1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CALLING ALL VAGINA OWNERS!! (Menstraul cups)

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by thatchickcj, Jan 1, 2016.

1. thatchickcj

AIGHT! I've been curious about menstrual cups for a little over a month and I was wondering if anyone on here has tried them out?

I'm a cis teen girl who can't stand going to the bathroom to change my tampons, and I was honestly hooked by the fact that they last longer than a tampon (twice as long), are re-useable, and have no risk to TSS.

LET THIS BE THE PERIOD THREAD!!!

2. GatheredStatice

I use disposable brand soft cups.
    They have the convenience of tampons b/c they're disposable so no cleaning, but all the benefit of a cup.

The major downside is to my knowledge they only come in one size so they don't fit all women so some experience leakage issues.

There are so many brands that it can be overwhelming but it basically depends on fit and comfort. So it requires trial and error.

3. WhereWeWere

WhereWeWere Guest

I've heard menstrual cups are awesome. I've only used tampons and pads in the past (and present, of course). So where the hell do you buy them? I've never seen them in stores. Do you have to order them online?

I'm sure I'll be getting my period for at least 3 more years, so I might as well treat myself now.

4. thatchickcj

I think you could only buy them online. I absolutely want to try em' out. Tampons are terrible and pads are a nightmare.

5. GatheredStatice

Walmart (mine anyway) carries the soft cup brand.

6. pd04

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What is this invention?! I have never heard of such a thing! But I'm totally fine with tampons so I probably wouldn't use it anyway.

7. Juli

I actually just got some reusable pads and a menstrual cup for Christmas (my mom gives practical gifts). I haven't used the cup yet, but the pads are really comfortable. There's a ton of eco-friendly and healthy options out there if you know where to look.

8. GatheredStatice

search Youtube for mooncup or menstraul cup.
    basically it is a medical grade silicone cup that is used instead of a tampon.
    Benefits include no risk of TSS.
    Reusable types are good for the environment because no landfill waste.

9. driedroses

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used a Diva cup for more than 13 years, and need to get a new one. Definitely worth the money and obviously good for the environment. It can take getting used to, like anything else, obviously. Good luck finding what works best for you!

10. HelloSweetie

I tried the mooncup a few years ago, but I just couldn't get on with it, I found it very difficult to put in/take out and eventually gave up.

11. morphin3

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I know you can get Diva Cups at a lot of health food stores. I haven't seen any other brands anywhere but online, at least around here. They are definitely awesome. I love mine!

12. yeehaw

I bought my diva cup at a health food store called New Seasons. I was buying baby food and just literally bumped into one. I had never heard of a menstrual cup befre, read the package, got super excited, bought one and have nwver looked back.

If yoy cant find one at aealth food store, you can for sure get them online. The cup feels a teensy bit revolutionary to me. I have always hated pad and tampons. I do not hate my cup at all! I don'tfeel it once it's in, it does last way longer than a tampon and the environmental stuff is great. But honestly even without the environmental benefits I muuuuuuuuch prefer the cup. Just a way better experience--not itchy or damp.

If you get one let us know how it goes!!!

I'll also add that the removal stem thing on mine bothered me, it hurt after a while. I tried cutting it off, didn't help much. I read somewhere about turning the entire cup inside out so only the really smooth surfaces were touching you--worked like a charm for me. Removal without the stem isn't a problem for me at all but I'm really comfy getting all up in there and I've given birth vaginally twice to babies with ridiculously large heads. :slight_smile:

#12 yeehaw, Jan 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  13. Hopeful

I LOVE my Sckoon cup! I have a Keeper cup that was latex and the rubber was breaking down so I got the Sckoon cup more recently. I'd recommend either - the Keeper cup did come out with a silicone version.

I found that it was hard taking out my cup at first and I would have to fold it up a bit which could cause a mess but it's definitely been worth it. I only keep tampons for emergencies or for friends and I use reusable pads (also awesome).

My favorite part about the cup is that when I'm near the end of my period and it's light I only need to empty my cup once a day when I shower. It's easy and convenient.

14. Klutz

I've tried a couple different brands. One only had two holes at the top and was awkward to use because it lost it's vacuum effect sometimes. I got a Diva cup and love it. I loved it so much, I told my sister about it. She loved it, too. If I had to list products that changed my life, this would be on there!

15. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Wow. I didn't know these were so popular.

16. Lyana

They're not popular enough! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: At least where I live most women have never heard of them. I became curious because of the internet. I've been using disposable softcups as a trial for several months now, and when I run out I'll definitely buy a reusable cup. These things are just so... great. And the reusable ones are environment-friendly.

I was really happy when I switched from pads to tampons, and moving from tampons to cups has also been great. What's my next discovery... :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's not something I ever want to try. I don't like the idea of sticking something up inside me for a few hours. I've tried tampons. Didn't like them. I'm a pads-only person.

18. MidnightHunter

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm usually fine with tampons but these don't sound so bad.

19. WallWeed

I have a Lena cup and I absolutely love it. Saves money, no leakage, and it spares me the horrible, dysphoria-inducing waltz down the tampon isle.

However! Let me make it clear that there is a definite learning curve to these things. I was so hyped to get one of these, but the first day was largely disheartening as I feared I would never be able to use it again (due everything about it hurting like hell). Needless to say, take your time getting used to it. Learn a few different folds and find out which one works best for you, use a bit of lube until you get the hang of it, and push it in farther than you think it should go BEFORE you release the fold.

#19 WallWeed, Jan 24, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  20. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All right, so I'm not a vagina owner, but I have a very close relationship with someone who possesses both a vagina and a Diva Cup. She absolutely adores her. She cleans it twice a day- once in the morning before she goes about her day, once at night before she goes to bed. She says the rest of the time, she doesn't even know it's there. No leaks, no pain, minimal mess, cost effective. She says there are no downsides to it.