expression and he lives and breathes self expressive art:kiss:

7. RyeTheDauphin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I'm heartbroken. My mum is a huge fan of him and I remember listening to his music ever since I was a little kid. As I got older I loved his sense of fashion and how he always dared to be different and new. He was so versatile, so talented and so loved for his creativity, passion and art and he will be missed by many.

Rest In Peace, Bowie. You will be sorely missed.

8. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had litteraly no idea of this guy's very existence before his death.

Was he really awesome or is it just some social network hype ?

9. Ghosting

... I think it totally depends on your own interpretation, understanding, and even personal experiences to make the judgement call on what's 'awesome' or not.

To me, the impression that was made on me in my childhood (I was an 80s kid; I'm 30someodd years old now to put things into perspective) was something that would later follow me for the rest of my life.

As someone who was 'odd' and 'weird' as a child for a variety of reasons (including being an extreme racial minority and having a disabling medical condition) who grew up in a small-town world that was, politely put, xenophobic and very closed off to the rest of the world, part of my acceptance of my 'original' self as a child and part of my acceptance of my later-realized genderqueer and sexual-queer self as an adult was in thanks to people like David Bowie who wasn't/weren't afraid to be different and try 'different'.

David Bowie helped me to find courage to simply be myself in an environment where the bulk majority of the people would rather first bully you into total submission, declare you mentally insane, and throw you into conversion therapy than to even begin considering that 'different' might actually be 'okay'.

So yes, to me, he's someone who helped me to accept and save myself and I guess depending on people's opinion, that might be considered 'awesome'. Does this mean I think he's totally and absolutely awesome in every way? Nonsense. But does that negate that the name and man mean something to me? Absolutely not.

But hey, I'm also 30someodd years old and I was a child during the AIDS scare in the United States and I remember all too well adults preaching the 'homosexuality is a DISEASE of Satan and you'll get AIDS and die from AIDS!' mantra in addition to all the usual hellfire and brimstone lectures and sermons.

Edit: That said, this doesn't mean I expect anyone to share my opinions. My opinions are of my own and based off of my own personal experiences.

#29 Ghosting, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  10. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have loved Bowie since I was very young and was extremely upset when I heard the news on the radio. His music is amazing (although his latest songs are rubbish) and I loved his style and how he pushed the boundaries of masculinity. The song Young Americans would be my favourite.

RIP David Bowie.

11. 2112

:eek:

12. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    He's been doing rubbish (except a couple of songs) since the 80s. To me the last good stuff, original stuff, was the thin white duke and the Berlin trilogy. To me Bowie (the musician) died in Berlin, and of a glorious death. Then he left the exquisite corpse of Bowie the actor, who was quite good.

The concept of the music videos and visuals were always perfect, but the music... Naw, there were better artists out there.

What he did remains, all the radical innovations, the passion, coolness and originality, but he should have retired as a musician long ago.