1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I have a fever/flu, when the hell is it going to end??

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by blueberrykisses, Jan 5, 2016.

1. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    A few days ago I got a horrible sore throat for like a day, I took some iboprofen and it went away completely, however two days ago I went to sleep feeling really sick and woke up at 4AM to a headache and these HORRIBLE chills and then I started sweating and feeling really hot then I fell back to sleep. The next day when I woke up, I felt pretty much normal, I didn't feel 100% OK but about 80% OK, and everything was fine all day but last night I woke up at the exact same time I did the night before and started getting unbearable chills again and then feeling hot and sweating.... I could feel I have a slight fever all day today but I was pretty much OK and functional but now it is coming over me again... I'm gonna cry if it happens again tonight, it's just unbearable. I am feeling cold now and sitting on my bed in my winter coat. I also have these phlegm coming up although not too frequently. And today I'm also having pain in the back of my neck and its just.... ugh..... is that even connected to the fever??

I'm taking like three ibuprofens a day, I dont know what else I should take? Should I take one of those over the counter flu/fever meds or are they useless?

I dont recall ever having the fever/flu so I dont even know how long this is supposed to last???

:tears:

#1 blueberrykisses, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  2. Nordland

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Don't know where you live. But in the UK you can get anti biotics from your GP, this is only for full on flu though. Also rest well and drink a lot of water. Should last for about a week in my experience, lemsips also help.

#2 Nordland, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  3. InfinityonHigh

Sore throats, chills, coughing up phlegm, and so on are all flu symptoms, so I'd say they're all connected.

The flu is caused by viruses, antibiotics treat bacterial infections, so antibiotics aren't going to help if this is the flu and not something else. The overuse of antibiotics contribute to antibiotic resistant bacteria, so don't take them unless they're absolutely necessary. Over-the-counter medications treat symptoms, not the actual illness. Medications like ibuprofen are there to make you feel better physically for as long as they last, you'll have to let your immune system fight it off for the most part. Antivirals (they treat the actual flu) exist but they require a prescription. For now, rest/hydration are you best bets. Don't forget to eat, fighting an infection takes up energy so you'll need it.

If this doesn't mostly go away in a day or two (most notably the fever), then it's better to go to a doctor and see if it's anything serious.

4. blueberrykisses

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    fifteen minutes ago i went down to the kitchen and i suddenly felt like i was gonn throw up in one second and started sweating and i couldnt see properly, like i thought i was gonna blackout and faint right there and then... i couldnt walk and had to literally crawl up the stairs and was about to call an ambulence and no i am sitting here and i am completely fine. is that even normal...?

5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Go to the doctor.

6. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whenever I have Cold/Cough/Fever/Flu I take Paracetamol three times a day. It tends to zap the energy right out of you, but it works pretty fast. But I'm not a doctor, this is merely a home remedy.

7. InfinityonHigh

I second that.

8. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A note to the OP: antibiotics are for bacterial infections only. The flu, regardless of severity, is a virus and antibiotics are more than useless as treatment. Please don't contribute to the rise of antibiotic resistance by taking them when it isn't necessary. You'll only be given antibiotics if your flu develops into a bacterial chest infection like bronchitis or pneumonia - and that's quite rare unless you're frail and elderly.

You should get better on your own after a 1 week or so. Just rest and stay at home. If you still feel ill and your symptoms don't get better or get worse after around a week, is the time to go to the doctor.

#8 imnotreallysure, Jan 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
  9. BandFangirl

BandFangirl Guest

I've had pneumonia for 5 weeks because the dr didn't want me to go of my antidepressant in order to get antibiotics
    So my suggestion get all types of tests done: flu, chest xray, whooping cough, etc. And get treated because it's a lot better than staying home for 5 weeks!!!!!!!!!! (As you can tell.....I'm only a little annoyed about thin :wink: ;p )