1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How did you choose your job ?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Aeolia, Jan 3, 2016.

1. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hi there,
    It's my 2nd year doing nothing at all and I still don't know what to do.

I was wondering, how did YOU choose your job/career ? Has it always been obvious ? Do you enjoy it ? Do you hate it ?

#1 Aeolia, Jan 3, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2016
  2. breq

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I studied Japanese in college and had no idea what to do when I graduated, so I went and taught English in Japan through the JET Program. There, while figuring out my life, I fell in love with teaching and never looked back. Now I've got a Master's in Teaching and a class of my very own! My advice is to take different classes, maybe sit in on a few and find something you like to do!

3. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't think there was ever a real decision that I wanted to have a career as a web developer. It's just something I was interested in and self taught at a young age and then one of my dad's connections got me an internship after my junior year of high school. I kept going back every summer through the end of college and then started full time after graduating so it's the only "real" job I've ever had. Even in college though I had no idea what I wanted to do for work so I just took a general business program with a focus on information systems and computer science.

I like what I do, I'm good at it, and it pays okay so I have no strong desire to do anything else, but this has never been my goal. Actually, I don't think anything career-related has ever been a major goal of mine. I just want to do something I don't hate that occasionally feels rewarding and allows me to live the kind of life I want to live.

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

This is going to be silly...but I really enjoyed CSI: Las Vegas, so I double majored in Toxicology and DNA Serology my freshman year at college. I found out then that I hated science, but still wanted to help people and do something constructive along those lines. I switched to Criminal Justice Administration and then worked for nearly 2.5 years in a probation office in my hometown and as a clerk for the judge I served under, and I really enjoyed that. I liked being personable with people, and we literally changed their lives. Our case loads were almost entirely drug related offenses, and watching people leave addiction and recover was amazing.

After graduation, I moved to a new city to be with my boyfriend and closer to friends. My boyfriend is really technically knowledgeable and worked in the IT Command Center for a large company, a billion dollar conglomerate. I was referred by him, and I was hired at their help desk which paid pretty well for basically little to no work, and I was mostly just a voice and the face of the IT division of the company as the first point of contact for our internal end users. I did that for 2 years and was eventually leading it, a team of approximately 30 people or so, and then I was promoted to the Command Center, so now my boyfriend and I work on the same team.

I had no computer literacy when I was first hired, but now I'm somewhat knowledgeable and I'm holding a leadership position, managing several offshore teams everyday and when shit really hits the fan I'm the person they call. I didn't think I could ever do something like this but I really enjoy it now that I've made a name for myself and really threw myself into it. I'm hopefully going to be promoted again to our global operations team sometime this year and that's really exciting.

5. Aeolia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Wow, thanks for sharing your story. I'm quite speechless and I'm glad you all ended up doing something you like.

6. Goblinn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honestly look at your hobbies. What do you enjoy doing per leisure? I love designing and coding websites. So I'm considering a career in Web-development but I also love computation and technology. Which is why I'm learning web-development on my own and majoring in Computer Science

7. Ninetales

Out Status:
    Some people
    It won't always be clear. Up until my junior year of college I wanted to go into research, but after being a teaching assistant. It became clear teaching was for me. Get out there shadow some people, talk with them and try new things. You might be surprised what you learn.

8. CoochiKabuki

CoochiKabuki Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I wanted a wii u

9. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I went on snag a job and saw what they were offering I have yet to go in to the places I applied at.

10. Pret Allez

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I applied to one job and got it. Terrible fucking decision.

11. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Whelp. I hated the job I had, so I got myself fired, was unemployed for all of November and December, and this was the first place that responded to my application. So, a year later, here we are! :grin:

12. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  13. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The government decided there were too many NEETs so to lower the numbers of apparent unemployment and make capitalism look more successful, they made 16-18 year olds stay in education.

14. VideoGAYmer

VideoGAYmer Guest

SCIENCE IS AWSOME! (Especially quantum physics)

I'm still in school but that's why I will choose my job

15. Aviator182

I decided on my job two ways. First, I was born in to a family of pilots. That helped since I grew up flying. When other kids were getting their driving license, I was taking flying lessons. Secondly, I looked at what I loved to do and what would pay decently. Flying was for me. Making it happen was and still is an ever evolving journey. I honestly can't imagine a day where I wake up and say "I think I hate my job". The best advice I was given was pick a job that you'll love and you'll never really work a day in your life.