1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Alan Downs, author of The Velvet Rage, YouTube vids

Discussion in 'Entertainment and Technology' started by brainwashed, Jan 3, 2016.

1. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  2. 741852963

I've heard of the book before, seems a bit of a hack job though.

Can it really be summarised as "childhood rejection can cause harmful behaviours or the need to prove oneself"? That is what I've got from the blurbs and critical reviews. Surely that is stating the bloody obvious! Can I write a book summarising "our lives are a product of things that have happened to us", slap a fancy name on the cover and begin raking in the cash?

I found another quote by the author on why gay men are often stylists and fashion designers:

Seems to be really overthinking that one to me. I think the main reasons so many gay men are involved in styling/fashion are a. cultural norms and stereotyping (seeing these defined as "gay careers" from a young age), and b. they are industries where fewer straight men work (so a form of self-preservation, subconscious "heterophobia" if you like).

I don't think gay men are any more creative than straight men, not at all, just cultural norms push the two to express their creativity in different forms (for example gay men typically designing dresses, straight men typically designing cars for instance). I do think there is an argument of gay men being more driven (due to a desire to prove oneself or offset the external negativity with praise), but again, surely that is rather common sense.

#2 741852963, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  3. Van

Van

The book is a must-read. :thumbsup:

4. SiennaFire

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    +1 :thumbsup:

The book is a compelling read that has opened my eyes to the landscape of gay culture and even some of the things that I did to deal with the shame before coming out (and even before I came out to myself).

#4 SiennaFire, Jan 4, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2016
  5. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nature vs. nurture. Per my recollection, with limited statistical deviations, its nurture that effects gay men the most.

Ah but for the "way out there" types (2, 3 standard deviations), gay men like Alan Turing I feel there is "something" going on that makes them profoundly different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alan_Turing

6. Van

Van

Yes! It definitely gives answers to so many questions. (I need to read it again.)

7. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, it is an excellent book. Explains so much, and what is more is really practical and helpful.

8. Spartan 117

Admin Team Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've moved this over to Entertainment and Media, as the thread is about a particular author's work. :slight_smile: