1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my Mom via letter

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sleepwalking, Jan 6, 2016.

1. sleepwalking

So I have decided I am ready to come out to my mom, and I have decided to do so through a letter I have written. I plan to leave it for her to find after I leave to go back to campus for the semester. I have tried coming out in person before, but I never could bring myself to say it, so this is what I've chosen to do. If people wouldn't mind reading through my letter and leaving feedback, I'd appreciate it. I have no idea if I'm going about this in the best way possible. :help:

Mom,
    I know this is something that would be better said in person, but I have tried many times, and I can never get the words out. I have spent the last 5 years or so coming to terms with who I am, and while nothing about me has changed, I feel like it’s time I am completely honest with you. I am not straight. When it comes to the people I am romantically attracted to, the majority of them are other girls. That’s not to say I have something against guys, but I can really only ever see myself settling down one day with a girl. I know that this goes against what you believe is right, but it doesn’t change that this is who I am. I have kept this part of my life to myself for so long and it is a relief to finally let you know. There is a whole other side to my life that I have never talked about. A large number of my friends belong to the LGBTQ+ community, both from high school and now in college. I am highly involved with the Student Alliance at school, which is a queer group that meets weekly to talk about different LGBTQ+ issues and socialize. It is a very close-knit community and everyone is very kind and supportive. The group I spent final week with watching movies and studying? They are a part of the queer community and are some of my closest friends at school. I don’t want you to think any differently of me, now that you know. I still love you and I don’t want this to ruin our relationship. Just because I will someday end up with a girlfriend doesn’t mean you have done anything wrong as a parent. This is just who I am. Feel free to call me and talk with me about this, once you have a chance to take it in. I would prefer if, for the time being you keep this to yourself and not tell dad. I want to tell him on my own terms, when I am ready to do so.

Sincerely, your loving Daughter

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    :eusa_clap :thumbsup:

That letter is beautiful. And you're very brave. I hope things go extremely positive for you. :slight_smile:

3. IrishJ

Fantastic letter, as a parent, after reading this I would want to give you a huge hug and tell you that nothing changes. As much as i appreciate your letter and the thought you have given to this, I would want you to read this to me in person. I understand if you are not comfortable with this delivery, understand that I am an idealist and I am projecting my own desires. Either way, go for it, live your genuine life - J

4. sleepwalking

I have made a few edits to the letter making it a little more clear. Now I just have to work up the courage to actually give it to her.

5. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done sleepwalking girl! A lovely letter.

Best of luck!!

6. Aviator182

Nicely written letter. Reminding her that you don't want her to think differently of you and that you still love her are excellent points. I came out to my mother via letter and it does help relieve the stress of having of saying it all in person. Also, you can make sure the you say everything you've wanted to say for a long time. Good Luck!

7. Silver Sparrow

Your letter looks amazing! I hope everything goes well, and please keep us updated!

8. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your letter reads very well, and I think you have done a very nice job in conveying what you would like your mom to know.

Maybe try finding a good time to give her the letter, or perhaps leave it for her somewhere in the house/apartment where you know she will see it. What could help is to make sure you are ready for it too. So maybe try standing in front of the mirror and say that you want to give the letter to your mom. Try to gauge how you feel. If everything feels alright, try going for it.

Deep breath... you can do this. :slight_smile:

9. cakepiecookie

Your letter sounds perfect! Best of luck with it.