1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Way too much British television.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JG1387, Jan 8, 2016.

1. JG1387

I apparently have watched so much British television that I occasionally catch myself falling into British or otherwise U.K. -ish speech patterns and words. Yes I even use an accent at times.

Does any else experience something similar?

It's not really a problem. and actually I quite like it.

2. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    British people are bombarded with American media, and its a common thing amongst ouner generations to take on an American accent whe making a stupid joke or something. And some of our slang is defintely Americanised even though we have loads of our own niche slang and so do you. You also make us confused over whether to use s or z when writing words; we often use s when you'd use z. But really see people just accidently slipping into US speech randomly while talking normally, I guess we have enough good British telly like what you're watching.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I lived in the US, I was surprised to have people gushing over my British accent (which to be honest is a mixture of upper class Oxford English and old school camp). 'Your accent is so cool', they would say. It was a novel experience.

So stick with it, would be my advice. But it has to be the right sort of British accent!

4. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, but not so much with British media as with German media. I find myself pronouncing certain words differently or pronouncing words I've just learned wrong, because I'm giving them a German inflection when there isn't one.

And I only realized how bad it was when my brother was pointing out a certain type of cologne in a store and I pronounced it "Köln", like the city. :roflmao: Not even thinking. It just came out like that.

5. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Oh yeah there are definitely words that have been affected by me learning foreign languages. And words that have become part of my sort of personal slang that are actualy Japanese or German that just sort of seem like the right word sometimes. People I know well get it lol.

6. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I use the words "lovely" and "brilliant" a lot. British slang is fun!

7. confusedbubble

I'm from Leeds Yorkshire so my accent is pure Yorkshire but tends to change if I'm on the phone to people it goes slightly posh

8. Naxams

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    well i don't watch tv at all so no but i rarely but sometimes have a random accent its weird and its in every day conversation

9. Rydia

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Not from watching British T.V., since I don't really, unless Orphan Black counts....which I think is on BBC, but shot in Canada, so I don't think it does....but I have a friend who's a Brit and I sometimes catch myself using expressions I've heard him use from time to time.

10. eMei

Ironic: I'm English and yet prefer American TV. I suppose the grass is always greener on the other side.

11. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    A lot of English kids develop a slight American accent from watching American cartoons, but usually, they drop the accent when they get a little older.
    A lot of people use American words like 'ain't' and 'dude' also, but the accent thing doesn't tend to happen too much.
    I guess it's like how if you like a person, you mimic their body language subconsciously. If you like a character, you may start speaking like them subconsciously also. :slight_smile:

12. McLachlan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Similar thing, I am from the west country and have a bit of an accent, but when I'm on the phone, skype, or anything like that I speak the Queen's English. When I am in court practicing advocacy (law student) I also sound totally different and speak the Queen's English right and proper!

#12 McLachlan, Jan 11, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  13. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My mother does the same thing.. normally speaks with a Yorkshire accent but whenever she's on the phone, she sounds really refined.. it's uncanny. I might do it too but I haven't noticed. I don't think I have a strong accent anyway.

14. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My friends say I sound really posh when I get angry and have a go at someone. It must be quite amusing for the person getting yelled at. :grin:

Other than that I wouldn't really know how to describe my accent. Meh.

15. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I say dude so much, not because of American TV but of this friend of mine who says it sooo much haha. But yes, it's totally not British and bet she got it from watching loads of American stuff. But "ain't" is as much British as American isn't it? I mean, it seems like a bigger thing in America but someone from say... the East end of London would say it.

16. highflyers

highflyers Guest

What on earth do you watch? I can't think of a single friend who has watched television in the past several years, excluding sports and one-off live events like the Royal Wedding.

I can't think of a single British program that me or any of my friends watch anymore! Most people stick to movies which now always are produced by studios based in the United States and even dramas now mainly originate in the US!

I can't even remember the last time I actually sat down to watch a program produced by a British broadcaster, that wasn't sports or one-off live events! It's been nearly a decade now!

Maybe there's a age divide happening here. British TV is shit and no-one watched TV.

#16 highflyers, Jan 12, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2016
  17. state-champs

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    YES!! Thought I was the only one lol. I just started watching SKINS seasons 1 and 2 again and I've been speaking as if I'm from Bristol, England or whatever. I've even begun using British slang in daily conversations and my friends/family will give me weird looks. I've even gone as far as accidentally reading in a British accent as well :O After awhile I'll catch myself and think "what the hell am I doing?"

I'm American btw if anyone was wondering...

#17 state-champs, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  18. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I, uh....I act at Renaissance Faires.....and watch a lot of UK television.....

My speech patterns have permanently changed......

19. Snow

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hahaha, this happens to me almost every time I watch something on BBC. Especially eith Doctor Who.

20. HammerHorror

This happens to me frequently cause I watch mostly British/Irish television. I went through a phase of saying "your man/woman" in reference to the person I was talking to someone about. I think that was while I was going through all of Ballykissangel.