1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just outta Curiosity....

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by JG1387, Jan 4, 2016.

1. JG1387

Has any of you guys(or gals) been asked if you are gay or LGBT in some way during a job interview. I ask because I'm Job huntin' and the possibility crossed my mind. If you have, tell me about it.

I kinda think it's a tad inappropriate.

2. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello,

Why not just say "I find that inappropriate, and highly unprofessional for a job interview.'' - no business wants to look unprofessional so if you said this then hopefully they'll take it out of further interviews and maybe heighten your chance of getting the job for not obeying them for something you find not-right.

#2 Secrets5, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    ... Really ? You think that insulting your potential boss will get you a job ?

It's sad, but unless they're trying to hit on you, you'll have to say you're straight. (At least until the end of your trial period)

#3 Aeolia, Jan 4, 2016
  4. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Insulting = disrespectful or scornfully abusive [google definitions].

By that definition, I find it insulting for them to ask me my sexuality ... whatever sexuality that would be. It's not necessary for the job and therefore irrelevant.

5. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, thankfully-only been on one job so far, but meeeeh wasn't even a formal one.

If I was asked, however, I would reply like this: "I do happen to not be heterosexual, but does it make a difference if I am?" I'm open to everyone, so I don't really care if they know or not. Actually, I find it hilarious if I'm asked the question-not only is it straight-up stupid, it's also an indication that your boss just might be homosexual. I'd rather not work for one who's so against it they actually ask you during the job interview.

6. AlamoCity

I have never been asked, but in the United States you could make a statement saying:

As a courtesy, and so no one gets in trouble, I won't answer that question and forget it was asked because the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission might consider that question discriminatory on the basis of sex."

Keyword is "sex." There is no federal protection on the basis of sexual orientation, but the EEOC is starting to use sex (which is protected by federal law) as a way to potentially protect LGBT people.

7. Kinky

Kinky Guest

I agree, that definitely won't build a good rapport. And if you're in no condition to be picky about your job, being smart-mouthed is not a wise idea.

AlamoCity gives a perfectly reasonable respond, showing both self-respect and consideration to your potential employers.

8. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When there is a rapport of authority, the one above decides what's insulting and what isn't. When you look for a job you aren't equal with the boss, or else they wouldn't be the boss.
    They'll just you "irrelevantly" and "unprofessionally" send you back to the job agency you came from.
    If you have no back up plan and the boss wants you so lick their shoes, you lick them, period. They won't promote you for saying no, they'll fire you.

And Alamo's answer wouldn't work either... Don't be a smartass with the boss, if they can't refuse you for your sexuality, they'll find something else. "Oh yeah, I thought their attitude wasn't befitting of the company image. I couldn't hire someone that would disturb my company." And bye bye, back to point 0.

#8 Aeolia, Jan 4, 2016
  9. AlamoCity

It's also not necessarily "smartass." I had an interview with a Fortune 100 company and I dealt with the HR person first and she even told me when I was taken to a conference room that there was a telephone in a stand in the corner and gave me her extension should anything go wrong during the interviews. There are some companies that would face embarrassment if their employees took certain lines of questioning when dealing with potential hires. Sure, if you get the job you might have an antagonistic boss, but that doesn't mean that you should always just take it. Corporate culture also plays a role.
    ______
    I suppose to clarify I would probably not want to work at a place where, right off the bat, such an emphasis was placed on being straight.

After I didn't get the job I would probably just try to lodge a complaint with the EEOC on the basis of sex discrimination. Not that it would lead to anything, but it would create the company a bit of a hassle.

Prohibited Practices

10. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    No, never. I also work for a company where openly trans and homosexuals do their job beautifully.

11. timo

No I have not.

Many, many gay guys in my office too.

12. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Same :slight_smile:

13. GayPugs

Never happened to me. Mostly because I've never had a job. However, (not to sound bi-phobic) it really bugs me when people ask me if I'm bi automatically. And it happens a lot. It's like this (usually):
    Me: My first kiss was with my current girlfriend.
    Friend: Oh, so you're bi?
    Me: ....No.

It also bugged me when this happened:
    Me: I made this for my girlfriend.
    Friend: Oh...kay? That means...you're temporarily a lesbian?
    Me: NO, YOU ******* I'M AN ACTUAL LESBIAN!

Morons. They're everywhere.

14. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Here in the UK, there are a few jobs I've come across which will ask you your sexuality on the application form. :confused: One of which was a travel agent! I always think it's none of their business really, but there you go. Especially as some have no option to opt out of the question.

On the flip side, I hear certain employers are under pressure to employ more minorities, so it may even work in your favour.

15. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're in the US and you're unsure of if the employer is planning on being discriminatory depending on your answer, I would suggest answering with what Alamo said.

And to answer the question, no, I've never been asked that, even for my job at my school's LGBTQ Resource Center.

16. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    My school does it.
    It is on the list of guarentees to not get hired there (also on it are not being Baptist, and going to a college that is not baptist if not going to their church).

17. Tritri

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I could be wrong, but I think it's illegal for employers to ask that in the US. I've heard that they're not allowed to ask if you're married because it could give away your sexual orientation (at least, it could before SSM was legalized). If they can't ask if you're married, they surely cannot straight-up ask your sexual orientation.

18. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone