1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do cis people ever question their gender?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by DRex, Jan 5, 2016.

1. DRex

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A common phrase I've heard in response to people who are questioning their gender identity is "cis people don't question their gender." This would indicate that I'm probably trans, but I'm unsure. Do cis people ever ask themselves "is this really who I am?" I'd be interested to see if anyone on here who isn't trans has actually asked that.

2. FootballFan101

Yeah, probobly some do

3. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yep I know i have certainly questioned it, but then i realised that no matter what i do it would never feel right because it wouldnt be biological. so i figured id get on being a dude and enjoy the ride

4. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Most likely. People question who and what they are all the time, and not just gender as the topic of introspection.

5. thepandaboss

I'm sure a lot of cis people have before. Just like how a lot of straight people have probably asked themselves what their sexuality was.

6. Irisviel

well the truth is, most cis people do not question their gender, most straight people do not question their orientation. And I mean, question for real, not just wondering what it would be like or whatever. Of course, most does not mean all of them.

7. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been wondering this myself. Certainly I've seen several people come through the forums who then left after a lil while when deciding they are cis after all. So I've always wondered why we're told cis people don't question themselves.
    I guess cia gender people don't question themselves for months and months, or years.

8. Dragonsclaw

About a year and a half ago I asked my EX if she ever wanted to be male. She said no and asked why. I told her because every day I woke up disappointed that I wasn't waking up as a woman.

9. darkcomesoon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think there are definitely cis people who question their gender, particularly those in the lgbtq community who are conscious of what it means to be transgender but without having a firm grasp on what it really means, and especially masculine women. We get questions here fairly often that basically say "I'm a girl but sometimes I don't like dresses; does that mean I'm trans?" Some of these people do turn out to be trans, but I suspect a lot of them are cis people that have mixed up gender and stereotypes. [note: this isn't a criticism of the people who come here asking the questions. It's an acknowledgement that when trans issues are poorly explained, it often leads people (especially women, because sexism tells them they should already not want to be women) to conflate gender nonconformance with transness] [I apologize if this is poorly worded]

I think spontaneously questioning your gender without having an incomplete knowledge of transness (so, people who either properly understand what being trans is or have absolutely no idea) is much more likely to mean you're trans.

#9 darkcomesoon, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  10. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, a lot of them do. That's not a good standard to go by at all, just questioning doesn't make you trans. Especially with Tumblr promoting everyone to "explore their gender, even if you think your cis".

11. Bibliovian

I absolutely have questioned my gender. There's parts of my that fall more on the masculine side of things, but most of those parts are stereotypes, and are shadowed by my preferences for dresses, make up and lacey things.

12. Athexant

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I guess it's kind of along the same lines as some trans people wondering stuff like: "Am I actually trans?" I find that it's getting more common with the advancement of feminism and the fact that more trans people actually feel safe enough to come out. I feel like society spends too much time trying to find labels to fit them and end up stressing themselves out more than they need to. That's not to say that we shouldn't have labels. I just think that it's lead a lot of people to question themselves based on certain stereotypes.

13. NekoAlex

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, they do. Especially if they are LGB. It's just like how some straight people question their sexuality.

14. Vav

Vav Guest

I've questioned my gender before and I'm pretty sure I'm cis. Mainly because I feel very uncomfortable with the way I get treated by men. I also have some weird sexuality issues. I can't accept myself as a bisexual girl, but I can accept the idea of being genderqueer and bisexual.

15. Contact1111

Contact1111 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can say that I've never found myself questioning whether or not I am satisfied with my anatomy, and I doubt most other people who are cis would. If you are seriously questioning whether or not you are happy with your anatomy, chances are you aren't cis. Have I ever felt that "I'm not really like other males" at times, absolutely. That's probably quite common. Have I done things that would be considered gender non-conforming? Definitely, I have on an occasion. Most people probably have, whether they are LGB or not. However, I think serious gender identity questioning by a cis person is rare. At least, I haven't experienced it.

Some straight people may question their orientation, but this probably isn't all that common either. It's probably not too terribly uncommon either though. That is probably far more common than a cis person wondering if they are trans. I would think that is probably very rare, actually.

OP, if you are questioning it, I think you are likely in the stage of denial. I know it was like that for me when I realized my sexuality. I remember thinking to myself things like, "Everybody probably secretly wants to sleep with their friends sometimes and just doesn't admit it." In reality, I was half-obsessed with some guys I was friends with. I just didn't want to admit that at the time, and I didn't consciously acknowledge it. I think this is the same kind of situation, but with gender identity as opposed to sexuality.

Now, on the other hand, I've sometimes mentally imagined myself in a different way gender wise. Like just imagining oneself as the opposite sex, but not wanting to BE the opposite sex. There is a difference between the two.

#15 Contact1111, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  16. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I was younger I used to tell people I was a boy even though I obviously didn't look like one (but did dress like one) and I used to half convince myself to the point where I was a bit weirded out by looking in the mirror. I even remember trying to convince this boy I was friends with that I had a penis, you just couldn't see it. But I sort of just got over it, it was always more of a thing of thinking girl stuff was stupid and when I finally made some female friends, something I'd been resisting, being a girl didn't seem so awful any more even though I still wasn't girly.

I still think being a guy would be super cool sometimes and I even used to imagine my life as this super buff guy when I was about 13, and hoped I could be reincarnated as a man so I could live it out, but that was sort of fantasy, I didn't feel like I NEEDED to live it. And I don't have dysphoria and there is actually stuff I really like about being a woman and I like to present in a sort of tomboy femme way - I quite like having my feminine edge. Oh and I look in mirrors quite regularly now and its fine lol. So yeah, I'm sure most cis women have never been freaked out by their reflection as a kid, or fantasised about their life as a man so much as a young teenager, but I've never ever felt or even had the idea that I actually needed to change and I think I would miss some things, so I'm completely happy with being cis.

So no, I've never actually questioned it.

17. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard that some question their gender. I think that it really depends on the person though.